DIY 10.5'
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY Synthetic
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch

New build comming up

Just placed an order with Kyle for my next build. Planning an 11' gathered end with removeable bugnet in 1.6 hyperD. Gonna use one of his fancy new two way separating zippers. Suspension will be cinch buckles on continuous loops and red zing-it ridgeline. Also going to do a CS 5.0 topquilt to match. Charoal grey and crimson for the hammock. Crimson1.1 ripstop and black nylon taffeta for the quilt. Will post pics when complete.

Looking forward to the write up! I just did 80% of that project list, basically a hammock with that same suspension and a CS 5.0 underquilt using RSBR materials. I'm especially interested in how your bugnet goes, I'm looking to retrofit some to a couple of hammocks.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    These are both retrofits to pretty much the exact same build you're doing.
    I love 1.6 HyperD. So much so I'm having trouble trying anything else.

These aren't separating zips though - the nets stow in a peak bag.

I've done a few CS quilts now too, a 3.6oz and a couple 7.5oz. Use lots of pins, sew with CS facing down.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5'
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY Synthetic
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Agreed on the quilt pinning. I used nearly an entire box on my UQ build. Just out of curiosity, it appears your triangles are different dimensions. Does this have any benefit that I'm not aware of? Do you know the dimensions? I'm curious how this will play into the fixed length of the zipper.

Hammock
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Georgia_boy View Post
    Agreed on the quilt pinning. I used nearly an entire box on my UQ build. Just out of curiosity, it appears your triangles are different dimensions. Does this have any benefit that I'm not aware of? Do you know the dimensions? I'm curious how this will play into the fixed length of the zipper.
    I wanted to block as little view as possible from inside the hammock, so the head triangle isn't all that big - but big enough for the zipper to terminate and to hide the peak bag.
    The foot triangles are slightly bigger to make the cornering easier when zipping/unzipping.
    I also wanted to make the head/foot slightly different aesthetically. Hence the colors as well.
    Totally unnecessary. I use #5 coil zippers and they really don't have any problem turning corners. It would have to be a very tight corner to cause problems.

Rough estimate is around a foot for each triangle. I know that number doesn't describe a triangle very well, but Xtrekker goes over these triangles very well in his vid, and I'm not really a 'by the book' kind of guy.
    While the way I made my triangles was methodical, measured, re-measured, etc., it still began with 'eyeballing' the size of triangle I wanted. They could be smaller. They could definitely be the same size.

Edit - The bigger the triangles, the less zipper needed obviously.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5'
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY Synthetic
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Elementalscape View Post
    I wanted to block as little view as possible from inside the hammock, so the head triangle isn't all that big - but big enough for the zipper to terminate and to hide the peak bag.
    The foot triangles are slightly bigger to make the cornering easier when zipping/unzipping.
    I also wanted to make the head/foot slightly different aesthetically. Hence the colors as well.
    Totally unnecessary. I use #5 coil zippers and they really don't have any problem turning corners. It would have to be a very tight corner to cause problems.

Rough estimate is around a foot for each triangle. I know that number doesn't describe a triangle very well, but Xtrekker goes over these triangles very well in his vid, and I'm not really a 'by the book' kind of guy.
    While the way I made my triangles was methodical, measured, re-measured, etc., it still began with 'eyeballing' the size of triangle I wanted. They could be smaller. They could definitely be the same size.

Edit - The bigger the triangles, the less zipper needed obviously.
    Thanks for your input. I have watched Xtrekker's vids countless times and I always thought his triangles may be a little bit on the small side for the zipper I am using. I'm sure I'll end up doing a lot of eyeballing and test pinning before I attempt actual assembly. Either way I'm itchin' to get started.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5'
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY Synthetic
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Projects are finally under way. Got the hammock body all sewn and tested. You wouldn't think an extra foot in length would make that much difference for someone who is 5' 9", but man, this is leaps and bounds better than my 10 footer. Here are a few pics.uploadfromtaptalk1456188116913.jpguploadfromtaptalk1456188143230.jpguploadfromtaptalk1456188156473.jpguploadfromtaptalk1456188171269.jpguploadfromtaptalk1456188181769.jpg

Hammock
    6x12 1.6oz Hyper D
    Tarp
    DIY Membrane 9x9
    Suspension
    Straps + Evenk
    Images
    Looks good .

And bold choice on the contrasting thread. I'm not sure I"m confident enough in the appearance of my stitching to show it off like that quite yet .

I never really used a 10ft hammock, but I know that my 12ft hammock is WAY more comfortable than my first attempt (8-9ft). Also, when you start on your quilts, in addition to sewing with the CS on the bottom, make sure that you pin it a lot not just on the edges, but also throughout the entire piece. This really helps keep the fabric/CS combo from stretching/bunching/etc.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5'
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    DIY Synthetic
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    uploadfromtaptalk1457803949150.jpg. Finally finished and got it out for a test drive last night. Low of 55 and one of the best night's sleep I've had in a long time. Hammock is 1.6 HyperD with cinch buckles and straps. It is 11' long and uses one of RBTR's 240 inch separating zipper to attach the bugnet. I had to shorten the zipper to get it to work the way I wanted, but that was no big deal. I did the net a little different than most folks in that I ran it around the ends of the triangles instead of running the zipper under one end. In hindsight this is not optimal as the zipper does not want to easily make the turn where the triangle meets the hammock body while laying in it. When zipping from the outside it works just fine.uploadfromtaptalk1457804088409.jpg. Here are a few close upsuploadfromtaptalk1457804147870.jpguploadfromtaptalk1457804199134.jpguploadfromtaptalk1457804213193.jpguploadfromtaptalk1457804228939.jpguploadfromtaptalk1457804242513.jpg. Also made a top quilt. 5 oz. Apex, 1.1 ripstop outer and 1 oz. taffeta inner.uploadfromtaptalk1457804384072.jpguploadfromtaptalk1457804416641.jpguploadfromtaptalk1457804429945.jpguploadfromtaptalk1457804441267.jpguploadfromtaptalk1457804454715.jpg. The quilt is 48 inches wide and 76 long with a zippered and cinched foot box. I ran the zipper upside down so that the pull wouldn't be under my legs.

This was a fun project and a great birthday/Christmas present to myself. Too bad I'm running out of cool weather. I was very comfy last night.

Many thanks to RBTR for supplying great materials. Keep up the good work!

I haven't weighed any of it, but weight is not a huge concern as I mostly car camp and do short hikes. If you have any questions I'll be happy to answer.

Hammock
    WBBBXLC or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY CSUQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Great work! I am in the process of this same build.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast