Dream Darien
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear CF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear U/T Q
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ Bling

When Is Hammock Camping Not Allowed?

I'm planning a trip this weekend to to the Pine Mountain Trail which is part of the F.D. Roosevelt State Park in West Georgia.

I woke this morning with a old thought. What if Hammock Camping is not allow? I re-read through all the trail regulations and the state park regulations but I did not find any information that said I could not hammock camp at the tent sites.

How can I be certain? Would the information provided by the state park and trail organization clearly state "NO HAMMOCK CAMPING"? Should I just Call?

Any advice?

Hammock
    Hexon 1.0/WBRR
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Incubator/Lynx
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Whoopie
    If in doubt, just call. Better to know 100% before you get out there.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Winter Dream 13'
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 quilts
    Suspension
    Tree strap/Buckles
    I agree best call and find out. I doubt it would be illegal but they may restrict it to certain areas.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Call, I know a few CG's that don't allow hammocks and it doesn't state it specifically.
    "No whining in the woods"

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    It should say on their site but always safe to call. I do have a short story I wanted to share though. A couple years ago I committed to a trip with a few friends at a state park in Alabama. I went to the website a few days before to get directions and I saw that hammock camping was not allowed. I called them up and told them that I used tree huggers and that I was extra careful not to harm the trees, etc. They informed me that the reason they did not allow hammocks wasn't because of tree damage, but because of some indecent exposure issues with hammock campers changing clothes at the campsite in view of other campers. I would have changed in the restroom or inside the hammock, but I could see where campers would complain if this happened. Just something we all need to be aware of. Anyway, I saw your post about the trip and would love to be able to go this weekend but I think I am going to Sipsey instead. Good luck and have a great weekend.
    www.timeoutdoors.blogspot.com

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Winter Dream 13'
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 quilts
    Suspension
    Tree strap/Buckles
    Thats a good point you make lots of people don't take the small stuff inconsideration.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If your on a hiking trail you are more than likely OK the majority of folks don't venture on backpacking trails. Use tree straps and practice good hammocking. Rarely do I ever see a park ranger on a hiking trail. In fact...I never have.
    Shug

Far as I see no mention of hammock either way.....

HIKING INFORMATION:

The Pine Mountain Trail System - This lovely and well maintained over 40 miles trail system is rated one of the best in the Southeast and one of the jewels of Georgia Park System. The trail was begun in 1975 and still maintained by volunteers of the Pine Mountain Trail Association. The PMTA leads a monthly group led hike and workday trip. Some 50-60,000 hikers a year use the Pine Mountain Trail. Hikers are urged to purchase a trail map (available at the park office/information center.) The main 23 mile trail is marked/blazed with blue rectangles, all connector trails and access trails blazed in white. The Mountain Creek Nature Trail in blazed in red. The main trail starts at the west end of the park on GA 190 near the Gardens Country Store and ends at the WJSP-TV Tower Parking Lot on Alt 85. Hiking is FREE but you must obtain a Daily Use Parking Permit for vehicles parked anywhere within the park. Day hiking is permitted all year round (during day light hours only.)

TIPS for hiking on the Pine Mountain Trails in FDR State Park. Buy study and carry a trail map. Ask questions before you head out on a hike as to hike route and length. Besides dressing for the weather, carry essential hiking equipment (water/drink, snacks, small first aid kit, flashlight, toilet paper.) Note: Water in streams and springs must be treated or filtered before drinking.

Most people can hike about two miles per hour. With children plan on the slowest ones pace. If you have say 3 hours to hike, figure the distance you can hike at 4-5 miles, but don’t plan more hike than daylight. Give yourself some time to spare. Please bag and pack out trash. Currently the only trash containers along the trail are at the Dowdell Knob Trailhead and the WJSP-TV tower Parking Lot trailhead. Please leave the trail even better than you found it by packing out your trash and picking up litter left by someone less thoughtful than yourself.

It is always a good idea to let someone in the park office know of your intended hike route, vehicle information cell phone number, and when you plan to come off the trail.

If you have an emergency along the trails call the park 24 hour emergency number 706-801-5006 first (not 911).For general trail information, call 706-663-4858.

BACKCOUNTRY CAMPSITES ALONG THE PINE MOUNTAIN TRAIL:

In early 2012 two new backcountry campsites were presented for consideration to the managers of FDR State Park, who endorsed the presented sites. After review by various Georgia Department of Natural Resources departments, the campsites were approved. Volunteers working with the Pine Mountain Trail Association helped clear the sites and access trails including carrying in parts for a bridge the PMTA provided at one site. The wooden name and directional signs for the two new sites were installed on May 26th. Both camps were ready for use on May 27, 2012.

•
    Turtle Hollow Campsite:
    (A large group size camp with 2-tent sub camp Turtle Bluff).

The start of the access trail to Turtle Hollow Campsite is 1.4 miles east of Fox Den Cove Parking Lot on the Pine Mountain Trail. From Molly Hugger Hill Parking Lot it is about 3.6 miles west. There is a wooden sign and brown strip sign at the head of the of the access trail to the camp off the PMT. Follow the white blazed access trail down west some 780’ to another brown strip sign. To the right of this sign is the main campsite which can accommodate a large group of backpackers (12-15 tents or around 30+ backpackers) but there is only one established fire ring. Water for this group size camp is a small spring stream that runs by the camp.

For 1-4 people with 2 tents max use Turtle Bluff. At the brown strip sign is a footbridge. Cross the bridge and follow the trail up a short ways to Turtle Bluff. This small sub camp, overlooks the spring stream below. There is room for only two tents and there is an established fire ring there.

Even if there is a group staying at the main Turtle Hollow Campsite, Turtle Bluff is across the spring and up the hill enough to offer “privacy” for backpackers away from a group at the main campsite.

While scouting out the location for this new campsite, a turtle shell was found near the water. The name Turtle Hollow seemed to fit, and was chosen as the name.

•
    Big Oak Springs

The access trail to Big Oak Springs Campsite, starts off the Pine Mountain Trail about .8 of a mile west of Rocky Point Parking Lot. If you are coming east from say Dowdell Knob it is just about 500’ east of the PMT Mile 17 marker (which is east of nearby Sparks Creek Campsite.) Follow the white blazed access trail off the PMT 495’ down to the main part of the camp and the one established fire ring. Just west of the fire ring is a large pile of rocks. There are two signs telling do not move/use the rocks nor camp within 50’ of them (they are part of historic old home place.) The water source for the camp is further down the access trail just 250’ to a beautiful spring head. There are actually a couple of springs coming out of the ground at this point. One spring has a neat rocked frame around it. Across the stream is evidence of two “whiskey stills.” Above the springs you will see a HUGE white oak tree. Hence the name of the camp, Big Oak Springs. This area for this new campsite was found and suggested by PMTA Board and LIFE member Eddie Hall.

At both camps there is a lot of dead, on the ground fire wood to use (where there is not a FIRE BAN and campfires are allowed.) The main thing is that like at all Pine Mountain Trail backcountry campsites, use the established fire rings and do not build or move them. At these two new camps there is only one fire ring at each. Noted with red signs at each camp is the boundary of the camps telling do not camp beyond the signs (as those areas are not part of the established camp.)

Backcountry Camping and Campsite Descriptions
    The Pine Mountain Trail – FDR State Park

Below is a description of 16 designated campsites along the trails. Camping is by permit only and only in the designated named campsite areas. In campsites where campfires are permitted, those sites have established fire rings. Please do not move a fire ring or build new ones. Build fires with dead, downed wood: no cutting of any size trees, dead or living. Whiskey Still and Grindstone Gap have little, if any, water nearby during warmer months. Be very cautious if you have a campfire at those two and drown all campfires with about 5 gallons of water. Sassafras Hill campsite does not have any water nearby most of the year and the FDR State Park manager has designated it a dry camp. NO CAMPFIRES permitted there at all unles they tell you upon arrival at park (otherwise stoves only there).

Park rules state NO alcohol consumption at all in the park except inside rental cabins, so no drinking in the backcountry and at picnic areas. No axes, large knives and machetes are allowed in the backcountry. Pack out all your trash and help by taking out any left by others. NOTE: If you come to a campsite and find trash in the fire ring/camp or a smoldering fire, contact the park office right away to inform the manager/ranger on duty (send them photos and help by cleaning up trash). If you leave a campsite with trash, you as the last permitted person there can be cited.

•
    Little Bridges Campsite This campsite is located on the Chestnut Oak Trail section just off the main PMT. You can get to this site from the west end of the Chestnut Oak Trail by parking at the Gardens Country Store, hiking up GA 190 a short ways to the rock wall entrance way of FDR State Park on the left. The Pine Mountain Trail sign is on the south side of the road on the right. Look for a sign for the Chestnut Oak Trail on your left. Hike the Chestnut Oak Trail east 1.7 miles to the campsite. (The entire Chestnut Oak Trail is 2.1 miles long.)

If you are hiking from Mile 1.4 of the Pine Mountain Trail at the Garden Overlook Parking Area, you cross GA 190 to the north. Just after you cross the road, there is a junction with the Chestnut Oak Trail that goes to your left (west). Little Bridges Campsite is located just down the mountain 0.4 mile from this junction. Large hardwoods are all around this beautiful camp. This camp was built to allow backpackers a close first or last night's camp. The distance to GA 190 will make it a good choice for first time backpackers or those with younger campers. There is a nice year-round spring beside the camp entrance that runs under a little bridge.

•
    Dead Pine Campsite This is the first site from the west end of the main PMT. The site is located past Mile 2 about 0.4 mile. You can also hike to the campsite from "No Name Parking Lot" which is only about a half-mile hike. From "No Name Parking Lot" there is a sign directing one to the Pine Mountain Trail via a dirt road off/away from the parking lot. Hiking this road you will pass the red blazed Mountain Creek Trail (which crosses the road) and you continue on uphill until you see the wooden Pine Mountain Trail directional sign. Turn right (west) there on to the blue-blazed PMT. You will pass over the dam of the large CCC Hatchery Pond and continue on until you see the campsite sign. Campsite will be on your right. The water source is from a spring the PMT crosses just west of the entrance to the campsite. Dead Pine has two fire rings.

•
    Broken Tree Campsite This campsite is located 1.6 miles east from the FDR Park Office on the main PMT. If you park at Fox Den Cove Parking Lot, cross GA 190 and follow the PMT back to the west. Broken Tree Campsite is 0.6 mile west of Mile 6. From the Park Office, if you hike east you cross paved roads twice before you reach the camp near Mile 5. The camp is on the south side of the trail (heading east) in a small bottom just before you start back uphill. There is a wooden sign on your right. This is a small camp for three tents at most. There is one fire ring. In winter this is a warm camp, as a hill north of it should block the wind. There is an ample supply of downed, dead wood for campfires. There is a year-round spring on the edge of the camp.

•
    Grindstone Gap Campsite Of the sixteen backcountry campsites, fourteen are located on the main Pine Mountain Trail. Grindstone Gap is located on the white-blazed Sawtooth Trail (Little Bridges is on the Chestnut Oak Trail). To get to Grindstone Gap, you can go west on the PMT (south of GA HWY 190) from Fox Den Cove Parking Lot and then east on the Sawtooth Trail about 1.9 miles. From Mollyhugger Hill Parking Lot go across GA 190 to the south and onto the PMT just a short way, then right (west) on the Sawtooth Trail about 0.8 of a mile. Grindstone is located in a bottom, off the trail to the south in a rather flat area. Water has not been reliable recently in warmer months but is ok until summer. Late May until the rains of fall, consider this a dry camp.

•
    Turtle Hollow Campsite Established May 2012, Turtle Hollow is a large, group-sized camp with a 2-tent sub-camp, Turtle Bluff. the start of the access trail to Turtle Hollow Campsite is 1.4 miles east of Fox Den Cove Parking Lot on the Pine Mountain Trail. From Mollyhugger Hill Parkign Lot it is about 3.6 miles west. The main camp can accommodate a large group of backpackers (12-15 tents or around 30+ backpackers). There is only ONE fire ring here.

For 1-4 people with 2 tents max use Turtle Bluff. This small sub-camp overlooks the spring stream below. There is room for only two tents and there is one established fire ring. Even if there is a group staying at the main Turtle Hollow Campsite, Turtle Bluff is across the spring and up the hill enough to offer privacy for backpackers away from a group at the main campsite.

Check out Turtle Hollow and Big Oak! Download the PDF for photos, descriptions and map sections of these campsites.

•
    Big Knot Campsite From Fox Den Cove parking lot, go east on the PMT (north of Hwy 190 away from the parking lot). The hike to Big Knot takes you past a large rock cliff near Indian Mountain. Down the slope away from the top of the mountain, the trail views to the west are spectacular. The trail crosses a small wooden bridge just before an uphill climb and trail to the right for the site. Mile 8 is just past the site sign. The site is on a small ridge with three fire rings to choose from. Water, in a clear spring, is located just at the bottom of the ridge to the east of the site about 100 yards or so.

•
    Jenkins Spring Campsite Established October 2008, this campsite is 0.3 miles east of Mile 8. From Fox Den Cove Parking Lot, hike east 2.1 miles. You will cross a small spring with bamboo on your right. The access trail is just beyond on your left. From Mollyhugger Hill Parking Lot, hike west 2.8 miles. The access trail will be on your right. Follow the white-blazed access trail across a small bridge to the site. Water source is marked with a sign in the northwest corner of camp. The boundary of FDR State Park is approximately 200 yards north of the campsite. This is private property. Please note the marks on the trees and stay within the park. There are two fire rings.

•
    Beech Bottom Campsite Just to the east of the Mile 9 marker the trail runs alongside a stream and makes a slight turn uphill (east) and the campsite location sign is on the north side (left) of the trail. This well-used site is moved (relocated) from east to west side (and back) of the water every couple of years to keep compaction down. Be aware the old locations are not to be used (there are signs noting which is the current authorized site adn old site area closed). There is a 12' bridge over the water on the path leading off the PMT to the current site on the west side of the creek. If you leave the Mollyhugger Hill Parking Lot and go west on the trail, you have about a two-mile hike. You go down and up several times with good switchbacks west of Mile 10. The site is a flat, cleared area under tree cover. Be aware of the signs at the back (north side) of the site that mark the boundary of FDR State Park; the pines there are private property. There are two established fire rings at the cmap. The water source at the site can be counted on all year long.

•
    Whiskey Still Campsite If you park at Mollyhugger Hill Parking Lot and cross the road (south of GA Hwy 190), you are going east on the trail down the mountain. About 0.4 mile in you come to a large rock and a sign on the right. Follow the site trail to the three tent sites on the hillside. This site was reworked in 1998-1999 as an Eagle Scout project. In 2001, Scouts reworked the access trail. There are only three tent sites and small fire rings. There is one larger fire ring just below the three tent sites with a nice sitting area. Water: It is a 1/4 mile down a marked water trail to a small spring southwest of the site. Note: There is still some evidence of a forest fire north and west of the campsite. It was burned in the spring of 2010 (campers left a smoldering fire that caught up and burned 15 surrounding acres).

•
    Relocated January 2014: Bethel Creek Campsite The new campsite location, somewhat smaller than the old one, will accommodate at most 5 tents. The site is 737 feet west of the BootTop Trail / Pine Mountain Trail intersection. Water source is a year-round spring head just 140' west of the campsite (27' off the trail). There is only one fire ring authorized here (like all PMT backcountry campsites, please do not add fire rings or move them). There is a lot of downed wood near the new site, and with water nearby, campfires are permitted at present time. Download a full description with photos. NOTE: On the PMTA map (2013 and older editions), the site is shown west of Mile 13. Old Bethel Creek Campsite now has an engraved sign there noting it is closed (no camping or fires there). It was located 1710' west of Mile 13. New site is 2,310' east of old location, east of Mile 13.

•
    Brown Dog Campsite Built in 1998 and is north of the trail just west of Mile 16, just east of the small waterfall near Brown Dog Bluff. Uphill past the entrance sign about 80 yards, you find a nice flat area and three fire rings. There is ample wood all around the site. To get to Brown Dog Campsite you can hike in from the Dowdell Knob area east about 1.5 miles or park at Rocky Point Parking Lot and hike in west about 2.1 miles. You can also hike in from the Dowdell Knob Road BootTop Trail Parking area then hike the BootTop Trail to the east end of it, then west on the PMT just past Mile 16. The water source is the spring and waterfall mentioned above.

•
    Relocated May 2014: Sparks Creek Campsite Now located in a bottom on the west side of Sparks Creek just across the creek from the previous site (just west of Mile 17 about 0.2 mile). The hike from Rocky Point is in its best (about 1.3 miles) as the trail comes down through the cliffs at Rocky Point and downhill all the way. Just west of Mile 17 the trail turns left and you cross Sparks Creek on stepping stones and the trail continues along the stream a short way then uphill about 100 yards to the signs marking the campsite (on your left). Take the short access trail downhill from there to the site. The new site location only has two fire rings and is somewhat smaller than the old location. Watch for signs showing boundary of this site and noting the closure of the old site.

Alternate directions: Go east on the PMT from Dowdell Knob, past Brown Dog Capsite about a mile. (NOTE: There was bridge you crossed to get to the old site that has been removed. New access trail is west of the old bridge location.)

Download the PDF for photos and descriptions of this campsite.

•
    Big Oak Springs Campsite Established May 2012. The access trail to Big Oak Springs Campsite starts off the Pine Mountain Trail about 0.8 of a mile west of Rocky Point Parking Lot. If you are coming east from Dowdell Knob, it is just about 500' east of the PMT Mile 17 marker (which is east of nearby Sparks Creek Campsite). This campsite is like most other PMT campsites, designed for around 15 people / 8 tents. Follow the white-blazed access trail off the PMT 495' down to the main part of the camp and the one established fire ring. The water source for the camp is further down the access trail just 250' to a beautiful spring head. Across the spring stream is evidence of two "whiskey stills." Above the spring you will see a HUGE white oak tree, hence the name Big Oak Springs.

•
    Sassafras Hill Campsite Most hike to the site starting in from the WJSP-TV tower and heading west on the trail some 4.6 miles to the site. You can also take an easy hike in from Rocky Point Parking Lot (cross GA 190 from the parking lot ) and head east 0.4 of a mile. West, just before the site is a small wooden bridge that you cross and continue uphill on the blue-blazed PMT to the site on the left. The site is located on a flat hill top. This is a large site and was a favorite of scout units in the past, but be aware it is NOT suggested for groups use now as there is no water at the present time west and east of the site for the last couple of years (only some runoff water after a rain sometimes). Since Sassafras Hill has NO reliable water nearby, it is now designated by the FDR park manager as a dry camp and NO campfires allowed there at all unless you are told otherwise upon arrival to obtain your backcountry permit (careful use of stoves only). There are signs in the former fire ring areas warning of no campfires.

•
    Relocated June 2014: Old Sawmill Campsite For many years this site has been a favorite of Boy Scout groups and individuals wanting a site a couple of miles in for a first-night place to stay. The site was a large site that had grown larger with use over the years, and had become quite bare and compacted. The only way for the original site to get some leaf cover / restoration was to close it and move the location. On June 21, 2014, the site was relocated just west of its original location.The new site area is less than half the size of the original site and now has two designated fire rings and the site will only hold about 7-8 tents (or some 15-18 backpackers). Most people hike in to this site area from the WJSP-TV tower parking lot trailhead (about 2.7 miles).

The hike in to Old Sawmill is one of the most scenic, with lots of varied hiking over water crossings and hills, past cliffs adn waterfalls including Cascade Falls. Alternate route is hiking in from the west, and it is about 2.3 miles east of Rocky Point Parking Lot trailhead. The site has ample water from a good-sized stream and the access point to the stream is noted with a sign just 75' east past the entrance to the new camp. The new campsite entrance is just over 100' past the old site entrance. NOTE: The old location of the cmapsite is not to be used at all and sign at the old location entrance (now blocked) tell this. Download the PDF for photos and descriptions of the campsite.

•
    Bumble Bee Ridge Campsite Most people hike in to this site from the WJSP-TV tower at the end of the trail. The site is located at the end of an uphill climb just past Slippery Rock Falls, about 1.5 miles in from the WJSP-TV tower parking lot. The site has some large pine trees as cover. Water source is back down the trail at the bottom of the hill east of the camp. Please stay on the marked blue-blazed trail in and near the campsite area when going for water.

NOTE: If you have a campfire, use one of two fire rings only, but be prepared to haul about 5 gallons of water up the hill to put out the fire. Remember: If you have a fire at night and not in the morning, you still need to drown the likely smoldering ashes! We of the PMTA have found too many smoldering campfires at this camp.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    WB U, Loco Libre T
    Suspension
    Webbing & buckles
    I have hammock camped there on two previous occasions without issue. I had looked all over their website for any mention of hammocks and found nothing. Hammocks are becoming more popular and I figured if there was an issue they would have mentioned it. Still I can see where you would want to know for sure. FYI, campfires are not permitted at all of the campsites. Mainly the ones that don't have water close by. Brown Dog campsite has been my favorite. It is a short distance off the trail and can't be seen from the main trail. Water is close by.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20, KAQ 1, Lynx
    Suspension
    Webbing / buckles
    Images
    No prohibition for hammock use in the regs. I've have used my hammock on the trail with no issues. Just make sure to use the existing camp sites and register at the park office before starting your hike.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyFerguson View Post
    I'm planning a trip this weekend to to the Pine Mountain Trail which is part of the F.D. Roosevelt State Park in West Georgia.

I woke this morning with a old thought. What if Hammock Camping is not allow? I re-read through all the trail regulations and the state park regulations but I did not find any information that said I could not hammock camp at the tent sites.

How can I be certain? Would the information provided by the state park and trail organization clearly state "NO HAMMOCK CAMPING"? Should I just Call?

Any advice?
    Hammock verbage might not be in the rules it is still a pretty new hobby.
    But if there is anything in there about tying stuff or hanging anything from the tree's you can bet the local official might ask you to take your hammock down.
    Campgrounds that see lots of traffic seem to have the most rules about protecting their trees. The farther from these types of campgrounds you get the less trouble you will have.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast