Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images

LoopAliens to Kevlar Tree straps?

I've been playing with LoopAliens for suspension. I have a set of chinese knockoff stainless LA's larks headed to the CL on my WBBB. Using Dutch Kevlar Tree Straps, and the plan was to either use MSH to a fixed brummel in the end of a length of Amsteel and taking the Amsteel through the LA's, or just tie off the webbing to the fixed eye and skipping the toggle. Both of these have worked fine. But trees are usually plentiful in the NE and I have long tree straps, so I am wondering if it might work to just take the end of the tree strap through the LA and eliminate the Amsteel.

Does anyone have experience with using Kevlar Tree Straps through a LoopAlien?

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    AmSteel is lighter than Kevlar. Kevlar is light and compact enough that for some hammockers a Kevlar suspension is a good possibility. If Loop Alien can securely grip Kevlar, you will have a good range of adjustment for close hangs and long hangs.
    Do you attach Kevlar straps to Loop Aliens the same way AmSteel is attached?

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I do not know if Kevlar strap will attach to Loop Alien.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I'll give it a go tomorrow.

I have yet to attach the straps directly to the LA's.

Just seems redundant to gave so much extra length of bit Amsteel and Kevlar hanging off my suspension.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    20 TQ/HG 20 UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    I would love to see more LA and KOLA set-ups and ideas. I ordered some to try on my tarp....

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Tried the LoopAlien (knockoffs) today and they worked great. I have eight foot Kevlar tree straps, and for smaller trees spaced at seven to eight paces, the straps alone worked perfectly with the LA's larks headed to the CL on the WBBB. The straps were a breeze to attach and adjustments at the LA were no problem, even with gloves on (23 degrees today). I had enough strap loose to be able to do two turns around the LA to lock it in, though it held tight even without the extra turns.

With larger trees, or longer tree distances, a few feet of amsteel attached to the strap by MSH or knotted direct, and then to the LA, will work great. Had I thought of this sooner, I would have bought longer straps, and omitted the Amsteel lengths.

The LA adjusts a bit easier then whoopies, and two lengths of Amsteel with nothing more than a fixed eye in one end, have a bit less bulk then a similar length of whoopie with hardware to connect to the CL. Weight savings is negligible.

I have about a dozen extra knockoff aluminum LA's I am not going to use...don't ask how I ended up with so many. Originally wanted only two aluminum to try on my tarp ridge line and two steel or TI to use on the hammock suspension, but somehow I ended up with way more than I will ever use.

Once I have access to the For Sale forum, I will list the extras.. I'd rather just PiF them to a few of you who want to try them...my way to start giving back to the forums. Stay tuned.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    20 TQ/HG 20 UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Tried the LoopAlien (knockoffs) today and they worked great. I have eight foot Kevlar tree straps, and for smaller trees spaced at seven to eight paces, the straps alone worked perfectly with the LA's larks headed to the CL on the WBBB. The straps were a breeze to attach and adjustments at the LA were no problem, even with gloves on (23 degrees today). I had enough strap loose to be able to do two turns around the LA to lock it in, though it held tight even without the extra turns.

With larger trees, or longer tree distances, a few feet of amsteel attached to the strap by MSH or knotted direct, and then to the LA, will work great. Had I thought of this sooner, I would have bought longer straps, and omitted the Amsteel lengths.

The LA adjusts a bit easier then whoopies, and two lengths of Amsteel with nothing more than a fixed eye in one end, have a bit less bulk then a similar length of whoopie with hardware to connect to the CL. Weight savings is negligible.

I have about a dozen extra knockoff aluminum LA's I am not going to use...don't ask how I ended up with so many. Originally wanted only two aluminum to try on my tarp ridge line and two steel or TI to use on the hammock suspension, but somehow I ended up with way more than I will ever use.

Once I have access to the For Sale forum, I will list the extras.. I'd rather just PiF them to a few of you who want to try them...my way to start giving back to the forums. Stay tuned.
    Great to hear. Any chance you could post some pics and/or vids of your setup?

I also went full bore on ordering some LA's and KOLA's. I'll pass along some as well as soon as I can post in the Sale section.

By the way, I think you already qualify. I believe it is a 50 post minimum.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingpin View Post
    Great to hear. Any chance you could post some pics and/or vids of your setup?

I also went full bore on ordering some LA's and KOLA's. I'll pass along some as well as soon as I can post in the Sale section.

By the way, I think you already qualify. I believe it is a 50 post minimum.

Indeed, I do qualify now.

I'll post a few pictures later today.

I have a pair of KOLA that I have larksheaded to a CL on my hammock and I use amsteel connected to tree straps to hang it up. So far it hasn't failed me and easy to set up/take down. Another plus it super light.

Hammock
    Woodsman X
    Tarp
    Custom silnylon
    Insulation
    Down UQ, d.i.y TQ
    Suspension
    LoopAlien
    Any chance you chaps could post some pics of your loopalien wrangling please.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast