Dutchware 11ft Hex1.0
    Tarp
    HG CF Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    whoopie hooks

banana lay

Hey guys, I have been sleeping in my hammock inside to try and get acclimated to it before my trip this weekend. I keep finding myself waking up after two hours or so right in the middle and laying like a banana. Any sugestions on how to avoid this? I am 6'1" 200 using a Dutch hex 1.0

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    i have several dutch 11 hammocks. love them.

do you use a ridge line?

are you going diagonal? [head left, feet right, or vice versa].

i'm 6'1" and 185, so we're the same size, basically. i'm not sure how you're ending up in the middle, if you're using a ridgeline and hanging it where the ridgeline is taught when you're in it.

can you give some details?

sv

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    It sounds like you may have the hammock too tight. If it isn't strung with much sack, you'll scoot towards the middle once you fall asleep and stop fighting to stay on the diagonal. Height and weight most likely aren't the bulk of the issue as sag is.

If you don't have a ridgeline on it, you may want to consider trying one; alternatively, make sure you have a 30* angle on the suspension. that'll give a good amount of sag to keep you on a diagonal.

If you do have a ridgeline, it tight? loose? It should be tight enough that you can tweak it 90* with your fingers, but not piano wire tight.
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft Hex1.0
    Tarp
    HG CF Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    whoopie hooks
    Yes I use a ridgeline, the fixed one that dutch gives as an option. I have been laying head left feet right. I have had an inkling that I am not quite in the right spot. However my head is right on the side of the hammock and my feet right at the first cord lock on the knotty mod. (the one closer to your head) NOt sure if my butt should be right in the middle or more towards the head or foot end? Thanks in advance for all the help.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft Hex1.0
    Tarp
    HG CF Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    whoopie hooks
    the ridgeline seems to be pretty tight. I have not tried to pull it 90 degrees but have noticed how tight it is. I will double check the suspension angle tonight.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    Quote Originally Posted by wjumoose View Post
    the ridgeline seems to be pretty tight. I have not tried to pull it 90 degrees but have noticed how tight it is. I will double check the suspension angle tonight.
    i also use the stock ridge lines with the dutch hammocks. they are quite easy to get the lay correctly. from what you've described it sounds like you're mounting it correctly with the head and feet.

hammocking DOES take some acclimating. start out butt center, and then go from there into a diagonal. you might have to shift up or down some, but probably not much.

also, it helps to have your foot end suspended a bit higher than the head end; 6 inches or so. some folks go a foot.

are you rolling onto your side during sleep? this may account for moving around.

edit: i should have asked; are you new to hammocking? i presumed so, but i should ask....

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft Hex1.0
    Tarp
    HG CF Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    whoopie hooks
    I do sleep on my side in bed. I started out flat but moved to my side after waking up in the middle. My feet are a few inched higher, not quite 6. I am new. Being new I expected some time needed to acclimate myself which is why I strung up in the house to get some nights in it now before heading out this weekend. I just didnt expect to find myself in the center like that.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    Quote Originally Posted by wjumoose View Post
    I do sleep on my side in bed. I started out flat but moved to my side after waking up in the middle. My feet are a few inched higher, not quite 6. I am new. Being new I expected some time needed to acclimate myself which is why I strung up in the house to get some nights in it now before heading out this weekend. I just didnt expect to find myself in the center like that.
    you'll get it. actually 2 hours of sleep in any device is pretty good, all things considered, but i get where you're coming from.

also; you did right on your hammock choice. hammocks are personal for sure, but some things are fairly standard. with your size/proportions the model you chose should do just fine.

now to the specifics. you're going through the usual motions of someone new to the sport. you'll get it. and you may wake in the middle from time to time, but as confidence builds you may learn to account for that while sleeping.

i'm a light sleeper, so a solid 2 hours would be a big deal for me, personally. also, if you'll be backpacking prior to hitting the hammock, that'll be a factor as well; hopefully contributing to less movement once asleep.

all i can really say though, is stay with it; it'll settle.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft Hex1.0
    Tarp
    HG CF Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    whoopie hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by sidvicious View Post
    all i can really say though, is stay with it; it'll settle.
    I intend to! thanks for all the help.

Hammock
    Netty, DW Nylon D,
    Tarp
    Camo Superfly
    Insulation
    G.Pepper 0 Inc 20
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopies
    This is THE best instructional video I have found on hang angles and ridgelines, it's what got me over the learning curve's hump. Thank you Dream Hammock!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFeK...WheNaA&index=5

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast