BIAS WWM Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies

Best "Indoor" Synthetic Hammock for Campervan

I am in the process of converting my 2005 Chevy Astro AWD (mid-sized van) and am using some Petzl hangers (climbing spec.) from the front passenger to the rear drivers-side corner as anchors. I have slept amazingly in it using a Brazilian Hammock by greatly shortening the typical "string" ends by girth hitching a couple small slings similar to a gathered end to drastically reduce the needed "distance between." I'd like to have a synthetic option.

Current quiver:

• Warbonnet Outdoors Travler Double Layer 1.1oz (used for car camping/camp lounging)
    • BIAS Weight Weenie Micro 56" with knotty (UL Backpacking Hammock)
    • Byer of Maine - Amazonas Paradiso Double Hammock (Brazilian) (Home sleeping/bed replacement - cooler weather)
    • Hayneedle - XXL Mazatlan Mayan Hammock-Cotton/Natural (Home sleeping/bed replacement - warmer weather)

The Traveler did not lay right, seems like the distance in relation to the low mount height is the issue. I attached it straight to the gathered ends amsteel loop from the hanger. The lady is laying perpendicular (pros of being short) in the van on a "bed" while I am over top so-to-speak, and my dog lays on the floor under me. Gives a nice open floor plan during the day when hammock is detached from front of van!

Have been looking around to see what is the most comfortable nylon/etc hammock for the van given the shorter mounting distance of:

• 109" between anchors (minus Metolius F.S. Mini II Carabiner on either end)
    • 43.5" distance of front to the floor
    • 39.5" rear to floor (could maker slightly higher if needed)

Never tried a ENO DoubleNest, but don't imagine it being more comfortable than the Traveler..surely there are better comfort options?
    Last edited by drivethruecp; 01-06-2016 at 15:04.

Might be time for a bridge hammock....109" b'twn anchors is 9'-1".

Hammock
    BIAS WWM Weight Weenie Micro
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Considered bridge. But I rely on the diminishing ends of a standard hammock to fit as I get closer to the walls. Will have to look further into real estate needed for a bridge and also if I can find a way to run it the length of the van to combat the lack of thinning ends..

Maybe even rethink 2 person layout if I could fit two bridge running the length of the van side by side?...

Shoulder width seems to be too wide for my application... Hm...If the front and rear bars were stationary, wouldn't it just be a more ergonomic cot?
    Last edited by drivethruecp; 01-06-2016 at 15:58.

Hammock
    WBBB DL + 7 others
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    LocoLibre TQ0 UQ0
    Suspension
    15'Kevlar3.3J-bend
    This may work for you. ENO Pronest. Eight feet long, discontinued but available on Amazon, at price jacked up thirty dollars. I bought one there at normal price recently, and there are new ones at normal price on ebay.

Unfolded Dimensions
    (L x W) 96 x 54 inches
    Folded Dimensions
    (Dia x L) 4 x 4 inches
    Sleeping Capacity
    1-person
    Weight Capacity (lbs)
    400 pounds
    Material(s)
    Nylon
    Ultralight
    Yes
    Weight
    12.8 ounces

Not many options on shorty hammocks that I see. If you had a little more space an ENO Doublenest would work (112"). I have one hanging in my main view room from a wall stud eye screw and a gymnastics rings strap from the high ceiling on the other end. Wholly satisfactory. I often spend the night in it. Sometimes it's hard to stay awake it's so comfortable. It's so wide I can lay nearly flat sideways. I can't use my other longer hammocks in this room because those two anchor points are not movable. There is one exception, my Grand Trunk Nano, a short skinny lightest of them all I believe. Or was. That's for day hikes mostly.

Hammock
    Streamliner, Boone 30
    Tarp
    UGQ, Spinn Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ, SSUQ, Greyloc
    Suspension
    UCR's, Whoopies
    Images
    I had a 2004 Astro van, I was quite pleased with my tablecloth hammock. Search the forum here they were popular years ago.

Here's a thread that compares The Tablecloth Factory Taffeta Tablecloth hammocks to various manufactured hammocks.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ght=tablecloth

Good Luck. If Bonefire Gear was still making hammocks I'd send you there, he made the flattest laying hammock I've tried, and it was 10'!
    Last edited by dirtwheels; 12-16-2020 at 21:16.
    Give me more darkness said the blind man,
    Give me more folly said the fool,
    Give me stone silence said the deaf man,
    I didn't believe Sunday School.
    Phil Keaggy

Hammock
    Onewind 12 foot
    Tarp
    Noah’s Tarp
    Insulation
    Onewind double
    Suspension
    Onewind
    How did it turn out?
    I’m looking at Astros now and I want to hang inside.

Hammock
    El Dorado
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    UQ varies
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I too am curious and would like to see some pictures of this.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DH Night Hawk
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Doors
    Insulation
    HG 0F Incubator
    Suspension
    15'+12' Becket
    I'd just get a length of fabric and custom fit it to your van. Hammocks don't need to be fancy; no need to sew at all (even unsewn sides lose their fray after a little while).

What I'd do is tie an overhand knot on one side of the fabric and larks head a loop over it. Attach that to one anchor point and draw it over to the other anchor point. Get a stick or something and make a bite over it with the other end of the hammock, then lock it in place with another larks headed loop (which is then attached to the other anchor point). You can adjust the length of the hammock by simply adjusting the bite, and you can even let a little extra out on your foot end to dial in the comfort.

This is honestly going to treat you the best you can be, since the hammock itself will span the whole length between the anchor points without anything extra in the way, and a longer hammock is a better hammock.

I use this setup in my bedroom. It was a quick stopgap measure one night years ago, but it's been great.
    "This is the greatest wisdom—to seek the kingdom of heaven through contempt of the world." - Thomas à Kempis

• + New Posts