Dutch Argon 1.6 DBL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly + Noah 12
    Insulation
    New River Long
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I don't sew, so I looked up on the internet how to make an UQ insert and a TQ with Kamsnaps. My first attempt to make an UQ insert was to Kamsnap together up the sides to make it a double layer insert. I lay left to right in my hammock so I snapped the UQ insert to the inside of the River Long 30 degree UQ diagonally to keep it in place. It works great!
    My TQ (last picture) goes inside my 20 degree sleeping bag. So far...all together i'm in the sub 17 degree range....and it's REALLY warm. I have two more CDT's so I am thinking about a local quilt maker to make me a hat/beanie and foot box instead of using a down jacket.
    UQ2.jpgUQ1.jpgUQ3.jpgTQ1.jpg
    Last edited by kormi; 12-26-2019 at 10:37.

Here's my Costco UQ...

IMG_0004.jpeg

It's not the Black Diamond, one of the other brands (pretty sure they're all the same). I went with a simple, standard design. Picked the long baffles to allow fill to move left-right, shook out 8" from the side, stitched a new long seam, and cut that 8" of fabric off. Instead of adding grosgrain channels, I just rolled the existing fabric over for channels. A single loop of shock cord goes through the long channels for suspension (with a biner at each end). And a length goes across each end with cord stops to cinch the quilt up around my feet and body.

I'm 5'7" and the quilt is long enough for toes to armpits. So, 3/4 length by most standards. I'm only planning to use it in the summer at altitude (3k-4k feet in VW and WV) and just need to edge taken off the night chill.

I'll be doing a simple top quilt next weekend with the 2nd quilt.

TQ and UQ for $63 total ($50 for 2 quilts, $10 for hock cord and stops, and $3 for a pack of small biners), and a few hours sewing. Not bad.

Images
    What quilts can be used to make a under quilt? Any specific site to get them?

Quote Originally Posted by zdubb View Post
    What quilts can be used to make a under quilt? Any specific site to get them?
    Pretty much any quilt, blanket, or old sleeping bag. The cheap down throws from Costco are popular because they’re inexpensive for down, so make a good DIY project. The other popular choice is a surplus Army poncho liner. The Costco quilts are available on Amazon as well, but twice the price. The poncho liners are available from most surplus suppliers or Amazon.

Tarp
    DIY Butterfly Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Hmm, I made mine by combining down from two throws via a thread on this forum. I'll try to find it for you. I'm thinking of adding down from a third.

Tarp
    DIY Butterfly Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ

Quote Originally Posted by KnottyWood View Post
    Hey all finished my Costco DIY finally. Final dimensions are approx 80x 47. I'm tall and wide, these measurements only allowed for about 1/2 inch faux baffles to be sewn, I also added 6oz of 800fp down from Dutch

Full Length

This is the seam to add 10in extra length taken from the donor blanket fabric, sewn kind of like a pillow case

Around 3in of loft, stuffed a tad more down into middle channels than the outter, not sure how much of a difference it makes.

I am very pleased with the result of this project, these forums were so awesome, all kinds of info and ideas brought about! With polyp base layer I slept very comfortable at 26°F low here in the southeast United States. In case you are wondering the Velcro is for a reflectix sheet idea I had for added heat retention but haven't tested it yet. Thanks for everyone's input and happy hanging!
    The quilt looks great! Can you elaborate on sewing the extra section "like a pillowcase" a little more? It may be me but I dont follow..

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bser272 View Post
    This thread was a good idea BigE.

Here's my topquilt:
    Attachment 123521

My Underquilt (I've since added a secondary suspension):
    Attachment 123522

I'll have to dig up pictures of my wife's full length UQ...

And my newest project, the Black Rock inspired down beanie:
    Attachment 123523Attachment 123524Attachment 123525

Used about 18 squares of the throw, although I could have gotten away with 12. 168 total squares/12 per beanie, means you could make 14 beanies from one throw!
    I dont have photos, but this is the top quilt and bottom quilt design that I've usef for several years. I am very pleased that you guys here on hammock forums shared it with me.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 30383940