Tarp
    OES G4
    Insulation
    EE, HG PHOENIX
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Xenon Sil Vs Poly Sil

What are the pros and cons if I were to match these contenders in a battle of the tarps? Tried to search for a better comparison but couldn't find to much to reference.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I've only used silpoly, which is great. My understanding is that xenon is a comparable product, but I haven't used it myself. I believe that both are polyester, which give significantly less strech than silnylon, and better UV resistance.

The only real difference I can tell is that xenon lists a hydrostatic head of 1000' while silpoly, I believe, is 1500. This would mean that silpoly is a bit more waterproof (I.e. Less prone to misting), but others may correct me.

I've purchased from both vendors, and have never had any real complaint with their products. I is suspect that you won't go wrong either way.

Hammock
    Knotty DIY, WBRR
    Tarp
    OES, camo Tadpole
    Insulation
    Burrow, Leighlo 66
    Suspension
    Whoopies, webbing
    Silpoly PU4000 is rated at 4000 for a roughly $1 per yd premium over the regular silpoly. This is the fabric I'm going with, but all are pretty good

Images
    [QUOTE=Monkeyboy42;1576936]

The only real difference I can tell is that xenon lists a hydrostatic head of 1000' while silpoly, I believe, is 1500. This would mean that silpoly is a bit more waterproof (I.e. Less prone to misting), but others may correct me.QUOTE]

Xenon definitely rates higher than the 1000 Dutch lists, he is just being conservative as usual.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images

Hammock
    Dream Freebird 11.5'
    Tarp
    12' DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    strap + mule tape
    Images
    From the first link:

"By far the highest quality DIY material is sample 6 [SilPoly PU4000]. The tester only goes to 3514 mm H2O to prevent possible damage to the fabric. The test results showed the HH was in excess of the maximum possible HH test level even after 5,200 wet flex aging cycles (simulates about 2 weeks of wind and rain use; degradation normally levels off after about this level of stress). Later in the post detail section, the 20 mm field of view (FOV) clearly shows this fabric has the closest weave to minimize exfoliation of the coating."

I recently made a tarp, and this was a big reason I went with this fabric. It is only slightly heavier that the usual SilNylon or SilPoly tarp fabrics.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPicker View Post
    From the first link:

"By far the highest quality DIY material is sample 6 [SilPoly PU4000]. The tester only goes to 3514 mm H2O to prevent possible damage to the fabric. The test results showed the HH was in excess of the maximum possible HH test level even after 5,200 wet flex aging cycles (simulates about 2 weeks of wind and rain use; degradation normally levels off after about this level of stress). Later in the post detail section, the 20 mm field of view (FOV) clearly shows this fabric has the closest weave to minimize exfoliation of the coating."

I recently made a tarp, and this was a big reason I went with this fabric. It is only slightly heavier that the usual SilNylon or SilPoly tarp fabrics.
    My only concern with the PU4000 is the reduced tear strength compared to the Sil Poly or Xenon Sil, and even more so than regular Silnylon. It depends on intended usage though I guess.

Hammock
    Dream Freebird 11.5'
    Tarp
    12' DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    strap + mule tape
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SimonMc View Post
    My only concern with the PU4000 is the reduced tear strength compared to the Sil Poly or Xenon Sil, and even more so than regular Silnylon. It depends on intended usage though I guess.
    Good point. To clarify, I think the PU4000 is the same exact material as second generation SilPoly, but with an added polyurethane coating on one side. So it should be as strong as that.

Not sure how PU4000 stacks up strength-wise against Xenon Sil. Any poly material is going to be less strong than a comparable weight SilNylon. There are definite tradeoffs to be considered.

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    Xenon Sil for the win, the name sounds cooler.

I'm interested in some real opinions as well; looking at building a tarp from one of these materials this summer. Still kicking myself for not buying the Xenon Sil when dutch had it on sale last fall.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPicker View Post
    Good point. To clarify, I think the PU4000 is the same exact material as second generation SilPoly, but with an added polyurethane coating on one side. So it should be as strong as that.

Not sure how PU4000 stacks up strength-wise against Xenon Sil. Any poly material is going to be less strong than a comparable weight SilNylon. There are definite tradeoffs to be considered.
    Yep agreed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast