DIY UQ using Coleman stadium blanket

We finally hung my sons' hammocks in their room last night. We've been wanting to experiment with building a diy UQ so this morning after sending the boys to school, I got a wild hair and made a quick stab at it. Took me about 15minutes and I'm eager to see how it does. We'll try it inside for now since its 20degF outside right now.

The stadium blanket is fleece lined and supposedly waterproof on the other. My idea is to install snaps along the perimeter to all a modular design. I'd like to try the double black diamond down throws as the first insulation.

I used shock cord in the existing seam to cinch the head and foot. Will install some grommets on the sides to pull the guy lines through. We have Hennessey Hammocks, Scout model for the boys and expedition for me.

The whole system, hammock, UQ and down throw will very likely be pretty bulky but I think it will be a good start.

Hammock
    HH Asym / WallyWorld GE
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    DIY cocoon / ZFold
    I like it. Not bad for really mild temps, but that's not going to cut it at 20f.

For sure not a 20F setup. I'm warm-natured, but not a polar bear. We are going to try using a down insulating layer. Maybe an rectangular sleeping bag or the Costco down throw.

• + New Posts