Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps

Angry Sewing issues

I've been trying to get my Singer 99K working and failing miserably. The most I've been able to do is sew about an inch, then everything binds up and stops. The stitches on top look ok but the bottom is a complete mess and I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'll try to take pictures tonight.

I know I have the machine threaded correctly. There's a part in the instructions where it talks about manually bringing the needle down to catch the bottom thread, then putting the fabric in and manually lowering the needle into it before sewing. That's where I think things are going haywire. I'm having to cut my test fabric out because thread ends up everywhere. It could be the bobbin tension but I doubt it since I bought it used and haven't changed any settings.

At this point I'm frustrated enough to go buy a cheap machine just to see if it's me or the machine.

Hammock
    Bonefire whisper/Airship
    Tarp
    Airship
    Insulation
    WB Yeti//HG TQ
    Suspension
    All in one
    Images
    Sounds like you need to adjust the tension and or clean your bobbin case and bobbin housing. Sometimes the bobbin housing gets gummed up with dust , fabric, lint etc. You still may need to adjust the tension even if you haven't used the machine for awhile. I had to adjust mine before after storage . Good luck!
    Last edited by Jaxx; 01-27-2016 at 11:47.
    Don't be scared ,it's just a beard.

My youtube videos on Hiking ,Camping & Cooking

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Edge w/doors
    Insulation
    UQ:CS 5 TQ:CS 7.5
    Suspension
    Webbing, buckles
    Are you trying to sew your hammock material? While you are trying to get it to work, you may want to get some regular cotton fabric scraps and use them. If you don't have any scraps, quilting fat quarters are easy to get and work with.

Hammock
    Envy S
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Do you have a drop in bobbin or must you place it in bobbin case? If you have a bobbin case check the tension of the case. To do this load your bobbin in the case, Then hold by the thread and the bobbin and case should drop approx 4-6 inches before stopping. If it does not drop your tension on the bobbin case is to tight.
    Hammeck - Hammocks, stands, and accessories, made by the Meck family.

Like us on Facebook!

Insulation
    Costco Quilts
    Check your top tension...I found that if too tight the needle would come up the thread instead of bringing it up, resulting in a mess underneath as extra thread was left there.

Hammock
    DIY Robic 1.0
    Insulation
    DIY top quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I had the same thing happen to my singer. I took all the thread out of the bobbin, then rethreaded it and the top and it worked like a charm. Hope this helps.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The biggest problem is the top tension. For some reason it is too loose. That's too loose. Instead of pulling up the loop, the take up arm strips the thread off the spool leaving the loop down under. When you thread the machine make sure the needle is in the highest position, as well as the take up arm. Raise the presser foot. All those release the tensikon plates allowing the thread to properly engage. Leave the bobbin alone unless you know precisely what you and doing and why. The bobbin tension plays no part in the problem you are describing. The 99 is a real work horse. It should serve you well if it is properly maintained.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY 1.6oz HyperD GE
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    HG 20, DIY Wooki
    Suspension
    UHMWPE webbing
    Images
    I have a Singer too, rethreading everything (!) often helps with these issues. Sometimes the thread looses its path in the bobbin or wraps around the needle. If you already tried rethreading several times, adjust the tension of your top thread (see previous post).

Hammock
    Dream Freebird 11.5'
    Tarp
    12' DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    strap + mule tape
    Images
    A couple things to try would be to clean out any lint, excess thread, etc from the place where the bobbin goes, and to make sure to oil the machine in all of the recommended places.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps
    Thanks for the quick responses, everyone! I just found a sewing forum that also recommended adjusting the top tension, so I'll play with that tonight and see what happens. The top tension knob doesn't have any dials/numbers so it will be trial and error. As for the stitch control all I have is a knob, so that should be interesting once I get more comfortable with it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast