Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0 degree TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/straps

XLC Top-cover- Any ideas on how you would modify it for custom ventilation?

Hey there everyone-

I own the WBBB XLC w/top cover and, after reading the pros and cons on using the top cover, I was curious to any ideas on custom mods that may be lurking in your heads that would do away with the condensation issues involved with it..

I thought of modifying it to have custom vent panels added, but I am leery of cutting on it...

Fire off some ideas if you have any..

Ozipit

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Had the same ideas when I owned one, even contacted Donna at 2qzq about handling the mods and she gracefully refused, stating it might compromise the integrity of the hammock.

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0 degree TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/straps
    Quote Originally Posted by barchetta View Post
    Had the same ideas when I owned one, even contacted Donna at 2qzq about handling the mods and she gracefully refused, stating it might compromise the integrity of the hammock.
    After looking at mine, I would beg to differ... Just add a panel of nano-see-Um to the vent area and that should hold it all in shape maybe? The top cover doesn't have any load on the fabric as far as I can tell..

Ozi

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozipit View Post
    After looking at mine, I would beg to differ... Just add a panel of nano-no-see-Um to the vent area and that should hold it all in shape maybe? The top cover doesn't have any load on the fabric as far as I can tell..

Ozi
    I didn't think it would make a different either and really wasn't sure why she wouldn't take care of it either. Anyways, I'm not talented enough to take care of it myself with a sewing machine. Ended up not liking the lay of the hammock and went ridge runner in the end so I guess it doesn't make a difference

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    The top cover may be loaded depending on who is using it.

When I zip mine up, for sure it tightens the area around my shoulders and the fabric up top is tight. Add to this any extra weight you might throw in the shelf.

Having said that, the netting used for the top seems to be strong enough to handle any of the load so I'd think you'd be fine.

I do know that WBO has modified some top covers at the request of customers. There is a custom work up charge.

If I'm worried about venting, I leave the side unzipped half way. Helps some but it really depends on the conditions. If the conditions favor heavy condensation, well it's gonna be there. Just this last outing, everything was covered in frost before going to bed and everything was covered when I woke up. Just unzipping the top cover and flipping it over the ridge line left the ridge line covered with a thick layer of frost.

Only went down to 20 that night and was much more mild by mid morning. Hung everything out to dry, no worries.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    I've wanted a vented top cover as well. I figured a couple zippered arcs on either side of the ridgeline at head height with bug mesh sewn on the outside and tie backs to keep the doors off my face. I also imagined a frost bib with attachments point near the pull outs on either side of the hammock segregating the dry space toward the foot end from the vented breath space.

I also asked Donna if she'd be interested in the work, she politely refused. I'm going to have to learn to operate a sewing machine.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG / EE
    Vented panels could be interesting. I have good luck just keeping it partially unzipped. If it's not too windy, i'll leave it about 1/3 unzipped. If it's very windy, I'll unzip it only a few inches. Generally, the more wind, the less condensation is an issue.

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0 degree TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Icks View Post
    Vented panels could be interesting. I have good luck just keeping it partially unzipped. If it's not too windy, i'll leave it about 1/3 unzipped. If it's very windy, I'll unzip it only a few inches. Generally, the more wind, the less condensation is an issue.

Thanks everyone for the input.

I figure a vented area at the top most part of the cover working with a vent panel at the lowest point in the cover will give it convection venting.. Control the vents top and bottom with panels and velcro that act like doors.

Maybe install the lower vent panel on the "shelf" of the hammock itself? All panels would have nano bug netting to keep structural integrity and bordered with a strip of heavier fabric to attach the velcro to..

Just brainstorming here

Ozi

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Cuben W/Doors
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    stock straps
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatBigDave View Post
    I've wanted a vented top cover as well. I figured a couple zippered arcs on either side of the ridgeline at head height with bug mesh sewn on the outside and tie backs to keep the doors off my face. I also imagined a frost bib with attachments point near the pull outs on either side of the hammock segregating the dry space toward the foot end from the vented breath space.

I also asked Donna if she'd be interested in the work, she politely refused. I'm going to have to learn to operate a sewing machine.
    This is pretty much what I was thinking. Maybe just a two way zippered arc or two seperate zippers that terminate near the ridge. I figured a small biner/lash to the ridge would hold the door out of the way or let it hang down and just your head is exposed and the door works like a wind break.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    You could sew a zipper on either side of a mesh strip and then just zip that to the hammock and the other side to the over cover. Sort of an extension that creates a mesh strip along the edge of the hammock. No changes to the hammock or cover needed, just an additional piece that could be zipped in when wanted.
    Have sherpas, will travel...
    Triangles, it's all about the triangles.
    H30º ™
    HTA

8.7167º

• + New Posts