Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fujibilly View Post
    Thanks, Caminante! Have you had a chance to hang this UQ under a hammock? Would love to see how it fits when suspended...Great work!

And thanks for the advice on my project!
    No problem.

My daughter has been using this quilt with both an ENO DN and a 10.5' HyperD 1.6 hammock I made, and says she is warm. I believe the lowest temperature yet has been ~45F. I looked back through my pictures and I don't have any of this quilt, but I'll try to snap one next time we're out.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    My own design
    Tarp
    Made myself
    Insulation
    The one I made
    Suspension
    Yup, made ‘em
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    It's stitched around the perimeter like most CS quilts that I've seen. Quilting loops aren't required w/CS to my knowledge, and so far the quilt seems to be performing.
    Okay thanks. I guess I missed that detail.

Beautiful quilt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I sew things on youtube.
    I don’t sew on commission, so please don’t ask. Thanks.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by gfstanley View Post
    That is a great looking UQ! With your N.C. flag TQ and this UQ, is there any sewing project that you do that doesn't turn out great! What an incredible talent you have!
    Yes, this.

Thanks for the clear outline of the boxed corner technique. I am going to try boxing half the loft height on each of the two congruently cut shells in an attempt to make a fully reversible top quilt on my next Climashield build.
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Sweet, that would be quilt boxed corners state-of-the-art. I'm looking to start a boxed corners gang. I'm trying to carve out time to make a CS 3.6 TQ which will have boxed corners at least at the top corners.

BTW, when you make a pack, and you all will, the same concept applies to the bottom when making a "bathtub" bottom with minimal seams.

Hammock
    Ol' ugly
    Tarp
    Hanger12/ DIYasym
    Insulation
    Bandit/Pheonix
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Very nice! I been thinking of doing a down quilt but I may have to try this first just to get better at my sewing.

Thanks for the advise on the bathtub bottom for a pack, your right I will eventually.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Troll View Post
    Very nice! I been thinking of doing a down quilt but I may have to try this first just to get better at my sewing.
    That's what I did, Trail Troll. I just made a CS 7.5 underquilt with a differential cut outer shell on both axes as a practice run for my first-ever down quilt.

Hammock
    DIY 1.0 HyperD
    Tarp
    DIY Hexon .9
    Insulation
    DIY quilt/JacksUQ
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    You said the outer shell was larger than the inner shell, in both length and width? I'm starting my first CS topquilt build tomorrow after 2 down quilts and want to try this technique, when the outer shell is boxed, how well does it align to the corner on the inner shell?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Justapner View Post
    You said the outer shell was larger than the inner shell, in both length and width? I'm starting my first CS topquilt build tomorrow after 2 down quilts and want to try this technique, when the outer shell is boxed, how well does it align to the corner on the inner shell?
    If done correctly, it should align just about perfectly; your boxing reduces the outer shell edge length to that of inner shell edge.

So far, I have now attempted this boxed corner technique just once, but it seems to have worked out well.

To aid in fit at the corner, I didn't sew my boxed corners all the way to the raw edges of the shell; instead, I stopped short at approximately the width of my seam allowance (usually 1" on my CS quilts) to allow the outer shell's raw edge to fan out and to lay flat and in line at with the inner shell at the corners.
    Last edited by kitsapcowboy; 01-21-2017 at 09:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Justapner View Post
    Everything kitsap says is exactly correct. The edges should line up almost perfectly, within a reasonable tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by kitsapcowboy View Post
    To aid in fit at the corner, I didn't sew my boxed corners all the way to the raw edges of the shell; instead, I stopped short at approximately the width of my seam allowance (usually 1" on my CS quilts) to allow the outer shell's raw edge to fan out and lay flat and in line at with the inner shell at the corners.
    That's a great point that I didn't address. I've been going just a stitch or two into the seam allowance and then stopping. When I get to the corners, instead of making a 90 degree turn and doing the next side, I catch the corner with a couple of diagonal stitches over the boxed corner stitching, then turn and go down the next side.

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Caminante View Post
    That's a great point that I didn't address. I've been going just a stitch or two into the seam allowance and then stopping. When I get to the corners, instead of making a 90 degree turn and doing the next side, I catch the corner with a couple of diagonal stitches over the boxed corner stitching, then turn and go down the next side.
    Ah, yes. Brilliant. That makes perfect sense, just the sort of "pro tip" born from practice beyond theory. Thanks for help with the details of implementation of your technique, Caminante.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast