Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Just finished this one today. First DIY project.

Hammock
    DL XLC 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    EE , DIY
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Slapchop07 View Post
    Just finished this one today. First DIY project.
    Very Nice!

Hammock
    GT Single
    Tarp
    TRD Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ/CDT TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies and MSH
    Just picked up one today. Going to try and make a TQ. Had an idea to add some snaps on the inside and make another TQ with snaps on the outside. A TQ for me and my fiancé, but I can double up for myself when it's colder (and she's less likely to be camping)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    I really really wish we had a Costco here...
    Debi

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    So.. pretty much half of the CDT UQ's pictured in this thread have the channels running perpendicular to the torso (horizontal) and the other half are running parallel (vertical).. The great debate.

It would seem to me that keeping the channels running parallel (vertical), will keep insulating down up and around you body as opposed to it falling down and settling below you. Argument is often made that having it settle below you increases the insulating value on your underside, which I imagine it does, but my legs and arms are often up against the sides of the hammock and if all the down migrates below me, I have nothing left to insulate my sides.

Further, having the channels run parallel will let any migrating down drift down away from the head and foot ends. Since I started using a pillow I haven't had any issues with my head getting cold, and my feet are in foot box of the TQ.

I am about to start pulling seams on my CDT and I am leaning towards keeping the channels parallel to the length of my body.. Am I making a mistake?
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 2.0
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    Down quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I am about to start pulling seams on my CDT and I am leaning towards keeping the channels parallel to the length of my body.. Am I making a mistake?
    I can't make any claims about which direction is warmer, but if you're planning on lengthening the quilt you will need to use perpendicular channels.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Cave Creek Netted
    Tarp
    Cave Creek FC
    Insulation
    Cave Creek 30
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Here are my first attempts at DIY with the Costco Throws.

Took 1 throw and cut it in half, folded each half over and made 2 separate 2 layer dog beds for backpacking. I added Kam Snaps to make them into doggy sleeping bags as well. Mine and my brother's dogs are Australian Shepherds and will only need to us as a sleeping bag if it was below zero, and in that case, I won't be out anyways so will be mostly used as a bedding. As you can see, my dog loves it.

I then made two, removable double layer underquilts. Sewed in channels the short way with some ripstop 1.9, folded over the length wise for long channels, added cord and hardware and there you go. I used line locks on each corner running to the s biner with shock cord to keep it in place where you want it and then shock cord in the cinch channels on the short ends and full length shock cord all the way through the long ends for suspension.

I then added Kam Snaps along the ends and sides and added a second full costco throw on the inside. The inside throw is also a sleeping bag due to the placement of the Kam snaps.

I made two of these full double layer quilts, one for my step bro for his eno doublenest, one for me for summer quilt and to add to my 30 degree Cave Creek Quilt to get down hopefully to the 15 degree mark for winter. That would be with two costco quilts and a 30 degree cave creek quilt.

Worked out perfectly for dimension for covering my 30 degree quilt, it is just a hair larger so it encloses it perfectly which was just by luck.

Attachment 136965Attachment 136966IMG_7501.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Hex
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/ EE
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrugs View Post
    Here are my first attempts at DIY with the Costco Throws.

Took 1 throw and cut it in half, folded each half over and made 2 separate 2 layer dog beds for backpacking. I added Kam Snaps to make them into doggy sleeping bags as well. Mine and my brother's dogs are Australian Shepherds and will only need to us as a sleeping bag if it was below zero, and in that case, I won't be out anyways so will be mostly used as a bedding. As you can see, my dog loves it.

I then made two, removable double layer underquilts. Sewed in channels the short way with some ripstop 1.9, folded over the length wise for long channels, added cord and hardware and there you go. I used line locks on each corner running to the s biner with shock cord to keep it in place where you want it and then shock cord in the cinch channels on the short ends and full length shock cord all the way through the long ends for suspension.

I then added Kam Snaps along the ends and sides and added a second full costco throw on the inside. The inside throw is also a sleeping bag due to the placement of the Kam snaps.

I made two of these full double layer quilts, one for my step bro for his eno doublenest, one for me for summer quilt and to add to my 30 degree Cave Creek Quilt to get down hopefully to the 15 degree mark for winter. That would be with two costco quilts and a 30 degree cave creek quilt.

Worked out perfectly for dimension for covering my 30 degree quilt, it is just a hair larger so it encloses it perfectly which was just by luck.

Attachment 136965Attachment 136966IMG_7501.jpg
    Your dog looks so happy!

Hammock
    Cave Creek Netted
    Tarp
    Cave Creek FC
    Insulation
    Cave Creek 30
    Suspension
    Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmaduke View Post
    Your dog looks so happy!
    He is the happiest dog I have ever met. everyone comments about how happy he is all the time. The only time he isn't happy is when we leave in the morning, he is just calm and bummed. Not unhappy, just not giddy like he normally is!

Hammock
    Hennesy Expedition Asym
    Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 40 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast