Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UKhammock UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Best way to boost UQ temperature.

I think i need a little help here....

As winter is upon us ( at least here in Sweden) i thought i might try some cold weather camping, being that i can boost my UQ somehow.

I currently use a 20° 3/4 length UQ that have served me well dueing my three season camping but is bearly keeping me warm as the temps are dropping into the low twenties.

So i am trying to find a way to get some clarity in as how to boost it.
    Should i combine it with a pad?
    Stuff a down jacket/down parka in my UQ?
    Use some reflectix-like material?

I'm getting cabisn sickness not being out and about in the woods, i crave my overnighters to clear my head!
    So which is the most foolproof way to go?

Trying to search the forums can be quite the challenge and i fail miserably, so i turn to my fellow hammockers for advice")

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Hot water bottle is what I found to address your search to boost your UQ warmth....there is a long..long thread on the hammock forum on this topic. Shug has a great video on his very subzero hammock camping trip too. Good luck....

Images
    A breathable underquilt protector will ad a little to your system
    Next something like a travel sock would give you a bit more.
    My favorite way is to sleep in my insulated over clothing that I only wear around camp after all the sweaty work is done and I have dried out and cooled down.

Hammock
    Woodsman X
    Tarp
    Custom silnylon
    Insulation
    Down UQ, d.i.y TQ
    Suspension
    LoopAlien
    before i got the proper kit i used to shove a thermarest sit pad under me bum and a ccf pad cross ways under me back and shoulders
    It worked, but not for people that move around more than 1/2" during the night lol

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Hammock
    DIY Gatherd End
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UKhammock UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    A Winter UQ is of course the easiest solution, but i´m kinda funds limited for the moment ( as Always )

I´ve got a UQ protector that probably will give me som boost, if not it will help me keep that potential wind of my buttocks....

Isn´t adding layers of clothes going to be contra productive? Read that somewhere?

I hung my stuff, UQ, UQP and used my 20 degree sleepingbag, yesterday evening when the temps where around 22 degrees and wasn´t cold but not toasty either, so i THINK i found the limit of my setup.

For tonights testing i´ll be trying out some reflective material ( windshield protector thingy ) and try that out.
    Should i put the reflective stupp in between my UQ and hammock, or should i just use it as a pad?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by maximillian View Post
    Isn´t adding layers of clothes going to be contra productive? Read that somewhere?
    Urban myth (or should that be woodland myth?)

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Insulation is not my forte. I'm in learning curve two steps behind experienced winter campers. And want to go on regional Frozen Butt Hangs.
    I have a 20 degree underquilt. And combine it with a 40x72x3/16 GossamerGear Oware pad in a double layer hammock. That pad is so big I can't slip off--and it blocks wind great. It can wrinkle and reduce comfort some. And I'm looking for a thicker pad same 40x72.
    The seasoned winter campers have added underquilt protectors, winter hammock socks, tarps with closed doors- staked close to ground all sides. And Shug pod systems- either custom or a sleeping bag that envelops hammock and all other insulation-this can reduce your comfortable diagonal lay a little. And some serious winter campers stack or double up on their underquilts.
    With all that some times you might get cold-or windy cold; and if you over insulate and sweat--then you will get really cold.
    Practice where you can bailout into a warm home. And when you hang in extreme weather--go with experienced hangers until you have passed the learning curve. It's gonna get so cold--full figured women and men with hairy backs will be the new incrowd.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    The easiest and cheapest way to boost your underquilt is to get an Evazote pad. I find the thin ones (3-5mm) easiest to use in the hammock. Thicker pads don't conform to the body as well. And Reflectix is not as warm.

If you have a down blanket (something like a Cumulus comforter or a Yeti Duvet), you could knot some shock cord on the four corners and add it between underquilt and hammock. I have done this, and it adds a lot of warmth without the condensation of a pad. Some sleeping bags can be (ab)used in this way, too.

In addition, a sock will help as well.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GadgetUK437 View Post
    Urban myth (or should that be woodland myth?)
    Adding layers can work in your favor, OR it can work against what your down is designed to do. No myth, no absolutes one way or the other, just misunderstanding.

max - though I'm not familiar with your quilt, I'm going to assume it has similar quality to HG and others I am familiar with. So, what I will say to you is to focus on getting out of your quilt what you should be able to get. Its a 20 degree quilt (that is imperial right, not celsius?) and it ought to take you to the low 20s. You don't need supplementary insulation, what you need are items that help the quilt work more efficiently.

First is to do whatever to cut wind. A sock is perhaps the best complementary purchase for creating a windless environment around your hammock. Tarp doors and an undercover are the next best way to go. Second, increase your top insulation over and above what you would need to match the 20 rating of the UQ. I always have a lower rated UQ so that the heat rises and fills my TQ insulation, making it more efficient, but you want to make sure you're keeping all your heat in to give as much as you can to the UQ. Lastly, make sure your extremities are taken care of separately. Your head, your feet, your arms and hands all don't always contribute all of their heat loss directly to the UQ. They can be sources for heat loss outside of what the UQ is designed to do.

I've had some success with the reflectix bubble pads in my double layer hammock. They conform pretty well and do a good job of blocking convection while not robbing the down of your body heat. I do believe there is some minor benefit from heat reflection, but I think most of the insulating power comes from the bubbles.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast