Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hanging with a baby

My first little one will be 14 months old before the snow melts and my backpacking buddy has agreed to take on more of the load so that I can bring her along. I'm curious if anyone knows what age it would be safe to have her sleep in a hammock. I've got a rough idea of how I'd make her setup (small hammock, peapod style bag, sharing a bugnet/tarp), but the safety issue has me concerned.

I'd hate to go to ground, but if it's between that and her not getting to get out with us, that'll be the way I end up going.

Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY - SilPoly 2.0
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield 5
    Suspension
    UCR
    Images
    At thay age I would consider keeping her in your hammock. All 4 of my kids have slept in our bed at a young age although we weren't hammock camping at the time. It was easy and convenient for midnight feeding.
    Beyond that I would build a smaller hammock with an attached bug net and hang it above you.
    Just reread your post, until it gets warm out I would definitely keep her in your hammock. Colder (below 50ish) temps could be problematic for her to maintain temperature at that age.

I agree have her sleep with you.

The reason is you have no other way to make sure everything is ok. I know when I took my little ones camping I spent the whole night worrying if they were warm enough.

Images
    My concern would not be the sleeping arangement but the exposure to all that cold air. Until they can talk and tell you how they are feeling you are taking a big risk.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Egad, excuse me, I would never let a young human, Hang one their own. Very dangerous.
    All sorts of things could happen, people have been known to hang, as in by their neck until they are dead. Remember, when there was a lot published about kids strangling with slat blind cords? Cords from hoods getting caught and injuring little kids? My friend was a mountain climber, he somehow became tangled up in his hammock while rigging it, he was found hung.

Add the problem of little folks getting up and exploring, really easy to lose them, they can disappear in a heart beat and they are the devil to find (if you are lucky).

My kids all went camping from a very young age, I kept them tethered when I did not have a hold on them. My kids slept in my bed when they were young, they managed to grow up into independent adults.

FYI be sure your hammock is washable.

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle hammock
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon guide
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    whoopie sling

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle hammock
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon guide
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    My girls have camped in a hammock as early as 2 years. Fully enclosed with me close by in my hammock

Thanks for the responses!

Quote Originally Posted by IRONFISH45 View Post
    Egad, excuse me, I would never let a young human, Hang one their own. Very dangerous.
    That's the reason for the question. There has to be an age/developmental level where it no longer is dangerous to hang (or, at least, the risk drops significantly), that's what I'm trying to reason out.

Do any folks have experience with sleeping overnight with a young child in their own hammock? Somehow I didn't even consider that possibility, even though she coslept with us for the first couple months of life.

Insulation
    Costco Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by celsmore View Post
    Thanks for the responses!

That's the reason for the question. There has to be an age/developmental level where it no longer is dangerous to hang (or, at least, the risk drops significantly), that's what I'm trying to reason out.

Do any folks have experience with sleeping overnight with a young child in their own hammock? Somehow I didn't even consider that possibility, even though she coslept with us for the first couple months of life.
    I don't think I would do it...I know when I sleep with my phone in there it can end up under me all too easily. At least in a bed you aren't as likely to smother them. I would go with a dedicated hammock, possibly hung from your ridgeline. Use the Snowball mod to make the hammock flat for the little tyke and share the warmth of your hammock. Waterproofing between you is recommended...

Hammock
    Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Equip
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Just some first hand experience from camping with young kids (young enough to wear diapers)...Diapers leak sometimes, keep that in mind when planning for sleeping insulation. Even if they dont leak, wearing a wet diaper for a few hours while you sleep would be like you wearing some cotton briefs, then jumping in a lake, then your sleeping bag and expecting to stay warm. I started backpacking with my son when he was 2 1/2 years old (still in diapers/pullups) and it was a challenge for both of us to get a comfortable night...I couldnt imagine trying to backpack with a 14 months old. Id personally stick with car camping, at least if she isnt having a good night its easy to bail. Remember, camping/backpacking with kids is about their fun, not yours. For whats its worth, it wasnt until my daughter was 8 did she express she wanted her own hammock to sleep in. My 4 1/2 year old son still wants to sleep in a tent, although he has slept WITH me in my hammock when he was younger with no problems. When my son usually slept on my chest in my hammock with me. Make sure your quilt/sleeping bag will still be large enough to cover you both with extra person in there.
    Last edited by njsurfer; 01-19-2016 at 16:35.
    "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do." -Bob Dylan

My YouTube Channel

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast