Lightbulb Suggestions: Girl 5'6" and under 150lbs looking to make her own hammock

I would love to make a custom hammock for myself, but am feeling a little timid about doing so. I've read some posts and just have not settled on how to go about it. I have some questions, so if you have any thoughts, I'd love your input.

1. What fabric? I don't mind stretch but also hate feeling slippery. I'd like a little grip.

2. What weight of fabric? I'd like to go as light as possible for backpacking and feel comfortable it'll hold the additional gear (sleeping bag/pad/under quilt).

3. What length and width? I have an ENO Double and I really don't like the extra stitching along the sides. I just want it long enough and wide enough to fit me.

4. Sewing plans? I'm not much of a sewer, but I have friends who are who can help me in this department. Will I need to sew all of the ends so they don't fray? Do I need to buy special thread?

5. Where are the best prices for materials?

Thanks!

B

Hammock
    DIY 11ft Hammock
    Tarp
    3m x3m MYOG Camo
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Amsteel
    Wow a lot of questions, there are a million answers but here is mine,
    1. Dutchwear gear hexon fabric, not slippery at all, very nice feel. A little stretch but not too much.

2. Go with the hexon 1.0 1oz fabric more than enough for you and packs very small and light.

3. 11ft is the most comfortable for most, but for you a bit shorter might be better. Maybe 10ft its really personal choice so difficult to recommend. Dont forget to add on the extra material if you are going to roll the ends for a channel. I would go for the width of the fabric off the roll, easy to trim it later but not easy to add if its too narrow.

4. Yes all edges will have to be double rolled hemmed the lightweight fabrics frey pretty badly, they should be breathable so no coating to help it stop freying. You have to trim the salvages off the long edges too.
    Guttermanns polyester sew all thread would be fine.

Hope it helps
    Tacblades

Hammock
    Custom 11.5' 1.6 Hyper D Gathered
    Tarp
    Custom Sil-Ny Hex
    Insulation
    Custom Apex Quilts
    Suspension
    DIY Amsteel
    Ripstopbytheroll.com is throwing in a free spool of Mara70 with every purchase I have made in the last couple of months... I would suggest the HyperD fabric in 1.0 or 1.6 from rsbtr. Really comfy and strong. I agree with everything else above.

Hammock
    Custom 11.5' 1.6 Hyper D Gathered
    Tarp
    Custom Sil-Ny Hex
    Insulation
    Custom Apex Quilts
    Suspension
    DIY Amsteel
    BTW- it is way easier than you think. You just need some time and a sewing machine...

Hammock
    11' Poly Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Synth
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    I would order 4 yards of 1.0 HyperD from ripstopbytheroll.com and cut it to 11ft long. This will give you a hammock that's about 10.5' long. There's no need to worry about cutting off the rough looking long edges.

Now that you've got a nice rectangle, sew a rolled hem down the long edges, just wide enough to hide the nasty bits. Now do two more rolled hems on the short sides, but make them about 2-3 inches wide. I normally fold over an inch and then make another 2" fold. You'll want three rows of stitching in this hem since it will be holding you up off of the ground.

As far as thread goes, you want a thread that doesn't stretch. Gutterman polyester thread is pretty much the go to. If you order from ripstopbytheroll you'll get the thread for free. That stuff is great, but my machine likes thinner thread so I use the Gutterman sew all from Joann.

You'll have enough fabric left over to make some stuff sacks too

I have to agree on the Hyper D 1.6, it feels great, was easy to sew and if they throw in the thread. I do not like the 1.0 hyper D when calendared, not sure what the uncalendared is like but the stuff I have snags on everything. Like dry finger tips.

my kids sleep just fine in big hammocks and there is hardly any extra weight, with straps and whoopies they are well under a pound. Going smaller won't save much weight or pack space and can't be undone. I think standard is 10ft long.

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    If you don’t like the floppy sides cat-cuts on the edges will reduce them. It’s a curve going all the way on the long edges. 4-5 inches on the deepest point will do the trick. The down side is it requires a lot of measuring and marking and it’s a bit harder to hem.
    hammock catcuts.png
    As for fabric I have used HyperD 1.6 from rsbtr several times and I am approx.190lbs. I have also tried HyperD 1.0 but it was too stretchy for me but it may not be for you.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Absolutely do not get or make no 10 or 10&half foot hammock.
    For your comfort get 11footer. And width around 5feet.
    Shorter hammocks have had calf ridge problems by more than a few hammockers. An 11footer allows you to get a good diagonal lay without calf ridge pressure and without sleeping in a banana like curve.
    Try several 11x5 footers before DIY or BUY. Good luck

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    And before you start with 11feet and start sewing--ask those who DIY and or reputable vendors what length they start with to get an 11footer. It will be worth your time-as further study may be needed to sleep really good.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyCaddyGirl View Post
    1. What fabric? I don't mind stretch but also hate feeling slippery. I'd like a little grip.
    Pretty much all nylon hammock fabrics should be fine. The most slippery hammock fabric I have used so far was PolyD, a polyester. But since you like stretch, polyester is not for you anyway. The hammock fabrics with the nicest touch are Hexon, Argon and HyperD. Hexon and Argon feel a bit like cotton, HyperD has a velvety touch.

2. What weight of fabric? I'd like to go as light as possible for backpacking and feel comfortable it'll hold the additional gear (sleeping bag/pad/under quilt).
    If you want to make a single layer hammock, I would recommend going with a 1.6oz fabric. It's simply more durable with only a slight weight penalty. Argon has the most stretch, HyperD a bit less - Hexon has the least stretch (but is still too stretchy for my taste).

If you really want to use a 1.0oz fabric, I'd recommend the Hexon over the HyperD, because it is tougher.

3. What length and width? I have an ENO Double and I really don't like the extra stitching along the sides. I just want it long enough and wide enough to fit me.
    It's difficult to say what length would be perfect for you. Maybe get enough fabric for an 11' hammock, but only sew the sides. Then whip the hammock at different lengths and see what suits you best. I don't agree with the opinion longer is better. There are a lot of (individual) factors that can make a hammock more or less comfortable. I'm 5'4" and my most comfortable hiking hammock is a bit under 10'. At home I use a longer hammock with lots more sag. Consider that a longer hammock also weighs more, and possibly needs a longer tarp. For my 11' hammocks, I wasn't too happy with the coverage I got with a standard 11' no-doors tarp.

Since you want to go as light as possible, stick with 60" width. More width can be comfortable, but the difference isn't that great for us shorter people, in my opinion.

4. Sewing plans? I'm not much of a sewer, but I have friends who are who can help me in this department. Will I need to sew all of the ends so they don't fray?
    Check out the stickies DIY sub-form. Here is one thread with a simple tutorial: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ed-End-Hammock

There are plenty of threads on how to sew an integrated hammock as well.

Do I need to buy special thread?
    Most people use Gutermann Mara 70 for the seams that have to carry weight (the tunnel seams at the head and foot end). I prefer Gutermann Tera 60, which is tougher but a bit thinner and slicker, and sews more easily. But if you whip the hammock (so don't run the suspension through the tunnel, but put it around the hammock fabric), you can use something like Gutermann Sew-All - or whatever you can find. Polyester is better than nylon/polyamid, though. Avoid cotton, silk or anything that can rot.

5. Where are the best prices for materials?
    Well, if you want a fabric that is meant to be used in hammocks, order from either Dutch or Ripstopbytheroll. Hexon and Argon are made by Dutch - HyperD by Ripstopbytheroll. You won't find these fabrics anywhere else.

I can also recommend the 1.9oz nylon ripstop RbtR sells. It's perfect for beginner projects because it is cheap and sews easily. If you start DIYing, you will make more than one hammock anyway. It's addictive, and it's great to make hammocks for different purposes (e.g. one for day hikes, one for winter camping, one for indoor hanging, one for playing with the kids, ...).

• + New Posts