Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by comfyHanger View Post
    Cuben fiber vs silnylon? What do you recommend?
    I recommend what I ended up with after trying a few others: cuben fiber.

I'm trying for a synthetic quilt because I'm vegan, but also might a synthetic be more resistant to the precipitation? bulk and weight are not my biggest factors because I plan to station.
    I have been a lacto-vegetarian for over 35 years, so I understand where you are coming from. I compromised by getting TQs and UQs made with duck down instead of goose down (made by UGQ). Also, the down UGQ uses is collected from animals that have been "ethically and humanely" treated, as per their website.

Yes temps are in the 80s and can get as low as 65, how do you think that impacts my decision, I still feel like an UQ is necessary.
    Definitely impacts your decision, mostly regarding your quilts. You will still need an underquilt, but not a zero-degree one. More like the 40-degree I recommended. And I would also take a topquilt, maybe a 50-degree. Or you could buy a blanket once you get to Jamaica.

And is the extra width really unnecessary if I tie it out, might it allow me to lie wider? or does it just make me get the comfy lie easier or does it do nothing really?
    Wider is better, but there's a point of diminishing returns. 72'' may be overkill for someone your size/weght.

What do you think of the warbonnet footbox compared to these?
    Well here I may get in trouble with some forum dwellers, as I did own a WBBB XCL and did not like the footbox or the shelf, and sold it. Then I found the SLD Trail Lair and haven't looked back. The WBBB was very comfy, and really liked the fabric, just didn't like the complication. But many people absolutely love it, and it is arguably the most popular hammock in HF.

You seem to favor the SLD?
    Definitely a good hammock with integrated bugnet, and specially noteworthy for you, because it will be delivered fast and ready to hang (with the "new hanger package").

Edit: You'll also need tree straps (aka "tree huggers") to hang the hammock. And some hardware like buckles or toggles.
    Last edited by Gravity; 01-15-2016 at 15:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
    I recommend what I ended up with after trying a few others: cuben fiber.

I have been a lacto-vegetarian for over 35 years, so I understand where you are coming from. I compromised by getting TQs and UQs made with duck down instead of goose down (made by UGQ). Also, the down UGQ uses is collected from animals that have been "ethically and humanely" treated, as per their website.

Definitely impacts your decision, mostly regarding your quilts. You will still need an underquilt, but not a zero-degree one. More like the 40-degree I recommended. And I would also take a topquilt, maybe a 50-degree. Or you could buy a blanket once you get to Jamaica.

Wider is better, but there's a point of diminishing returns. 72'' may be overkill for someone your size/weght.

Well here I may get in trouble with some forum dwellers, as I did own a WBBB XCL and did not like the footbox or the shelf, and sold it. Then I found the SLD Trail Lair and haven't looked back. The WBBB was very comfy, and really liked the fabric, just didn't like the complication. But many people absolutely love it, and it is arguably the most popular hammock in HF.

Definitely a good hammock with integrated bugnet, and specially noteworthy for you, because it will be delivered fast and ready to hang (with the "new hanger package").
    Why cuben fiber over silnylon? Comes in any dark forest colors? What did you not like about the footbox and shelf? And what would you say is the best material in SLD or in general?

Hammock
    11' Hexon 1.6, Poly D 1.3
    Tarp
    HG Standard Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    12' tree straps to
    Images
    There are pretty limited colors for cuben tarps, most of them quite light and fairly translucent. HG does sell a camo option that looks pretty cool. The nice thing about CF is that it doesn't stretch when wet, is easily field repairable with a variety of tapes, and it's incredibly light. It was the one splurge I made in my hammocking purchasing and I don't regret it one bit.

My recommendation insofar as hammocks is to go with a medium weight fabric or two lightweight layers. I wanted badly to like a single layer 1.1oz fabric, but they stretch too much for me (and for many people on this forum). You may be comfortable in a SL 1.0 Hexon, but I think you've got better odds with something 1.9 or higher. If you decide to get a Dutch, you could always get two 1.0 Hexons or a 1.0/1.6 and whip them together. Then you could try out a DL or take them apart and have two SL hammocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dcolon13 View Post
    If you decide to get a Dutch, you could always get two 1.0 Hexons or a 1.0/1.6 and whip them together. Then you could try out a DL or take them apart and have two SL hammocks.
    That's a great idea.

That camo looks less stealthy, how much so compared to another tarp would you say? It doesn't stretch when wet, how useful is that? Is it really worth the less stealth and price? I plan to be stationed so I don't think weight is that big of an issue.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Well, you already know that the only way to find the most comfortable hammock is to try as many as possible. Since you don't have much time and money is no object, here is what I would do: I would order all of them Obviously, I'm a complete addict and I have way too many hammocks. So take my advice with a grain of salt... But all of the hammocks on your short list are good choices and all have their fans. Selling them (in case you don't like one or more) should be easy.

If you want to narrow it down, order one integrated hammock and one no-net with a bug sock. Both systems have their advantages and disadvantages. An integrated hammock is a bit lighter than a no-net with bug sock. I also find it easier to use. But you have to live with the lay the hammock maker designed. There's no playing with ridgeline length, and depending on how you want to lie in the hammock, the way the bug net is connected to the hammock body can be restricting. With a bug sock - especially a zippered one - you have more protection, because it encloses the hammock completely. Also, you can ditch the sock if there are no bugs - and you can easily exchange the no-net hammock without having to buy another bug sock. You can lie in your hammock any way you like and play with ridgeline length.

If I had to pick two systems, I would order these two:
    a) The WBBB XLC and the WB Superfly. You'll get a small discount, and even if it turns out that you don't like the XLC, I have never heard of anybody being sorry to have bought the Superfly.
    b) Since you would like a wide hammock, get either the Freebird or the SLD Tree Runner. DH is hugely popular and always has a long waiting list, so you might be better off with SLD. By all accounts he is almost as fast as Dutch (who is hard to beat). I would also get WL's 11' bug sock because I prefer the zipper and this is the only 11' zippered bug sock I know. And it doesn't use velcro, which I hate because it has damaged a couple of my hammocks.

When both hammocks arrive and you still have time, use them for a couple of nights and pack the one that feels better.

With regards to fabric choice, you'll have to roll the dice. Pretty much all fabrics are nice, but they all provide different lays. I can't tolerate stretch, so any nylon under 1.9oz won't work as a single layer. Since most people are not that sensitive, I think the 1.6oz Hexon or 1.6oz HyperD would both be great choices for a single layer. If you think you prefer less stretch, 1.9oz ripstop provides a very nice lay.

For the underquilt go with AHE. I would pick the New River, which is a full-length underquilt. Full-length uqs are more comfy, and weight is not a huge issue if you remain stationary. With a 25° rating you will be on the safe side, and it's a great allround uq that you will be able to use after your trip as well. It's usually easy to vent an underquilt - but it's a pain in the neck to add insulation (especially in a single layer hammock) if you find you need more warmth than the underquilt can provide.

I would also think about getting an Underquilt Protector. If it's too warm for an underquilt but too cold to sleep without insulation, you might be fine with just using the UQP. And if it's very windy, it will keep the wind from stealing the warm air in your underquilt.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcolon13 View Post
    If you decide to get a Dutch, you could always get two 1.0 Hexons or a 1.0/1.6 and whip them together. Then you could try out a DL or take them apart and have two SL hammocks.
    Have you tried that successfully? I have made a couple of double layer hammocks, and I don't think that the result would be usable. To work really well, the two layers have to fit pretty closely - which will be difficult to achieve by whipping two single layer hammocks together. I don't think it's worth the bother. A better solution would be to talk to Dutch and ask if it's possible to order a selection of hammocks and return the ones that don't suit.

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Why cuben fiber over silnylon? Comes in any dark forest colors?
    Pros: It is light, light, light (most important reason by far), doesn't stretch when wet, doesn't absorb water. Cons: Does not provide shade -- hugely important if you plan to use the tarp in daytime. The pros are more important if you will be hiking, less so if you will be stationary.

It doesn't come in dark forest colors. There's a camo version but I wouldn't take anything camo into a developing country that has soldiers with machine guns patrolling the streets and countryside. Full disclosure: I hate camo.

What did you not like about the footbox and shelf?
    The two extra tie-outs required. I am happy with a ridgeline organizer - simple, easy, enough for my needs. The footbox seemed pointless. Many and wiser people will disagree.

And what would you say is the best material in SLD or in general?
    So many fabrics, such limited experience! Not too thin, like the 1.0 or 1.1. Hexon 1.6 gets good reports. SLD has 1.6 and 1.9 ripstop. I would go with the 1.9 because it's a bit firmer, less stretchy.

Amendment to one of my previous comments: To hang the hammock, you will have to add tree straps and a buckle of some kind, even if you get a "complete" kit like SLD's. Definitely will need those if hanging from the same trees for an extended time, otherwise you may compromise the health of the trees.
    Last edited by Gravity; 01-15-2016 at 08:42.

Hammock
    11' Hexon 1.6, Poly D 1.3
    Tarp
    HG Standard Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    12' tree straps to
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Have you tried that successfully? I have made a couple of double layer hammocks, and I don't think that the result would be usable. To work really well, the two layers have to fit pretty closely - which will be difficult to achieve by whipping two single layer hammocks together. I don't think it's worth the bother. A better solution would be to talk to Dutch and ask if it's possible to order a selection of hammocks and return the ones that don't suit.
    I've been sleeping in one indoors for a couple weeks now and it's worked fine so far. What was the issue you found?

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    I've had all the hammocks mentioned plus many more and right now I mainly use three, all SLD! I have two trail lairs, one out of a older material 2.3 dl with inte grated bugnet, and a HyperD 1.6 dl, with integrated bug net and a 12' tree runner. I would go with these above the others for they simply work better.the hyper d has a sewn in pouch which is nice and the net unzips into its own pouch if you want to go netless. Wether you need the extra width is hard to say, but at 6'2 and 375 it works well for me. I cannot say enough about his speed and craftsmanship his hammocks are simply great! As for tarp it's really hard to beat the Superfly for price. But with the amount of rain you said you might want to go cuben and there's one for sale now in the for sale section. Hammock gear is the leader there for a reason. As far as underquilt go while you don't need much and I understand your stance on being vegan try a shamu from molly mac gear. Been using mine in the house for over 2 yrs now consistently and works like a charm! It's lite weight good to about 45 full length and is priced right! Otherwise Paul at arrowhead can get u a one season jarbridge and those are priced about the same. Either way great quality. If it were Me I'd go this route for speed and price and comfort. A dl trail lair from sld, a Superfly from warbonnet (check promotions page for blemish returned deals for even faster service) and a shamu (or baby orca his 3/4 length ) from molly mac gear. I would say you'd have all in about two weeks and bam your set go hang and enjoy the tropics
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    I'll also add that I'd go with a double layer just because of those times when you don't use a uq then it's a little harder for them biting insects to get you! Lol
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast