Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Clark Jungle Hammock

When I was in the market for buying my first hammock years ago this was one that I almost bought until I ran across the HH. I have always wants to try this one though. Does anyone have an inputs on this one.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I have been interested in CJH for a while, but you don't really hear that much about them in the hammocking community.

I am really interested in the North American model which claims to be the "first four-season hammock". If you look at the pictures you can see that they are only using a sleeping bag for a pad. I wonder how well they function in the cold.

The also rate the North American with a 900 lb. maximum load. The Ultra light model is rated at 600 lbs.. It may be just me but these stats seem to be,well, maybe a little exaggerated. A HH max load is 200-300 lbs, depending on model.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    My daughter has one and I've slept in it a couple of times. I'm a newbie so keep that in mind. I'm one to buy high quality outdoor equipment and I can say it seemed like a very high quality hammock. There are a couple of different and interesting features which I feel sets it somewhat apart. The bug netting is suspended from above and unzipps on both sides all the way to the top suspension line. In hot weather you can roll it up and tie it to the line. It also has a seperate solid piece of cloth that zipps right over the bug netting and is waterproof. (pretty sure the zippers aren't) I would imagine that would also serve to hold in quite a bit of heat and eliminate drafts. The other nice thing is that it has several quite large pockets on the underside which can be used for storage and/or insulation. In a pinch I could imagine stuffing leaves in there for additional insulation. It also has interior pockets and hanging loops. I had a problem with the netting being too close to my face. I did see an easy fix in the Whiteblaze Picture Gallery. It was a piece of a coat hanger cut so that it could hook into the zippers and act as a spreader bar....simple and effective. It's also on the pricey side. In short...a really high quality piece of equipment with some nice features. One last note...I slept like a baby in the Clark...it's what got me out of a tent and into a hammock. Having said that...I bought two Tom Claytor Jungle Hammocks which has everything I THINK I want/need at a very nice price.

Miguel

I started using my Clark Tropical in the summer of '05. I posted this reply over in Whiteblaze.net

Satisfied with Clark Tropical
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I backpack in Vermont in the summer and this past winter chose a Clark "Tropical" after looking at both Clark and Hennessey. Have been very happy this summer using it during both rainy and dry conditions, and both warm and cool (low fifties). I liked the four pockets underneath the Clark, the neat "pistol pockets" inside the hammock for glasses and headlamp, being able to sit in it from either side, the no-seeum bug net, the optional Weathershield for warmth and a wind break (can zip on either or both sides while in the hammock), the weight (3 lbs. 2 oz. w/Weathershield), the simplicity of setup (2 ropes plus 2 strings to hold up the bug net plus optionally 4 more strings to guy out the rain fly to either vegetation or hiking poles. Plus it all folds nicely into a little bag attached inside one of the pockets - the bag closes with a velcro strap and has a handle strap - goes right into my pack above my sleeping bag. You do need a sleep mat for insulation. And I can sleep on my back or on my side (not on my stomach comfortably) and it has never come close to tipping.

For me the main tie-breakers were the side entry and the pockets.

------

I have now used the Clark a total of 16 nights on the trail and am more satisfied than ever. BTW, my wife bought a Hennessey this past summer, choosing it over the Clark because of its lighter weight and wider berth. I suggest you try them both if you can.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Now I remember why I did not get one. It was the weight and the ammount of tye-outs. I have always wanted to try one though. I wish there was someone close to me that had one. I would really like to try one.

Images
    For me the Clark is an example of the design ethos of adding things to a basic concept until it works. NASA uses the same ethos, which is probably why their stuff is so heavy and expensive, and keeps blowing up. They seem to be masters of finding billion dollar solutions to million dollar problems.

I prefer Antoine de Saint-Exupery's mantra, ie that "An object reaches a state of perfection, not when everything that can be added has been added, but when everything that can be taken away has been taken away."

The Hennessy's come close, but end up losing their versatility in the process.
    Last edited by Aramis; 10-24-2006 at 19:23.

I have an HH ultralight and a Clark. About this time of year I retire the HH and use the Clark hammock. With the weather shield up, pockets stuffed with extra clothes, sleeping in a Marmot Helium 15 degree bag and using a Z-rest I can hang comfortably in the low 20's. That's as cold as I've had it.

The Clark is a bit heavier than the HH, but far less fuss-factor for winter use. With the side entry there are no gymnastics required to get into the bag and the Z-rest stays where you put it as well.

Five years of ownership

Hi,
    I'm a big Clark fan. I've never slept in a HH but have napped in one.
    I've had three different models - the Tropical is my newest.
    All clarks are best for winter hammocking - the mat/insulator stays put and is the simplest/lightest solution to stay warm. I too have tested mine down to 20* - with a 15* Mountain Hedrware (synth) bag.

I think the tie downs are easier to manage than the HH.
    I can't sleep on the ground anymore...

Email me if you need to know more

Rob

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    My daughter has one and I've slept in it a couple of times. I'm a newbie so keep that in mind. I'm one to buy high quality outdoor equipment and I can say it seemed like a very high quality hammock. There are a couple of different and interesting features which I feel sets it somewhat apart. The bug netting is suspended from above and unzipps on both sides all the way to the top suspension line. In hot weather you can roll it up and tie it to the line. It also has a seperate solid piece of cloth that zipps right over the bug netting and is waterproof. (pretty sure the zippers aren't) I would imagine that would also serve to hold in quite a bit of heat and eliminate drafts. The other nice thing is that it has several quite large pockets on the underside which can be used for storage and/or insulation. In a pinch I could imagine stuffing leaves in there for additional insulation. It also has interior pockets and hanging loops. I had a problem with the netting being too close to my face. I did see an easy fix in the Whiteblaze Picture Gallery. It was a piece of a coat hanger cut so that it could hook into the zippers and act as a spreader bar....simple and effective. It's also on the pricey side. In short...a really high quality piece of equipment with some nice features. One last note...I slept like a baby in the Clark...it's what got me out of a tent and into a hammock. Having said that...I bought two Tom Claytor Jungle Hammocks which has everything I THINK I want/need at a very nice price.

Miguel
    yep,i love my tom claytor jungle hammock for sure neo

Hammock
    Clark
    Insulation
    Closedcell padding
    Images
    Troll-You really need to try one. Especially where you live. This will be your 3 season hammock. No need to for all the extra stuff to add underneath like on your HH. Just a closed cell pad which I carry folded up in the pocket of my backpack that usually has the backpad. MY ULA had a stiff board that I switched out with a closed cell pad that came with another pad or you can buy your own. But, when it's cold and wind is blowing there's nothing warmer than a Clark when you have the pad in the bottom and it's zipped up tight so that no wind can enter and it keeps your heat in.

Also, I keep my down sleeping bag in the hammock and stuff the whole thing in my backpack. The hammock is pretty much water proof so that protects my bag and everything is ready to go when it comes time to set up camp.

Contact Clark Jungle Hammock and they will be glad to send you one, if you don't like it just send it back. My feelings are that you'll keep it.

You would want the North American model that has the weather shield. I also see that it has two extra pockets now inside the hammock that mine didn't come with. I added a line across the inside of mine which I attched a mesh pocket to store little stuff so that I don't have to unzip anything to get to things that i might need. Also, having your shoes and everything else in the pockets underneath you makes it nice in the morning when your getting out of it.

http://www.junglehammock.com/deluxefeatures.php
    Last edited by Hokey Pokey; 02-12-2007 at 18:58.
    Hikerhead

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast