Hammock
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington3
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Whoopie hooks on the adjustable eye of whoopie slings?

I just got a beautiful 11' hammock from Dutch a few weeks ago, and have been using it indoors since it arrived. Today I had a bit of time and thought I'd try hanging in the woods. (Brrr, it was cold.) When I was setting everything up, I was surprised to see that the whoopie hooks were on the adjustable eye of the whoopie sling rather than the fixed eye. This may be how they are supposed to be, but I thought they would be the other way around. Maybe I'm not understanding how they are supposed to be used. Am I wrong on the workflow below?

- Whoopie hook attaches to the continuous loop on the hammock
    - Other end of the whoopie sling attaches to tree strap

The problem with the hook on the adjustable eye is that the fixed eye is awfully tight getting it around the toggle of a MSH. (And yes, I know that Dutch has more bling that makes the MSH unnecessary.) Is this how the whoopie hooks were designed to be, or did I get a mixed up set? Thanks for any feedback you can give me!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    In my opinion, the Whoopie Hooks should be on the adjustable loop. That's how they're sold, to replace the whoopie bead. The Whoopie Hook allows you to do away with the Marlin Spike Hitch entirely - you just connect the fixed eye of the Whoopie Sling directly to the end of the strap. There is no other hardware required (though in the video below, Dutch does show a titanium Dutch clip being used; I don't have one and use the Whoopie Sling without the Dutch clip, shown on the right).

http://www.dutchwaregear.com/whoopie...pie-sling.html

For some people, they think it makes sense to put the Whoopie Hook on the continuous loop that runs through the hammock channel. However, that doesn't make much sense to me because I'd end up with Whoopie Hooks on every hammock, rather than on one suspension that can be used for multiple hammocks (though I suppose you could remove the continuous loop from the hammock and re-use it and the whoopie hook on another hammock, it just sounds like a drag and a hassle).
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington3
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Ah, that makes more sense now. So the fixed eye is attached to the end loop of the tree hugger with a lark's head, and the whoopie hook attaches to the continuous loop. That's so simple! I don't know why I didn't see it at the time. It's a simple and elegant solution. And I like the idea of a single suspension for multiple hammocks. As long as the hammock has an Amstel blue continuous loop the suspension will work. Beautiful!

Thanks for the help SilvrSurfr. I always appreciate reading your answers in the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by splme View Post
    Ah, that makes more sense now. So the fixed eye is attached to the end loop of the tree hugger with a lark's head, and the whoopie hook attaches to the continuous loop. That's so simple! I don't know why I didn't see it at the time. It's a simple and elegant solution. And I like the idea of a single suspension for multiple hammocks. As long as the hammock has an Amstel blue continuous loop the suspension will work. Beautiful!

Thanks for the help SilvrSurfr. I always appreciate reading your answers in the forums.
    That's how it works with a hugger, i.e. a strap with sewn loops on each end.

If it's a strap with one sewn loop, that's where MSHs are typically seen and a number of folks would put the adjustable loop over it. That set-up wouldn't use a WH. Another option that the fixed loop does fit over would be Dutch's new Spider (instead of a MSH.)

One other way to use a strap with a single loop and still use the WH on the adjustable loop to connect to the CL would be to larkshead the WS to the strap and secure the non-loop end around the tree with an Adutchable or a timber hitch.

(I hope this wasn't confusing)
    Last edited by TominMN; 01-10-2016 at 00:55.

Hammock
    DIY
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington3
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for the reply TominMN! I'd never heard of the Adutchable clips before; I guess I should 't be surprised that Dutch has so many elegant solutions up his sleeve. I appreciate you taking the time to explain some other options for using the WH. (Nice to understand more than one way to use the gear I have.) Cheers!

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Whoopie hook on the adjustable end also means that the hook is not wearing on the same place every time. It rides a bit differently each time you set up. So, whoopies should get less wear.

• + New Posts