Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Weather.com says we can expect winds of 50 to 60 mph on Saturday. I don't think I'll be hanging in the back yard Saturday night!
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aka.cyberman View Post
    There's a guy doing a SOBO Thru-Hike and I can't remember where I read about it. He had snow shoes and the whole 9 yards. I think he was a tent camper. Anyone read about him? Mt.Rogers hang will get pounded. Be safe at Grayson.
    The Hiking Viking, former Marine, well, one a Marine, always a Marine.
    He has a blog:
    http://therealhikingviking.com/blog/

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I'm more concerned about the coastal flooding. They're saying it could be the worst coastal flooding in history on the Jersey Shore (worse than Hurricane Sandy), or at the very least in the top 5 or 10. If it's a true Nor'easter, then you can't get any worse than a Nor'easter during the full moon.
    It won't be the worst coastal flooding in NJ history. The models have been all over the place and only started to tighten up this afternoon. I'm working on my micro casting right now. Even so, there are many "if's" and we still don't know enough as you well understand.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer View Post
    My friend who is a scientist @ The Institute for Marine and Coastal Sciences who really knows about this type of thing is saying it has the potential to be a top 5 event. He doesnt expect it to rival Sandy, but at worst, would come within 12" of the worst we saw from Sandy. He also said based on the lastest models the storm looks to be taking a track that will result in more snow, but less flooding issues due to timing of the storm vs. the tides. I'll be hoping for the best, I know a lot of people with houses on the water, including my parents.

Jon
    Yep, that was true last night and even early this morning, since then the models have shifted and more rain/freezing rain is projected with the exception of the 'finger' or 'bullet' across south central, starting in the southwest which will get slammed with heavy precip changing from rain/freezing/snow/freezing/rain/mixed. The shear off the coast created by the high pressure rubbing up against the North Atlantic Oscillation is pretty clear but how much the heaviest part of the 'storm' stays together over landfall is in question.

Unfortunately, science isn't much up to the task in predicting these things. We're 48 hours away from this storm hitting and they still don't have much of an idea of what is going to happen. Hurricane Sandy and the Nor'easter of 1992 made me painfully aware of how hard these storms are for meteorologists to predict. I remember checking the weather on the morning the Nor'easter of 1992 hit. Nobody was predicting anything like what happened. My wife started calling me at work about 10:30 am and said I had to get home - it was the worst storm she had ever seen. I checked the news, and they didn't have a clue what was going on.

The Garden State Parkway was closed from flooding (I don't ever recall that happening), but we got through just as the tide went down. I had to take a National Guard truck into town to rescue my wife and kid, then they took us out in a garbage truck (the only trucks with clearance enough from the floodwaters).

Hurricane Sandy was equally iffy, up until about 48 to 72 hours before it hit - twenty years later and we weren't any better at predicting the path of such storms. It simply defied logic that the hurricane would make a sharp left turn towards the coast, when almost all Atlantic hurricanes drift out to sea. The European model predicted the hurricane's path nearly eight days in advance, while the National Weather Service was not able to reach the same conclusion until October 27 (two days before landfall).

So here we are, two days before Jonas' landfall in Jersey, and we really don't know if it will be a top 5 event, or if it will be minor snowfall in New Jersey and minor coastal flooding. Personally, I can't take a chance so I have to go with worst case scenario and start taking things to higher ground!
    Yep, pretty much the deal although 92 had some issues with the new super computers & models that were unique and subsequently resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by vtrek View Post
    Two days ago they said NH was going to get slammed, now they are saying that it will miss us completely. I'm torn, I like to hang in a good snow but I don't like living in it. Either way, I'll be hanging anyway.
    Hang on!

I'm being shut down, can't get away because too many local folks are nervous. Spent some time prepping a neighbor's gear today and have to service a generator and another snowblower tomorrow to make sure some single moms and seniors are in good shape. Spending the morning getting cases of water and few odds and ends as we need to anticipate power outages that could last a couple days. The wet stuff is gonna freeze over night and then be slammed by high winds and wet snow and more freezing rain, then rain, all of which will freeze again. Gonna be messy down here.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    SilvrSurfr be safe, good luck, and same goes for all the rest of you as will be thinking of yas.
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Quote Originally Posted by aka.cyberman View Post
    There's a guy doing a SOBO Thru-Hike and I can't remember where I read about it. He had snow shoes and the whole 9 yards. I think he was a tent camper. Anyone read about him? Mt.Rogers hang will get pounded. Be safe at Grayson.
    The Hiking Viking!! His pictures are gorgeous! You can follow him on the book of Face or Instagram. He's not a hanger, though, I don't think.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I really don't get the bottled water thing. Yeah, I bought a couple of cases, but wondered why I was doing it. Is it because flooding might contaminate the water supply? I'm not sure. Heck, I guess the pipes could freeze.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    I really don't get the bottled water thing. Yeah, I bought a couple of cases, but wondered why I was doing it. Is it because flooding might contaminate the water supply? I'm not sure. Heck, I guess the pipes could freeze.
    No power, no well pump. My choices are fill the bathtub, which we do to flush toilets, filter crik water, which I've done but prefer not to, or have a couple cases on hand. My normal stockpile is 4 cases plus a couple gallons just because the govmint tells me to, along with having some duct tape. Poor Tom Ridge.

If we do flood like Irene, the well heads are contaminated and upstream on the Rancocas, lots of septics are compromised.

So yeah, water, dry firewood, food, bottles of heet and a few propane canisters. We were without power for several weeks during Irene. I was fine w/ stockpiled supplies, many neighbors left to stay with family.

I'm mostly worried about the ice, high winds and flooding because the ground is frozen. The roads will likely be closed and I have to make sure my sisters and kids are good along with neighbors who are too old, frail, or just plain shouldn't be shoveling snow or running a snow blower.

On the upside, after the storm passes, I'll have the nieces and nephews out tracking some game, building some sled runs and snow forts...if the snow lasts.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    HH Safari Deluxe
    Tarp
    Etowah, UST Hex
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I figured if I needed I have a couple Sawyer filers Id just drink what was in the toilet, then start melting snow....J/k

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I guess I'm most angry at the notion that this could be a Top 5 flooding event in the history of NJ. I hate having to drive my care 3 miles to high ground, but ya gotta do what you gotta do.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    After what you've been through, any and all emotions make sense, especially anger. But have no fear, if it were serious, our Gov would leave NH and be here...he said so. So no worries.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    Variable
    Tarp
    Surperfly
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Variable
    So, I must concede. I won't be hanging through the blizzard.

*pout*
    Like thrash metal? Check out my nephew's band, Deathwatch. He's an amazing drummer... https://soundcloud.com/user-660860695

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast