Dream Hammoock weather resistance

I have the Warbonnet Blackbird and love it, but I've read a lot of good things about the Dream Hammock and was considering buying one. I like the customization options. My question is about the optional outer cover. Does that negate the need for a tarp in wet weather? If not then what is the point of having an outer cover? Would a good tarp such as a Warbonnet Superfly not serve the same purpose?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    No, it will not negate the need for a tarp.

Overcovers theoretically keep in more heat (not letting the heat escape). However, you'll likely have condensation issues with an overcover. Personally, I haven't done much experimentation with overcovers. I haven't hit the temperatures where I feel they make sense. I've been down to -3* F and have used an overcover a couple of times, but I'm not yet sold on them.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 01-07-2016 at 22:32.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    Images
    The overcover will help to shield you from wind that may blow across your hammock. It also helps in heat retention.

So it's just a matter of added heat retention and not weatherproofing?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianSnat View Post
    So it's just a matter of added heat retention and not weatherproofing?
    It's not a tarp, and overcovers definitely don't replace tarps. You'll find the occasional experimentation with the concept of the "tarpless" hammock, but I can't think of any mainstream cottage vendor that makes one.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

In theory, one might say it's like zipping the windows shut on a 4 season tent. My guess is that, with the volume being quite a bit smaller, condensation can become a bigger issue in a hammock. Having an overcover partly open seems to be mandatory. The amount depends on conditions and the occupant.

The WBBBXLC has an optional overcover too. Again, not a substitute for a tarp.

While the overcover prevents a lot of the convective heat loss for the hammock occupant and the over quilt or sleeping bag, it does not help the many of us who use an underquilt, where wind can easily reduce a large amount of the effective insulating qualities of the UQ. So a wind barrier, to really be effective, has to protect both sides of the hammock while still providing enough air circulation to minimize condensation.
    I am sure there are many solutions out there to accomplish this. The only one I am aware of, is the Nube' Hammock Shelter with the Winter Barrier accessory attached.
    Last edited by Robert Shirley; 01-08-2016 at 09:06.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianSnat View Post
    I have the Warbonnet Blackbird and love it, but I've read a lot of good things about the Dream Hammock and was considering buying one. I like the customization options. My question is about the optional outer cover. Does that negate the need for a tarp in wet weather? If not then what is the point of having an outer cover? Would a good tarp such as a Warbonnet Superfly not serve the same purpose?
    It is not a tarp and not weatherproof. The main differences are:

• The overcover does nothing to protect the zippers (and depending on the DH model) the area under the zipper hoods where the zippers attach to removable covers, so even if it were made from waterproof fabric, the zippers would still leak like sieves.
    • The available fabrics are not waterproof, and for good reason. The overcover is designed to reduce convection but to be at least somewhat breathable so you don't end up with icicles hanging down over your head when you wake up (an exaggeration to be sure but condensation is still a pain). My Sparrow's overcover is 1.6 HyperD - uncoated and not at all waterproof.
    • The vent on some models - to address condensation issues, many Dreamhammocks have vented covers which would be kind of like window screens on a submarine.

The most common reason for people to have overcovers: a little extra protection in winter, privacy (so people can't see into the hammock in group settings), and as a convenient cover if you are hanging in one location for multiple days as a way to keep the pine needles and other stuff from falling or crawling into your hammock while you're away, especially if you sleep "topless" and don't deploy the bugnet.

Yes, in many ways a good tarp pitched low is even better than the overcover. But I'm very happy to have mine.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Thanks for the responses.

• + New Posts