Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Smokies trip suggestions?

My wife and I are wanting to plan a 2/3 day backpacking trip to the GSMNP, and would like suggestions from some who have been there.

We don't want to cover alot of ground, I'd say 4-6 miles/day, terrain depending, would be plenty. We both use hammocks.

Any suggestions on areas, trails or places to go that might make a good trip for us?

Thanks in advance

Ben W

Hammock
    Dream-Hammock
    Tarp
    Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear Quilt
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Hi Binfordw A couple of weeks ago I did some hiking and hammock camping in the GSMNP. I was in the Cosby section which is about 10 miles east of Gatlinburg. I found it to be less crowded. There were plenty of stream crossings and waterfalls. The entire park is great and I'm sure you will have a great time. I will pass on this bit of information. If you plan on staying overnight in the park a back country permit is required. It is $4.00 per/person/night. You have to reserve your site and can only change the location of the permit one time. You can purchase your permits on line and book your campsite. They are first come, first served. Hammocks are only allowed in the camp ground areas, not at any shelters. I really don't like all of the restrictions but it is what it is. On their website you can pick your route or you can talk to a planner. They are very friendly and will help you plan the perfect hike. You tell them how many days, how many miles, the terrain you prefer and what you want to see. They will work with you.

Thanks hiker63, I've been checking out the website. The planners you mention- by phone right?

I'm a bit confused as to how to plan a trip, especially due to the camping restrictions. I figured getting all the help I can should make things go smoother.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Stay off the AT. There are a lot of other trails and places to go that don't require all the permits and such of staying along the main trail.

Hammock
    DIY/switchback
    Tarp
    WLoldmanWinter
    Insulation
    WLuq&tq
    Suspension
    3days
    I camped at Big Creek campground near Cosby.Trails are near by.Don't miss Carver's Applehouse Restaurant & Orchard. Address: 3460 Cosby Hwy. Cosby, TN

Hammock
    Dutch Hexon 11ft.
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    My own concoction
    Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    Stay off the AT. There are a lot of other trails and places to go that don't require all the permits and such of staying along the main trail.
    It's my understanding that all backcountry camping in GSMNP requires a permit.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Correct...however, if you're not a thru-hiker then you're "required" to stay in the AT shelters. I made the mistake of traveling with a bunch of ground dwellers. So they were tied to the shelters along the AT. And of course, depending on the time of the year and location the AT is a super-highway of hiker traffic.

From the GSMNP website:
    1. Camping is permitted only at designated backcountry campsites and shelters.

7. Backcountry permit holders may not use tents at shelters.

8. Hammocks may only be used within designated backcountry campsites. They may not be used inside shelters and may not be attached to shelters in any way.

For me...the AT hike through the park was a pain in the butt to follow the rules. Going solo or with just other hangers would be a lot better.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly w/door
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 TQ/DIY UQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar/Turtle
    Be sure to consider the elevation changes when planning as well. Did a trip up to Gregory Bald last spring and hiked 7 miles on the first day with every step being uphill on the Wolf Ridge Trail.
    A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by wolf8895 View Post
    Be sure to consider the elevation changes when planning as well. Did a trip up to Gregory Bald last spring and hiked 7 miles on the first day with every step being uphill on the Wolf Ridge Trail.
    I ordered a copy of "Top Trails" must do hikes in the Smokies (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/089..._detailpages00)

Hopefully it will help with picking trails that are within the difficulty we are looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    Backcountry permits are required at all shelters and campsites thru out the park.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast