Warbonnet Blackbird, DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Trekking poles for use with hammock

I’m hoping to buy my first trekking poles soon and was just wondering if I should look for any particular features to make them usable for porch mode? Does anyone have any specific model recommendations on those? Also, it seems like I saw someone using their trekking pole as a spreader bar between two hammocks. If so, how does that work? Do they need any special modifications, parts or weight ratings?

Hammock
    1.7SL WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20° TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Hooks
    I can't speak to the spreader bar information, but no particular features are needed for porch mode. Just stick the tip into the ground, wrap the guyline around the handle a couple times, and stake down the loose end. You can do the same thing with any long stick you find in the woods.

Technically, the greater the max adjustable length of the pole, the higher you can set your porch. But that's never been a concern or issue with any poles I've used.

PS: I used to live in G.R.! Grew up in Hastings, and lived for a few years off of M-37 and 60th.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird, DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks ufdigga. I was thinking that was the case with the poles, but just wanted to make sure.

Very cool that you used to live here. I technically live in Jenison, to the west of G-rap. I'll bet you have a lot more opportunities to hike in Colorado than here. I'm thankful we have so many parks here but it is hard to find many hikes with any sort of significant incline to them. I'd love to get to Colorado someday. I've been fortunate to have travelled quite a bit but have never gotten quite that far west. I'm sure it's lovely.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    any trekker should do for porch mode. sometimes i have the handle on the ground, and sometimes its the business end. just depends.

sv

I purchased the Mountainsmith FX 7075's based on a recommendation that I read here. They fit my budget (~$22/ea at Amazon, just watch the price) and they convert into a monopod for a camera when you screw off the piece of foam on top. I an avid photographer and also want to get some video on my trips, so that was a nice selling feature for me.

I've used them on one backpacking trip and several hikes and have no complaint about their use as trekking poles.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images
    Sweat-soaked cork grips can be attractive to critters seeking salt. Just a thought regarding hiking poles. Tips Up is for fishing, down if porch mode. Maybe no critters where you hang though.

Hammock
    1.7SL WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20° TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Spiders/Hooks
    I will throw out there for consideration. After going through several pairs of poles, I greatly prefer the flick-lock style (external locking tab) to the twist-to-lock style. IMHO, they are more reliable and more durable.

Hammock
    HH Safari Deluxe
    Tarp
    Etowah, UST Hex
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ufdigga View Post
    I will throw out there for consideration. After going through several pairs of poles, I greatly prefer the flick-lock style (external locking tab) to the twist-to-lock style. IMHO, they are more reliable and more durable.
    Id second the clasp lock over the twist lock less finicky for sure.

Hammock
    Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Equip
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    After dealing with adjustable poles where the locking mechanism ultimately failed (for me anyway), and always at the worst possible time, I switched to Z-Poles. Picked up a set of carbon Zpoles from Black Diamond and havent looked back since. At 515 grams for a 4 season poles they are hard to beat. I attach my guy lines to my tarp with loop I larks head to the d-ring. I stick the tip of the trekking pole through the remaining loop to set my tarp into porch mode. Works for me.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do." -Bob Dylan

My YouTube Channel

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Winter Dream 13'
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 quilts
    Suspension
    Tree strap/Buckles
    The spreader bar is from Dutchware. It's a simple mode that doesn't need but a couple of parts

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast