Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by raggydoo View Post
    Your two week shipping timeframe will probably eliminate at least one maybe two of your choices, might want to check with the individual vendors on shipping times.
    WB and DH freebird have ~1 week lead time, and SLD and Dutch have less I'm pretty sure. I would appreciate your opinion.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Winter Dream 13'
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 quilts
    Suspension
    Tree strap/Buckles
    You can allways call them and find out what they have on hand.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    Just my .02 from Florida...why not a Bridge? I do quite a bit of hot weather hanging and love my bridge (Warbonnet Ridgerunner). When/if it gets cold I have the double layer and I just cram whatever pad is handy in the sleeve. Only slept down into the low 40s that way but was very comfortable.

Just the double layer with a fleece blanket scrap stuffed in the sleeve is comfortable to me in the 70s and up. When it's warmer I could certainly leave out the fleece.

The bugnet unzips all the way down to the foot end so you can roll it totally out of the way when you don't want it. Unlike my gathered end you can see straight out both sides because of the flat lay and it catches the breeze nicely for the same reasons.

Couple this with a Superfly then you can set it high for "porch mode" when the weather's nice and have a big shady spot. Drop the sides and close things down tight for bad weather and be snug and dry.

I'm sure if you get in touch with brandon he can have them to your door in well under 2 weeks.

Good luck.....

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    Quote Originally Posted by comfyHanger View Post
    comfort between your dutch's and sparrows? how that might translate to a dutch vs a freebird? what widths are your sparrows as well?
    all are 11 foot. on the sparrows, they are as wide as could be. i don't think they are the 72s, but a notch under that. actually i think they and the dutchys are the same in dimensions. if not, it's close.

i don't know about the freebird.

i got the dream hammocks doubled and with zip nets for a more tricked out ride.

i favor a single layer, all things considered. it's best for warmth from the down in my experience. but all those mentioned in my post are great hammocks. comfort is basically equal among them, and by that i mean as comfortable as i've ever been in a backpacking hammock.

for a quick trip with little time to prepare, it's always gonna be a dutch 11. all other times will usually be the dutches. when i take the GF i'll take the DH's and flash a bit of color and contrast with the differing layers. the integrated nets are a plus for her, too.

sv-

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    regarding production time......

they outta call dutch "lightening". he's fast.

Quote Originally Posted by zukiguy View Post
    Just my .02 from Florida...why not a Bridge?
    I feel there is a magic to the gathered end and the bridge is more like a bed. But I have not tried a bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by sidvicious View Post
    all are 11 foot. on the sparrows, they are as wide as could be. i don't think they are the 72s, but a notch under that. actually i think they and the dutchys are the same in dimensions. if not, it's close.
    Dutch's are 58" wide.

Hammock
    Trail Lair || Brazilian
    Tarp
    CF w/ doors
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Simply Light Designs ships lightning fast and has a "new hanger's package" that will give you a complete hammock setup, including suspension. 62-65 inches is plenty wide, don't need the 72".

Then you need to add the tarp. If looking for cuben fiber try a tarp with doors from Hammock Gear or Zpacks (about 7 ounces). If looking for silnylon with doors, try a Superfly from Warbonnet, or a Bullfrog from Wilderness Logics (about 20 ounces).

Finally the UQ. I would forgo the synthetic and instead get water-resistant down (less weight, less bulk). If you want the synthetic, try a Jarbidge from Arrowhead-Equipment. If you go for the down, try a 3/4-length or 7/8-length 40° Zepellin from UGQ.

By the way, you'll mostly encounter temperatures 80 degrees and above in Jamaica. I haven't been there but have been in nearby Dominican Republic, Curacao, and Aruba, and they were scorchers.
    Last edited by Gravity; 01-15-2016 at 15:48.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    Quote Originally Posted by comfyHanger View Post
    Dutch's are 58" wide.
    ah. ok. well, it's wide enough for me. the lay is groovus.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravity View Post
    Simply Light Designs ships lightning fast and has a "new hanger's package" that will give you a complete hammock setup, including suspension. 62-65 inches is plenty wide, don't need the 72".

Then you need to add the tarp. If looking for cuben fiber try a tarp with doors from Hammock Gear or Zpacks (about 8 ounces). If looking for silnylon with doors, try a Superfly from Warbonnet, or a Bullfrog from Wilderness Logics (about 20 ounces).

Finally the UQ. I would forgo the synthetic and instead get water-resistant down (less weight, less bulk). If you want the synthetic, try a Jarbidge from Arrowhead-Equipment. If you go for the down, try a 3/4-length or 7/8-length 40° Zepellin from UGQ.

By the way, you'll mostly encounter temperatures 80 degrees and above in Jamaica. I haven't been there but have been in nearby Dominican Republic, Curacao, and Aruba, and they were scorchers.
    Cuben fiber vs silnylon? What do you recommend?

I'm trying for a synthetic quilt because I'm vegan, but also might a synthetic be more resistant to the precipitation? bulk and weight are not my biggest factors because I plan to station.

Yes temps are in the 80s and can get as low as 65, how do you think that impacts my decision, I still feel like an UQ is necessary.

And is the extra width really unnecessary if I tie it out, might it allow me to lie wider? or does it just make me get the comfy lie easier or does it do nothing really?

What do you think of the warbonnet footbox compared to these?

You seem to favor the SLD?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast