Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Desperate Hammock Recommendation

I want to buy the most comfortable hammock I can and don't have the time to try them, I'm considering a Simply Light Designs, dutchware hexon, blackbird xlc or DH freebird.

I'm leaning towards the simply light designs because I can get it 72" fabric width (hyperD XL) and has an integrated bugnet, but I plan on keeping my hammock stationed so does the integrated bugnet not really matter that much? how does it compare with a fronkey style bugnet? Might 72" fabric width be advantageous, if so get a simply light designs or a DH freebird fabric material considered for comfort? if you think that width is too much, what do you think is the most comfortable of the slimmer options?

I'm sick of researching and want to buy something and use it in the tropics and I can't just order new gear as time goes on because I think shipping to the tropics might be prohibitive, I would like a recommendation for the most comfortable fabric as well depending which hammock selection (eg. with Dutch get hexon/argon/polyD/nylonD, what about hyperD XL? etc.), I would also like a recommendation for a synthetic UQ, I have no budget I want the best of the best, and a large flexible tarp because I think battening down the hatches is probably a good idea in Port Antonio, Jamaica where the rain is 120 inches/year, temp lowest 65F and avg wind speed 7.5 mph, mosquitoes. whoopie slings? please give every recommendation so I can check out, to be shipped immediately ideally, no later than ~2 weeks to arrive. I'm 5' 11.25" (181cm), 155lbs, sleep on back, rarely side.

I could even potentially buy 2 hammocks.

I REALLY appreciate it.
    Last edited by comfyHanger; 01-14-2016 at 19:07.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    dutch 11 foot netless. i have three in single layer. a nylon, a poly, and that funky stuff he has; can't remember what it is.

all three are great.

dream hammock sparrow with net/cover. i have 2 of these in double layer. both are very comfortable and easy to handle.

i occasionally take my GF and/or kids and a few close friends. i have to outfit them completely and they use one of the above, as do i.

these are my go-to rides. i'm 6'1" and 185.

highly recommended.
    Last edited by sidvicious; 01-14-2016 at 19:14.

Night time in the tropics? Pretty sure I'd want an integrated net. Maybe not so much during the day, so maybe a retractable net if it's to be used for lounging and you opt for a single hammock.

Can't see going wide. You just don't sound big enough and I think you'd end up with a lot of floppy fabric unless you're always going to tie it out.

Sounds like a tarp with doors is in order.

AHE may be your go-to for a synthetic UQ. That's the vendor that come to mind first.

Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Night time in the tropics? Pretty sure I'd want an integrated net.
    Why? And what do you mean by "single hammock"?

Quote Originally Posted by sidvicious View Post
    dutch 11 foot netless. i have three in single layer. a nylon, a poly, and that funky stuff he has; can't remember what it is.

all three are great.

dream hammock sparrow with net/cover. i have 2 of these in double layer. both are very comfortable and easy to handle.

i occasionally take my GF and/or kids and a few close friends. i have to outfit them completely and they use one of the above, as do i.

these are my go-to rides. i'm 6'1" and 185.

highly recommended.
    comfort between your dutch's and sparrows? how that might translate to a dutch vs a freebird? what widths are your sparrows as well?

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    This is like saying what is the most comfortable mattress. Ask 100 people get 100 different answers. In the end only you can decide what is comfortable to you.

Personally I prefer a wider hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Winter Dream 13'
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 quilts
    Suspension
    Tree strap/Buckles
    If going to a tropical area you definitely want bug net. I would recommend a removable bug net. Whoopies or straps is more of a preference I think. I would go with the warbonnet

Quote Originally Posted by Daywalker View Post
    If going to a tropical area you definitely want bug net. I would recommend a removable bug net. Whoopies or straps is more of a preference I think. I would go with the warbonnet
    Why would you go with a removable bug net?

Hammock
    Streamliner
    Tarp
    HG Hex
    Insulation
    LL,UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hook
    Your two week shipping timeframe will probably eliminate at least one maybe two of your choices, might want to check with the individual vendors on shipping times.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Winter Dream 13'
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 quilts
    Suspension
    Tree strap/Buckles
    The convenience of it some times you will not need it. I lived in Mexico and during the day it was just easier to be in and out the hammock. I would use a bug net more over the night.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast