Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainhanger View Post
    I'll also add that I'd go with a double layer just because of those times when you don't use a uq then it's a little harder for them biting insects to get you! Lol
    Yes, mosquitoes could be a huge bother for sure in hot nights when you won't want to use the UQ. In that case a double-layer will protect your underside. Another way to provide a second layer is a breathable underquilt protector (UQP) like the ones offered in the link below. It's a double-use item that will also help to protect the UQ from rain. Only issue is that 2QZQ may not be able to deliver on time - check with them if interested.

http://2qzqhammockhanger.com/hammockaccessories.html

Pertaining to integrated hammocks:
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    I also find it easier to use.
    Could you elaborate on this? An adjustable ridgeline seems the best for comfort? How do the fixed ridgelines compare? The integrated net also potentially limiting the hammock whereas an external net seem more freeing and that it would protect the underside from bugs if I wanted a SL, but I plan to use a UQ so I don't know if that matter if I would ever want to sleep without a UQ because like you I think I can sleep in heat? (UQP?) does loosening the UQ let mosquitos in? I don't plan to get in and out of my hammock a lot in the night at least so the external net seems advantageous, can I just piss out the side onto the external net like I would do out of an integrated net? I do not want to get out if I need to piss.

Last issue is a a wider hammocks tie outs wont be able to go through an external bug net easily, something else I'm also considering. I'm not sure what the balanced best width choice is for me. What do you think?
    Last edited by comfyHanger; 01-15-2016 at 21:14.

Hammock
    12' arrowhead
    Tarp
    Nube'
    Insulation
    SMr inferno set
    Images
    Look at SMr their nube systems work very well in the climate you are going to. Their hammocks are very comfortable, the nube is outstanding for rain protection, The bug net is attached to the nube not the hammock so pest are kept at a comfortable distance. SMr has used their system heavily in the tropics.
    A canoe or trike to do most of the hauling.
    A hammock to take away the bumps at night.
    Now that's the way to go.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    For cuben fiber and where you are going... I've read about bad things happening when it is left in direct sun in a hot environment for longer periods. Cuben has a lot of good things going for it. Since you are going stationary if you get Cuben make sure it's pitched in the shade all day.

Tarps create a green house effect, and with Cuben being a translucent extruded fiber reinforced product it creates a greater green house and can create melting issues. These were reports coming from people camping in hot, arid environments without an fully enclosed canopy like in Texas summers.

As said silnylon has issues also!

For an underquilt with lows to 65 get a jar bridge one season. It's light and made with 3.6oz climashield. Get a similar top quilt. I've comfortable used a diy 2.5 oz climashield UQ of similar size to 50 degrees. If you go colder then that I'd upgrade to the three season version to be safe.

An adjustable ridgeline seems the best for comfort? How do the fixed ridgelines compare? The integrated net also potentially limiting the hammock whereas an external net seem more freeing and that it would protect the underside from bugs if I wanted a SL, but I plan to use a UQ so I don't know if that matter if I would ever want to sleep without a UQ because I think I can sleep in heat? (UQP?) does loosening the UQ let mosquitos in? I don't plan to get in and out of my hammock a lot in the night at least so the external net seems advantageous, can I just piss out the side onto the external net like I would do out of an integrated net? I do not want to get out if I need to piss.

Last issue is a a wider hammocks tie outs wont be able to go through an external bug net easily, something else I'm also considering. I'm not sure what the balanced best width choice is for me. What do you think?

Hammock
    11' Hexon 1.6, Poly D 1.3
    Tarp
    HG Standard Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    12' tree straps to
    Images
    comfyhanger, with all due respect, have you slept much in a hammock? It seems like you might answer a lot of your own questions by getting a cheap hammock and trying it out. for instance, an adjustable ridgeline isn't necessarily better than a fixed one; people need different lengths and being able adjust your ridgeline lets you find your ideal length instead of relying on the 83% average.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by comfyHanger View Post
    An adjustable ridgeline seems the best for comfort? How do the fixed ridgelines compare? The integrated net also potentially limiting the hammock whereas an external net seem more freeing and that it would protect the underside from bugs if I wanted a SL, but I plan to use a UQ so I don't know if that matter if I would ever want to sleep without a UQ because I think I can sleep in heat? (UQP?) does loosening the UQ let mosquitos in? I don't plan to get in and out of my hammock a lot in the night at least so the external net seems advantageous, can I just piss out the side onto the external net like I would do out of an integrated net? I do not want to get out if I need to piss.

A structural ridge line is helpful to find your optimal length. Most people switch to fixed after they figure out their optimum setting in my experience. 83% is a guideline.

For integrated net vs a fronkey... I've never gotten bugs through my fronkey or my fixed nets. Either way I wouldn't pee through either net. IF I was going to pee out of a hammock I'd probably go with the fronkey, because I could just pull it up. No unzipping and trying to find the hole. Peeing through the net is asking for it to run down your hammock I'd think. It would get a bit smelly after a night or three. If you went for the sock netting it's the same issues as an integrated.

What i do for late night nature calls is keep a wide mouth Gatorade or Powerade bottle in my ridge line organizer. It takes a smidge of coordination in the night, but I haven't had an oops yet. Yay for flexible fabric... It's a reason to get a nylon over polyester hammock. In the morning you can dispose away from camp to discourage smell.

For tie outs... in my experience tie outs are needed only when using an integrated net. They add tension and keep the net out of your face. With a fonkey/sock it drapes around. Your shoulders and felt push the hammock into the right shape. That plus gravity keeps the fronkey/sock clear.

I personally prefer a fronkey, because I can hop right out of my hammock and pull it over my head. It's much quicker for entry and exit.
    Last edited by Monkeyboy42; 01-15-2016 at 22:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcolon13 View Post
    comfyhanger, with all due respect, have you slept much in a hammock? It seems like you might answer a lot of your own questions by getting a cheap hammock and trying it out. for instance, an adjustable ridgeline isn't necessarily better than a fixed one; people need different lengths and being able adjust your ridgeline lets you find your ideal length instead of relying on the 83% average.
    I've only slept in fixed ridgelined and indoor hammocks. I don't know what my ideal ridgeline length is so an adjustable ridgeline seems advantageous over 83%, I'm curious what peoples opinions are on this?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcolon13 View Post
    I've been sleeping in one indoors for a couple weeks now and it's worked fine so far. What was the issue you found?
    Well, if the layers are not aligned, they won't share the weight equally. If the top layer is a bit shorter, it will carry more if not most of the weight. If it is longer, it will carry hardly any weight. And then there is the whipping. With one layer it takes a bit of practice to get an even gather (if that is what you want). With two layers moving independently, it's even more difficult.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    An adjustable ridgeline seems the best for comfort? How do the fixed ridgelines compare?
    If that would be the case, nobody would buy integrated hammocks. Integrated hammocks almost all have a fixed ridgeline, because otherwise the net would either flop around (short RL) or rip (long RL). With an integrated hammock, the designer determined a specific ridgeline length that he thinks gives the best comfort with his design. So it either works for you, or it doesn't.

With a no-net hammock, you can try different RL lengths and see what works best for you.

And just to make things more difficult, there are many more factors that influence how comfortable a hammock feels. For me, it's definitely fabric / fabric stretch. The way the hammock body is cut and gathered makes a difference as well. Design elements like the Knotty mod or a footbox can change the lay, too.

For example I have two hammocks that are very comfortable to me. One is an 11' DIY with a ~82% ridgeline; the other one is a WBBB that has a ~88% ridgeline.

The integrated net also potentially limiting the hammock whereas an external net seem more freeing and that it would protect the underside from bugs if I wanted a SL, but I plan to use a UQ so I don't know if that matter if I would ever want to sleep without a UQ because like you I think I can sleep in heat? (UQP?) does loosening the UQ let mosquitos in?
    My hiking hammock is a double layer integrated hammock (WBBB); I have always used an underquilt, though I sometimes vent; I never sleep naked or even half-naked --- as far as I can remember, I have never been bitten through the underside of the hammock. I did manage to push my hand against the bug netting - and since I didn't use Permethrin the mosquitos got me. But that can happen with a bug sock as well.

I don't plan to get in and out of my hammock a lot in the night at least so the external net seems advantageous, can I just piss out the side onto the external net like I would do out of an integrated net? I do not want to get out if I need to piss.
    I wouldn't know. Even if I had the physical ability, I'm not sure that I would want to use it that way. I know most guys don't seem to care that much about it, but I wouldn't want my gear to be sprayed with urine. Even if it's only a small drop. I also don't get the big problem - what do you do at home in your bed? As long as temps are not very low, what's the difference? I usually don't drink much in the evening, so it mostly isn't a problem anyway.

Tie-outs are unnecessary with a no-net hammock. Their job is to keep the bug netting out of your face. A bug sock also doesn't need tie-outs, because it slides along the hammock. The fabric isn't pushed over the hammock to sag in your face.

I've only slept in fixed ridgelined and indoor hammocks. I don't know what my ideal ridgeline length is so an adjustable ridgeline seems advantageous over 83%, I'm curious what peoples opinions are on this?
    There is no ideal ridgeline-length. Just an ideal RL-length for you with one specific hammock. Another person using your hammock with your ideal setting might prefer a different length.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast