Tarp
    OES G4
    Insulation
    EE, HG PHOENIX
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

To Cuben or not to Cuben?

That is the question . Right now I have the new OES gen2 tarp . Love the tarp and coverage. Weighed in at about 12oz. Anyone with experience of the Cuben cat cut tarp would be of assistance. Value for the weight difference to me seems pricy . Cuben tarps average around 6 oz. So the silpoly tarp I have is 50% heavier than Cuben . Is it really worth the extra $ for a Cuben tarp. I feel like I would always have to baby it .i need pros and cons. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, DUTCHWARE, ETC...
    Tarp
    HG WP/Standard
    Insulation
    HG INCUBATOR/PHOEN
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Cinch
    I don't have enough experience with cuben to speak as to its durability, but to me, the cost vs. weight savings benefit is very subjective. You can get thousands of opinions on this issue, however, it's all going to come down to your own personal opinion.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    Being a backpacker the weight savings, to me, was absolutely worth the high price. It was one of the last places I could shave serious ounces. I was hesitant about the durability issue at first, but after watching Shug throw his around in the northwoods for several years without any disasters I became more relaxed about it and pulled the trigger. Plus the non stretch is a huge bonus for me personally.

I hade one and sold it, to switch to sil

Hammock
    HH Explorer zip / LSoH WE
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HHSS/JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Mule tape/Webbing
    I was out this weekend with two other guys, we had rain, hail and sleet. I had a HH Hex, one guy had a superfly and the other CF. The hex and superfly both had ice that we tried to scrape off and couldn't completely and I barely got the hex back into its stuff sack, the CF was fine no ice no nothing, not sure if it was a fluke but I'm impressed

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    If you can't justify cuben fiber, don't try. I've been using cuben fiber about three years and certainly don't baby it. Cuben fiber's durability is well established, and it's the easiest tarp to repair as well (using cf tape). Cuben fiber is over 50% lighter than a comparable tarp in silnylon, but if that doesn't impress you, get silnylon or silpoly!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    In my experience the only "con" to cuben is price. While cuben may be slightly easier to puncture, it is less prone to tears and is far easier to repair. It also doesn't absorb water and doesn't stretch at all.

The major "pro" is obviously weight savings. A 6' tall person is going to take about 2600-2700 steps per mile. Using your 6oz difference between cuben and sil that would be 15,600-16,200 oz. a 6' person didn't have to lift in a single mile.

Personally, I'll be using cuben tarps until they either come up with something lighter & stronger or I'm doing all my trips in the everafter.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I sold my Cuben Fiber tarp. The bulk is the bane with Cuben Fiber. Space in my backpack is precious. The CF tarp I had while lighter, took twice the space in my pack and provided less coverage than my Superfly.
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    I sold my Cuben Fiber tarp. The bulk is the bane with Cuben Fiber. Space in my backpack is precious. The CF tarp I had while lighter, took twice the space in my pack and provided less coverage than my Superfly.
    My Winter Palace provides about the same coverage as the Superfly (actually more - 10'4" wide versus Superfly at 10' wide). I could care less about the bulk - it still fits in an outside pocket so nothing has changed there.

And it's 8.6 ounces versus 19 ounces for the Superfly!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    The concern over bulkiness has me confused as well. It is definitely larger dimensions packed. However this is my Ohm 2.0 packed up for 5 days. My stove is in one side pocket and the winter palace in the other (its also a 12 footer). I have a bottle holder on my hipbelt as I hate reaching back. My raingear, water filter, stakes, and windshirt are tucked into the front expansion pocket. I'm somewhat a weight weary hiker but my base weight still runs between 11 and 12 (without food/water/extra clothes). Not trying to be difficult, we all have different views on what bulky is, this is just my perception. I've never had an issue with it. I do admit the superfly packing down to almost nothing was really really nice but oh the sweet sweet cloud like nothingness of holding a cuben fiber tarp in your hand.
    ohmLoad2.jpgohmLoad1.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast