Tarp
    Olive Garden hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Diy trekking poles

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...91#post1576591

The poles are finished, and weigh in at a scant 6.7oz for the pair!

Updated pictures as well.

Not sure if I could post here too, mods, feel free to delete from this sub forum if necessarily, just wanted everyone to see this.

Thanks
    Last edited by DiyGuy83; 01-27-2016 at 15:00.

Hammock
    Tablecloth (silver)
    Tarp
    Olive Garden hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Finished product

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Can you post it here in its entirety for those of us slackers who aren't contributing? Your finished post has nothing in it.

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    The mods likely moved it for him. He won't be able to post it on this side.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    Tablecloth (silver)
    Tarp
    Olive Garden hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I will try, but that's why I only posted the link, don't be surprised if it is gone shortly...

Hammock
    Tablecloth (silver)
    Tarp
    Olive Garden hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I am running out of things I can make unfortunately, so here is my latest venture. I didn't want to drop $200.00 on the Gossamer Gear LT3/4 poles so I decided to make my own. I called up my local Golfsmith retailer and asked what their cheapest graphite shafts were, they told me that in their store they only carried the $19.99 shafts, but online they have $4.95 shafts. The guys that I was talking to said they did have a few older graphite shafts that came off other customers clubs that they didn't want anymore, I asked how much those were and he told me that he would just give them to me! Score!!! Then I wen to REI and picked up some Leki flex tips, those set me back $20.00, so far, I'm in at $20.00. They were a bit more expensive than the tips that Gossamer Gear sells, but along with being frugal, I'm also impatient. I then scoured this forum, BPL, and whiteblaze to figure out a suitable grip. After some deliberation I settled on the Gossamer Gear grips, $22.50 plus shipping, about $30.00 total.

I am waiting for the grips to come in currently but I have since finished the tip installation and the sanding on the shafts.

For the sanding, I slid the tips on and marked where they sat on the shaft, removed the tips then used blue painters tape to cover the "hidden end" of the shaft. I grabbed my cordless drill and put the tapped end into the drill, gently tightened it down then start the sanding on my make shift lathe.

I started with 100grit then 200, 400, 600, 1000, and finished with 2500 grit to remove the graphics and get a very smooth finish.

Next I removed the tape from the tips and inserted them into the Leki tips, the tips were slightly larger than the shafts so instead of using an epoxy to adhere the tips to the shafts, I used heat shrink tubing to achieve a tighter fit. I didn't want the tips to be permanently attached in the event of a break, I could just replace the shaft. But, they do not come off easy by any means!

Before I put the tips on, I put on a small o-ring, then installed the tips. The o-ring is purely aesthetic.

I put some heat shrink tubing on the top edge for a smooth way to go into the grip. When I get the grips, I will measure the length of the inside hole to determine where I put the "keeper loops"

I am going to take a length of z-line, tie an overhand knot then slide heat shrink over the line, double line back down then slide the grip on. I am thinking this will be the strongest way to attach the line without drilling into the shaft and compromising the structural integrity.

Here are some pictures.

Attachment 123555

Attachment 123556

Attachment 123557

Attachment 123558

Attachment 123559

Attachment 123560

Just got the grips in the mail, and went ahead and installed them, they slid on easy enough, I just used a little gulf wax to aid in installation so I wouldn't rip the grip.

I used the method in my first post to attach the keeper loop, then just used electrical tape to smooth everything down and keep it in one place when sliding the grip on.

For the straps, or lack there of, I am just using some shock cord with a double fisherman's knot to go around my wrist, then attaching that to the keeper loop via a tiny s-biner (plastic). All that jazz weighs in at 2.5g per.

Attachment 123691 Attachment 123692 Attachment 123693

Attachment 123694 Attachment 123695 Attachment 123696

Attachment 123697

Can't see pics or the thread referenced in the OP.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Those look sharp!

Hammock
    DIY: HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Love this! I use to build Custom golf clubs! I may have a couple of graphite shafts laying around somewhere! Thanks for sharing a great idea!

Nice work!

• + New Posts