Tarp
    OES G4
    Insulation
    EE, HG PHOENIX
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    I sold my Cuben Fiber tarp. The bulk is the bane with Cuben Fiber. Space in my backpack is precious. The CF tarp I had while lighter, took twice the space in my pack and provided less coverage than my Superfly.
    I didn't even factor bulk in the equation.

Hammock
    DW HALF-WIT
    Tarp
    OES G4
    Insulation
    EE, HG PHOENIX
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    If you can't justify cuben fiber, don't try. I've been using cuben fiber about three years and certainly don't baby it. Cuben fiber's durability is well established, and it's the easiest tarp to repair as well (using cf tape). Cuben fiber is over 50% lighter than a comparable tarp in silnylon, but if that doesn't impress you, get silnylon or silpoly!
    More or less trying to get my hands around the process . Due to the fact I don't know anyone I could see and use the product.

Hammock
    Dutch Hammock
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuban w/doors
    Insulation
    Burrow, Incubator
    Suspension
    Buckles,straps
    I say if you can afford to buy a CF Tarp, pick one up and try it for a while. If you don't like it for what ever reason, I'm sure you could sell it here for the same if not slightly less than you paid for it and still buy two other tarps of another material.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Every time
    The weight of Cuben is very appealing but three things keep me from replacing the Superfly. Maybe your logic might be similar....

1) My lifestyle allows just a few trips a year - 3 or 4 nights each if I'm lucky.
    2) My only gripe with the Superfly is that the Cuben Winter Palace exists.
    3) I can achieve better weight savings on my body if I really need the performance.

If I was prepping for a long thru-hike and I had everything else dialed - perhaps I'd consider the $$$ outlay. That's me - everyone's situation is different.

Hammock
    DW HALF-WIT
    Tarp
    OES G4
    Insulation
    EE, HG PHOENIX
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    The concern over bulkiness has me confused as well. It is definitely larger dimensions packed. However this is my Ohm 2.0 packed up for 5 days. My stove is in one side pocket and the winter palace in the other (its also a 12 footer). I have a bottle holder on my hipbelt as I hate reaching back. My raingear, water filter, stakes, and windshirt are tucked into the front expansion pocket. I'm somewhat a weight weary hiker but my base weight still runs between 11 and 12 (without food/water/extra clothes). Not trying to be difficult, we all have different views on what bulky is, this is just my perception. I've never had an issue with it. I do admit the superfly packing down to almost nothing was really really nice but oh the sweet sweet cloud like nothingness of holding a cuben fiber tarp in your hand.
    Attachment 123129Attachment 123130
    I also have an ohm 2.0. Love the pack. But for my summer trips I am down sizing pack . So that's the reason I am trying to get all angles covered.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Helium33 View Post
    I also have an ohm 2.0. Love the pack. But for my summer trips I am down sizing pack . So that's the reason I am trying to get all angles covered.
    I downsize to a CDT in the summer same configuration of packing.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    I suppose i will be the adverse post here. Using a bridge hammock my spreader bars getting into the cuben tarp once scraped tiny holes in it creating a 4 inch gash that cuben tape fixed. I melted the ridge line tieouts on one that i was using hanging in 90 plus pure sunnyday with no shade in my yard off 6 x 6 posts and had to have it repared and rebuilt by tarp maker. My second cuben tarp a year later melted again at the ridge line tieouts on both ends of the ridgeline in 90 plus degrees again this time beyond repair and was replaced by the tarp maker with another cuben tarp at a sum i wont divulge as that i was happy with. Now that i dont pack as much i dont use cuben, but if i was packing i would have to have cuben and still the itch is there to get another one even tho i really dont need it cause once you use cuben, i think if your a devout backpacker cuben is so darned nice and addictive. Did i mention i dont baby any gear and abuse and use it? And dont bet against me cause i bet i pick up another cuben tarp in the next 3-4 months if that long a wait. The addiction has to be fed.

One thing i did learn about cuben used in direct sunlight. If your hanging in pure sun and its 90 outside my temp gague under the tarp in full porch mode on both sides open the temp was still over 106 under the tarp and cuben will separate and melt. Stay hanging in the shade in the summer when using cuben. In my opinion, cuben acts just like your window glass and magnifys the sunlight/heat and traps it.
    Last edited by Acer; 01-19-2016 at 21:42.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    DW HALF-WIT
    Tarp
    OES G4
    Insulation
    EE, HG PHOENIX
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer View Post
    I suppose i will be the adverse post here. Using a bridge hammock my spreader bars getting into the cuben tarp once scraped tiny holes in it creating a 4 inch gash that cuben tape fixed. I melted the ridge line tieouts on one that i was using hanging in 90 plus pure sunnyday with no shade in my yard off 6 x 6 posts and had to have it repared and rebuilt by tarp maker. My second cuben tarp a year later melted again at the ridge line tieouts on both ends of the ridgeline in 90 plus degrees again this time beyond repair and was replaced by the tarp maker with another cuben tarp at a sum i wont divulge as that i was happy with. Now that i dont pack as much i dont use cuben, but if i was packing i would have to have cuben and still the itch is there to get another one even tho i really dont need it cause once you use cuben, i think if your a devout backpacker cuben is so darned nice and addictive. Did i mention i dont baby any gear and abuse and use it? And dont bet against me cause i bet i pick up another cuben tarp in the next 3-4 months if that long a wait. The addiction has to be fed.

One thing i did learn about cuben used in direct sunlight. If your hanging in pure sun and its 90 outside my temp gague under the tarp in full porch mode on both sides open the temp was still over 106 under the tarp and cuben will separate and melt. Stay hanging in the shade in the summer when using cuben. In my opinion, cuben acts just like your window glass and magnifys the sunlight/heat and traps it.
    Thanks for the input.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    There is nothing like laying under a cuben tarp. It repells water,ice,and snow, better than anything else. Definitly way lighter than anything else. And wind proof also. Paul of AHE made some rubber protectors slid on your dogbones of WBRR bridge hammocks (not sure if he still does) that covered ends of spreader bars protecting abrasions or rubbing of bars against sides of cuben tarps. You could cut a old bicycle tube up and make them as well if,he doesnt have them. Sure its hi teck and costs more, but i spent 210.00 on a 13' omw wilderness logic tarp for the wife and it weighs 32 ozs with all the suspenion and tieouts on it for car camping as I,definitely wouldnt want to pack it. And our cottage makers stand behind their products but. When you make the same mistakes twice, stupid is, stupid does. lol
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    1.8oz Camo RS 11' DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20 Incubator
    Suspension
    DutchBling w/Strap
    I debated long and hard before buying my CF tarp. I take it everywhere and I love it. I also purchased the super fly. I like it too, but not like my CF. the weight, non-stretch and durability is hard to beat. I remember reading or watching a YouTube video about a guy tripping over his guyline that had shock chord. It pulled the stake and shot it through the side of the CF tarp. I don't know why he was using shock chord because it's not needed on CF. so as long as you stay clear of shock chord and sharp pokey sticks, you will not regret the CF tarp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast