Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ENO fastfly syle or Kelty Noah's 9 tarp?

So here is the question. What should I get? HARR the ENO is only 1oz but has only 4 points. The kelty 9 is 1lb 8oz but has a huge number of points and is less expensive. I am half tempted to get the ENO and add more points. I would actually like something even lighter but can't seem to find anything in the same size range for $150 or less. I kind of refuse to pay $200+ for a tarp.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GordyTheCook View Post
    So here is the question. What should I get? HARR the ENO is only 1oz but has only 4 points. The kelty 9 is 1lb 8oz but has a huge number of points and is less expensive. I am half tempted to get the ENO and add more points. I would actually like something even lighter but can't seem to find anything in the same size range for $150 or less. I kind of refuse to pay $200+ for a tarp.
    Is this some kind of Amazon or REI question? I don't understand what you mean about points. There are plenty of great tarps you can get for less than $150, but you have to buy them from cottage vendors. Both the ENO Fast Fly (a 22 oz., tarp) and the Kelty 9 are beginner tarps that are basically fair-weather tarps.

Take a look at the Warbonnet Superfly - it's probably the most popular tarp on HF, with the best coverage you can get for a 4-season tarp with doors. It's silnylon, weighs, 19 oz., and costs $140.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Attachment points?

Ok, sorry. 4am phone typing is not a good thing. I am looking at dimond shaped tarps and these are the two most common I have seen. Dose anyone have any advice on finding something lighter? Less then 1lb? Do you think there is much advantage to having a lot of tie down points, especially if you pay for in weight? I'm not looking to spend more then $150 and suggestions or recommendations would be great.

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Gordy are you stuck on the diamond shape? I just bought a Warbinnet Outdoor Edge tarp. Small footprint but good coverage. Less than a pound and under $150
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GordyTheCook View Post
    Ok, sorry. 4am phone typing is not a good thing. I am looking at dimond shaped tarps and these are the two most common I have seen. Dose anyone have any advice on finding something lighter? Less then 1lb? Do you think there is much advantage to having a lot of tie down points, especially if you pay for in weight? I'm not looking to spend more then $150 and suggestions or recommendations would be great.
    Most diamond tarps have just four corners, so two are staked out and two form the ridgeline as you hang it in a diamond configuration. I don't even see the advantage of more tie-down points, because they would be too far from the ground. I suppose you could utilize the other tie-downs with long guy lines, but it would probably be a mess.

The Kelty Noah 9 can only be hung in a diamond configuration (unless you have a really, really short hammock), and the ENO is designed to be hung in a diamond configuration as well. So I don't see the point in additional tie-downs.

One thing I don't like about diamond configuration tarps - a lot of wind gets under them and they don't provide much coverage. I'd much prefer having a 11 x 10 Warbonnet Superfly with doors for $140.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    You can get any tarp besides one made from cuben fiber for under $150, so I'm not really sure what your hold up is.

Look at Underground Quilts, Warbonnet, or Hennessy.

Why are you so hung up on a diamond shape?

I don't really know, a friend of mine shares by them, easy to set up I guess. The Kelly is cool because you have a lot of shelter options with it. I'm really looking for something good for backpacking trips and should focus on that. My goal this year is 20# full weight including pack befor food and water. We will see if I can pull it off.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    There's a reason that diamond tarps are harder to find now. They were very popular around 10 years ago before everyone discovered hex tarps.

Hex tarp has better coverage for the same weight, since it fills in the sides by your feet and head. Yes it has four tie outs, so it might take an extra 30 seconds to set up, and you have to carry 4 stakes. The weight of stakes can easily be offset buy picking up titanium stakes. I think I spent $13 on four ti stakes at ripstopbytheroll. They weighed less than the envelope they came in...

If you really want a diamond an asym tarp is the current light fairweather tarp. They have better coverage than a regular diamond, and only need two stakes. Hammock gear makes a 4oz one for $165.'it's the cheapest cubes fiber tarp you'll find:

http://www.hammockgear.com/cuben-fib...metrical-tarp/
    Last edited by Monkeyboy42; 01-09-2016 at 08:03.

Have you checked out www.simplylightdesigns.com ? He's got asym tarps, paragon tarps ( like the Kelty ) plus the popular hex and winter tarps. I've bought a number of items from Jared over the years and he does great work.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast