SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Wish me luck....

Ok guys...supposed to hit -21 tonite.
    Im heading out.
    JRB MW4 and HG Burrow will be put to the test.
    Might grab a small pad too....just in case.

Ill be out back on my property...about 10 minute walk back to the house if gets too cold. Hopefully wont have to.
    Wish me luck.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Good luck and be sure to report back. Let us know what your setup was and what cloths you wore to keep warm.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    good luck, man.

send reports when can..

sv-

Hammock
    HH Safari Deluxe
    Tarp
    Etowah, UST Hex
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Sleep warm, look forward to the morning report.

Hammock
    WBRR, DHTB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Mamba
    Insulation
    Down Quilts!
    Suspension
    Straps/buckles
    Images
    Good luck. Bring a hot water Nalgene.
    NJ Hammock Club Facebook Page - Come join the party!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock- 10' Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG 20*Burrow/Incub
    Suspension
    Straps/Carabiners
    Images
    -21 degrees, hope that is a 0 degree uq and or atleast a 10 degree tq, a good winter tarp, and clothes to match or none of that including pad is gonna help.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Whoooooooo Buddy))))))
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Chameleon and a Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 12'
    Insulation
    downy goodness
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Good luck and have fun!! I'll be looking for a report in the AM.
    “I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news”
    ― John Muir

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S Argon SL 1.6
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Ok guys...made it.
    Was going to give u a report by the morning fire and a hot cup of coffe, but the wind is brutal, so just decided to come back in the house...lol.

Anyways, it went great. Much better than I expected. Had to get up once to adjust one of the lines on the tarp, but I also took a nature call at same time...so was needed anyways.

Face got a lil cold at times, but thats to be expected as I dont like anything covering my nose, mouth, or chin. Forgot my piece of fleece to hang over the RL above my face, so there was lots of frozen condensation when I woke up even tho I kept the overcover vented about 3-4 inches. No biggie....I expected that.

So I consider this gear test to be a success!! Now I can feel confident heading out to some backcountry to at least 0*.

Heres the setup and clothes.
    Jrb MW4 UQ...0*
    HG Burrow TQ...20*
    SLD Winter haven pitched as low as I could. My TD stands limit how low to the ground I can get it...so I actually still had some wind coming up thru the bottom. When pitched using trees, ill try to eliminate any gaps and have the walls go to the ground...which will be even better.

I didnt go nuts with clothes. Just fleece lined pants, wool socks, T shirt, and a cheapy JC penney down jacket. I passed on the nalgene bottle. Ive done that before and didnt feel like it did anything for me.

One thing that I had this time that I didnt have before tho was the Jrb down sleeves and hood. I dont want to sound like a salesman for Jrb, but they are incredible. So warm and versatile. I wrapped the sleeves around my feet, essentially making down booties. My feet were ALWAYS cold before...and with those, they were nice and toasty all nite. The hood was velcroed onto the collar of that cheapy JCP jacket and it also works wonderfully....almost too well...haha.
    I highly recommend putting those 2 items on your short list if u want to get into some really cold weather.

I guess thats it....

Anything else u want to know, just ask.
    But im happy as heck with the results of this test.
    I know we spend so much time picking and choosing the correct gear for whatever it is we want to do. Its awesome when we find out the gear matches...and even exceeds our expectations.

Dang...should have made my coffee out there...haha.

Hammock
    HH Safari Deluxe
    Tarp
    Etowah, UST Hex
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kllrbee View Post
    Ok guys...made it.
    Was going to give u a report by the morning fire and a hot cup of coffe, but the wind is brutal, so just decided to come back in the house...lol.

Anyways, it went great. Much better than I expected. Had to get up once to adjust one of the lines on the tarp, but I also took a nature call at same time...so was needed anyways.

Face got a lil cold at times, but thats to be expected as I dont like anything covering my nose, mouth, or chin. Forgot my piece of fleece to hang over the RL above my face, so there was lots of frozen condensation when I woke up even tho I kept the overcover vented about 3-4 inches. No biggie....I expected that.

So I consider this gear test to be a success!! Now I can feel confident heading out to some backcountry to at least 0*.

Heres the setup and clothes.
    Jrb MW4 UQ...0*
    HG Burrow TQ...20*
    SLD Winter haven pitched as low as I could. My TD stands limit how low to the ground I can get it...so I actually still had some wind coming up thru the bottom. When pitched using trees, ill try to eliminate any gaps and have the walls go to the ground...which will be even better.

I didnt go nuts with clothes. Just fleece lined pants, wool socks, T shirt, and a cheapy JC penney down jacket. I passed on the nalgene bottle. Ive done that before and didnt feel like it did anything for me.

One thing that I had this time that I didnt have before tho was the Jrb down sleeves and hood. I dont want to sound like a salesman for Jrb, but they are incredible. So warm and versatile. I wrapped the sleeves around my feet, essentially making down booties. My feet were ALWAYS cold before...and with those, they were nice and toasty all nite. The hood was velcroed onto the collar of that cheapy JCP jacket and it also works wonderfully....almost too well...haha.
    I highly recommend putting those 2 items on your short list if u want to get into some really cold weather.

I guess thats it....

Anything else u want to know, just ask.
    But im happy as heck with the results of this test.
    I know we spend so much time picking and choosing the correct gear for whatever it is we want to do. Its awesome when we find out the gear matches...and even exceeds our expectations.

Dang...should have made my coffee out there...haha.
    Sounds like a good test/time to me at least ya know your good for some chilly nights in the woods

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast