WBBB XLC, Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu.
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by papermachine View Post
    Finished my first top quilt (2nd DIY project after a sock-style bug net). These aren't technically from CDTs, but are similar throws a friend picked up at Sams for ~$13 each. They are slightly smaller than CDTs (60x50 in), so I cut a few rows from a second throw and sewed them together. Ripped out vertical seems and used KAM snaps to create the footbox so I can open it up to have a rectangular blanket when desired.

I've been infected by the DIY bug. Working on a CDT UQ next, and ordered silpoly for a winter tarp. I really appreciate all the ideas on this forum!

Attachment 150038Attachment 150039Attachment 150040
    Love the style of yours. Any chance you have the final dimensions of your quilt and the foot piece. Did/do you have a pattern for the snap placement. I'm sure I could work it out on my own but if you already have it I could save some time.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

I made my quilt from a couple of smaller Sam's Club throws, but here is a diagram showing how you could cut and rearrange sections of a single CDT to get the same final dimensions of my topquilt (80x50 inches plus 10x20 in. footbox end-piece). I put snaps at the location of horizontal seams (i.e. every 5 inches) to close the bottom 20 inches of the quilt, and every 3-4 inches for the rectangular footbox end-piece. For each snap, I put one side of the snap near the quilt edge, and the mating snap piece about 2 inches from edge of the rectangular end-piece. This created some material overlap when closed/snapped to prevent air gaps (hope that description makes sense...)

I actually sewed one edge of the rectangular footbox piece to the edge of the quilt to keep it permenantly attached (see picture of opened quilt in previous post.) This reduced the number of snaps needed, and prevents me from removing the endpiece completely and potentially losing it.

CDT topquilt diagram.jpg

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu.
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Thanks. Never thought about making it narrower, and using the extra for length I have two throws so maybe I can save one for around the house. my wife loves it in the winter. Do you find the 80" long enough. I'm 6"1' and found the quilt as is just a hair too small. Was thinking about adding four rows from the second quilt. But with the extra piece to seal the end of the foot box I will have more useable space down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_Adkins View Post
    Thanks. Never thought about making it narrower, and using the extra for length I have two throws so maybe I can save one for around the house. my wife loves it in the winter. Do you find the 80" long enough. I'm 6"1' and found the quilt as is just a hair too small. Was thinking about adding four rows from the second quilt. But with the extra piece to seal the end of the foot box I will have more useable space down there.
    I got the idea for the narrower/longer design from another member of this forum. I'm 6'3" and I find it long enough. With the extra piece on the end for the footbox, it easily covers my shoulders and neck. You could always start with this single-throw 80"x50" design, and if you find it too short, then take one or two rows from the second throw add them to the head end of the quilt to lengthen it.

Here is an under quilt I made using the Clew suspension. I ripped all the seems but until I had only 5 chambers. Added a 3" faux baffle on the inside. Took about 6oz of down from another CDT and there you have it. It's shorter than most UQ as it's for my 8yr old son.

Images
    16641087_10212119924218145_8492490934444883612_n.jpg16711620_10212117348433752_2270687276330723052_n.jpg16730557_10212119703852636_6306982300761187257_n.jpg16807800_10212118085492178_294111008320029089_n.jpg

This is a fantastic thread! I made some end channels pulled through some shock cord and a couple cord locks and that was about it for an underquilt, the top quilt was a single channel and a drawstring and about 4 snaps for a quick foot box. I intend them for fair weather use or to supplement a 20° Outdoor Vitals Aerie UQ. I've only gotten down into the teens with it, but I think I could push 0° F with such a combo. This thread is a ton of fodder to consider regarding future attempts! Awesome.

Hammock
    DIY 11' 1.6 hex
    Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    down warbonnet, HG
    Suspension
    DIY straps and Who
    Images
    hammock5.jpghammock3.jpghammock4.jpg

Not a Costco quilt , but a Sam's Club Eddie Bauer underquilt. Unstiched to make channels and increase loft and then sewed two quilts together.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    DIY Xen Sil winter
    Insulation
    WB Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Took one and made a simple sleeping bag for my 7 year old - he stayed toasty with that as top insulation down to like 45 degrees over the weekend (used 20 degree UQ with it)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.”

Hammock
    DIY Robic 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    UGQ/DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie/straps
    Images
    Does it count if I only used the down from the Costco quilts?? I used blue membrane 10 for the inside, white 1.0 Hyper D for the outside, 3” baffles and a little 1.9 robin egg blue to trim the sides and of course the down from four Costco quilts. I am hoping that it is rated for 0*. I will be giving it a test run this weekend at the Michigan winter hang.

3C3DA7F0-F478-4C9D-B589-DCA5EA4AC872.jpg

Here's mine. A no sew CDQ Topquilt. Built it with two CDQ's overlapped. Ripped the horizontal seams and off-set the baffles on the overlap. There is about 2.5 baffles on each side that are single layer. I made it so that I can add a third layer using cam snaps with a third quilt. Did a simple shock cord footbox using grosgrain loops.

With three layers it is really warm! No problem at 30 degrees first night out. Really think it could have gone much lower. Used a triple layer Gemini Underquilt that can be converted to double or single. The drawback to these is that they are heavy, but in the equation of warmth, low weight and low cost getting all three is above my pay grade.

20180110_162852.jpg 20180110_162926.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 34 of 40 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast