Hexon 1.0/WBRR
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Incubator/Lynx
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Whoopie

Back and forth on first major purchase

Well, for about three days now I've been sitting here waiting to press the "order" button for my double-layer Warbonnet Ridgerunner and full-legth Winter Lynx. Finger on the mouse, just itching to click. I bought a ENO Doublenest a while ago, but have had a few issues with it. I sleep like a mummy, flat and straight as a board with my hands on my chest. The ENO fought with me about that. Watching my daily dose of Shug one morning, I stumbled across his Ridgerunner review and instantly knew that this was the messiah of hammocks, coming to save me from the nagging behind-the-knee pressure. So, I dash on over to the Warbonnet website, click on the Ridgerunner, and now I can't make up my dang mind. Which one do I need, the single layer or the double layer? I plan on using the Lynx, so does that make the double layer unnecessary? Also, which Lynx? 3-season, winter, full-legth, partial? It's northwestern Pa and temperatures reaching 0° F or below is not uncommon whatsoever. I'm leaning towards the double layer with straps and buckles, the full-length winter Lynx, and if it drops below 0° I'll add a pad in the sleeve. Then, when it gets later in the year and the underquilt gets too warm, just use the pad. Will this work for my area? Or can I get away with the single layer and using the winter Lynx all year and just venting it? Thanks for any help.
    Beans

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MeAndMyBeans View Post
    I'm leaning towards the double layer with straps and buckles, the full-length winter Lynx, and if it drops below 0° I'll add a pad in the sleeve. Then, when it gets later in the year and the underquilt gets too warm, just use the pad. Will this work for my area? Or can I get away with the single layer and using the winter Lynx all year and just venting it? Thanks for any help. Beans
    If you are wanting to get out this winter then this is the direction I would recommend. Can't go wrong with this setup and as it's been said many time before if you decide later you do not like it you can sell it here for nearly full price.

Hammock
    WB Traveler, WBRR
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG Inc/Bur,WB Lynx
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I would only get the double layer if I were planning on using a pad, which it sounds like you might so there you go. As for which underquilt(full vs partial) that's a personal preference thing(I like full), someone else might not. Remember though, if you go partial you will need to put something under your feet anyway. Me personally, I would go with a single layer WBRR and get a full length winter and use it all year(venting when warmer out) and eventually when I have more funds, I would get another Lynx(3 season).
    Last edited by CamoNut; 01-07-2016 at 10:41.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    If you think that you might ever use a pad then a double layer is the way to go. The pad between the layers stays in place and except for the added comfort you will not know it is there. If you have wide shoulders a pad will help reduce the shoulder squeeze that you might otherwise experience.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Are you a backpacker? Single cuts weight. Partial UQ cuts weight and less bulk. Consider your camping temps.Mull these thoughts.
    If not a backpacker go for double RR with full length Lynx.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    if you use a down UQ, the single layer will be warmer.

Hammock
    Hexon 1.0/WBRR
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Incubator/Lynx
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Whoopie
    Thanks folks. As a man, I would love to say that I have big broad shoulders, but if we're being honest here, I probably don't need the pad to give my muscles the extra room. I am an amateur backpacker trying to gain as much experience as possible, so weight is an issue. Are the weight savings by using a partial uq substantial enough to still shave weight while adding in the needed pad to supplement for under the feet?

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by MeAndMyBeans View Post
    Thanks folks. As a man, I would love to say that I have big broad shoulders, but if we're being honest here, I probably don't need the pad to give my muscles the extra room. I am an amateur backpacker trying to gain as much experience as possible, so weight is an issue. Are the weight savings by using a partial uq substantial enough to still shave weight while adding in the needed pad to supplement for under the feet?

The savings in weight with partials will depend on the quilts you're comparing and the pad that you use to compliment the underquilt. You can see the difference in quilts at WB. Pad wise you need to also match it to the weather conditions. At AHE we offer two pad thicknesses one for 3 season and one for winter/4 season. Both are under 2 ounces. The major benefit for partials is that they take up less pack space, combine use for the pad as a sit pad around camp or on breaks and that some packs use a removable foam pad as your pack structure and padding. More usefulness to the pad and it's weight becomes more of a write off.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I had the same messiah complex about the RR and it didn't work out for me. Part of the issue is I tried to use it with a winter pad instead of the UQ. The thick, heavy pad effected the lay - it raised me up too much making it more tippy and aligning my knees with the rigid sides as they narrow in the middle.

Not trying to turn you away from the RR, just offering why I'm saying what I am here... definitely get the UQ... definitely get the double layer. I thought about doing what others are suggesting and going with the single (was going to go netless) and an UQ. Ended up deciding I was a GE guy. But here's the thing, when you get into milder weather, you're going to want an easy, light way to insulate your back. You could get a summer UQ, which bulkwise is the best option. OR, you can use a single (or doubled over if nec.) reflectix pad in the sleeve. Those pads are flexible and thin enough to not disrupt the comfort of the hammock, but are surprisingly warm (and cheap). Talking about the housing insulator that looks like alum foil bubble wrap.

The double layer gives you a little more support, and offers the option of using a pad. As tippy as a bridge hammock can be, I don't believe you ever want to deal with sleeping directly on a pad.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    Hey there Beans...let me chime in here because I'm a new Ridgerunner owner (and new hammocker)(hammocker?) myself.

First off, I'd want to point out that the weight limit on the single layer RR is only 200 lbs....so depending on how big a fella you are...your decision on single vs double layer may be made for you.

I made the decision to jump into this hammock thing on Black Friday 2015. I went with a double layer RR and a cloudburst tarp. I decided to forego the UQ initially because I had no idea if hammocking would be for me or not. I have a few pads from ground camping so I planned on initially using those in between the layers.

I've hung in the back yard at several different temperature points just trying to figure out how much insulation I need at various temps. The coldest I've gone so far was upper 20s (Fahrenheit of course cuz I'm 'merican) and I did that by stacking multiple pads between the layers.

I decided last week that I dig hanging and ordered a Ridge Creek partial UQ from AHE. It's on it's way as we speak.
    I debated considerably between the Lynx, Ambush, and Ridge Creek UQs, and ultimately decided that the AHE product was the best fit for my purposes and would give me the most flexibility without sacrificing performance. It's "conservatively" rated at 25*, and if I go colder than that, I figure the double layers will allow me the option of going with a CCF pad in addition to the UQ. Not only that, it's barely any heavier than the down UQs, but only half the price. Rest assured I'll be giving reports from the back yard after I receive it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast