Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Looking for generalized advice on winter camping in the Southeast (NC)

As it appears Winter is finally here, I would like to try my hand at winter hiking + camping (Overnight). There's some upcoming hangs, but I want to make sure I'm prepared before I venture forth. I'm asking for some general gear advice or links to well written and comprehensive articles that you as an experienced community have found helpful. I'm not asking for specific pieces of gear, however I will welcome your recommendations if you feel they are warranted.

My goal it to be able to hike and camp in the ~20 degree range, with lows down to 0 degrees. Preferably overnight when I'm in my hammock!

I currently don't have any boots. I don't know if I should go with removable liners _or_ vapor barriers.

--- current gear ---

Warbonnet Ridgerunner Hammock
    Warbonnet Cloudburst Tarp
    Warbonnet 20degree Lynx underquilt
    Hammockgear Burrow 20degree topquilt w/ sewn footbox

Smartwool 200 leggings baselayer
    Smartwool 250 top baselayer

REI Co-Op Down Jacket (650-fill)
    Marmot PreClip rain jacket

Prana Zion convertable pants

Smartwool Balaclava or Wool Hat w/ ear covers (depends on conditions)

Wool socks (varying degrees of thickness - will happily upgrade when purchasing boots)

Outdoor research EXIT SENSOR GLOVES

--- planned gear ---

Warbonnet Spindrift hammock sock (+15 degrees)

Boots - need help here.

I know I'm lacking some stuff... I just don't know what.

Do I need fleece lined pants or are a baselayer and prana hiking pants enough?

Is my Down REI jacket good enough w/ a 250 wool baselayer?

I do have the ability to head over to Eno River state park and give my setup a go year round in relative safety, so I'll be doing my own testing, but would really like to know what you're wearing when you do things like the Roan Shelter hang, etc, in the ~0-25 degree range.

Hopefully this was the right place to ask!

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Best advice I can give you is to review Shug's videos on You Tube. He has a number of them specific to very cold winter camping that you might find useful. THIS is a link to one of them where temps were -40F. While it might be over kill for NC winters it is a place for good data.

Another piece of advice is don't field test your set up any place you can not quickly get out of. A cold night in the middle of no place because your gear was not what you expected is not a bunch of fun.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Here's where I first went to research:
    http://wintertrekking.com/
    Also, do a backyard hang or a close by car camping hang to try things out so bail out is not far away.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'll offer this up. Get long johns and layer stuff. Good boots, hats, gloces are important.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dream Freebird 11.5'
    Tarp
    12' DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    strap + mule tape
    Images
    I have heard about people putting boiling water into a nalgene (or hot water) bottle and taking it to bed with them. You put it between your legs where it will give up heat to your femoral artery and warm you up from the inside. I have never tried it, but it is an old trick that a lot of people swear by. I would never want to rely on this or use it as standard procedure, as I don't like the idea of having water in the bed with me. But if it is 3 in the morning and you are freezing, it is worth remembering.

Other tips are to go to bed warm (don't rely on the quilts to warm you up). 20 jumping jacks will do it. Also, eat something with some fat in it before bed (cheese, etc) . Your metabolism will help to warm you.

And don't forget your toboggan!
    Last edited by BanjoPicker; 01-05-2016 at 16:55.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Warbonnet Spindrift hammock sock (+15 degrees)
    That is more than you will probably get. To find out the true difference is to have a thermometer in side and one outside ( or a remote sensor ) and check the temp difference to see what you end up with. When using my ENVY S with a top cover ( not the same as a sock ) I find that it is about 4 to 5 degrees warmer in the hammock than just outside under the tarp and another thermometer about 50 feet away had a reading about 5 degrees colder than the reading under the tarp. I have done this several times with similar variation in the temps.

When I have used my sock with my BB I usually got between 5 and 10 degrees difference in side the sock and the outside.

(or hot water) bottle
    you can also try some handwarmers
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPicker View Post
    And don't forget your toboggan!
    Know how I know you're from NC?
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    Dutchwear Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah12
    Insulation
    HGIncub20UQ MH20TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I don't have a place to hang outside at home, so I test gear at a friends house or do some car camping.

As mentioned above, testing this way gives you the ability to get warm if you don't have the right gear for the conditions. But, it also allows you to have a bunch of extra stuff so you can see what works without having to pack it up and call it quits. I've spent a few nights going to the car to get stuff and that's the price I paid to make sure I'm comfy on a hike trip. You can easily have stuff such as pads and extra or heavier layers available if you need it without having to pack it in.

You should really have top and under protection rated better than the expected temperatures, but with a safe place to go, you can push the limits with a little more safety. Starting minimalist and having the extra stuff to build up is a good way to figure out what you need and are willing to carry without sacrificing safety.

Get in your hammock with dry long-johns or thermal base layers. My cheap Champion base pants from Target and Under Armour heat gear top work really well and I don't put them on until close to bed time and I know I won't be working up a sweat. I also wear a balaclava when it's cold. Being breathable helps keep you warm. Keep adding layers until you are warm.

Blocking the wind is also very important.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/ UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Lots of great advice...
    I am an avid winter camper and do lots of it.
    We teach the Scouts that it is always easier to stay warm than to get warm.
    Loose clothing in layers.
    Gloves
    Hats
    Warm beverages before you go to bed
    Take a candy bar to bed with you... if you wake up with some shivers.. eat it.. it will stoke the internal furness.
    Stay Dry
    Stay out of low ground
    Change your socks often, especially before getting in the hammock for the night
    Jerry
    "I too have kept the Vigil"
    “Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.”
    ― John Wayne
    www.thescoutmasterminute.net
    http://www.youtube.com/user/scoutmasterjerry

Since you specifically asked about vapor barriers.... I suggest you avoid them in the beginning and stick to breathable materials. It's a suggestion and opinion which many will agree while others disagree with I'm sure. But waking up in a puddle you didn't expect does not keep you warm.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast