DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i`ve only seen one bear while hiking & that was from probably at least a quarter mile away (mt mitchel, nc).
    he was gone by the time i got closer & came out to where i could see again.
    i camped there on that meadow-like mountian side that night, but never saw the bear again.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Here's a pic of my HH with straps including my new buckle attachment:

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery....php?i=193&c=4

And in use with my HH ULB:

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery....php?i=195&c=4

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    i`ve seen those rascals on tv. i bet that would get your blood pumping<G>
    Wombats are cuddly little vegans. They have big claws that they use to dig their burrows, but I've never heard of them hurting anyone. It's more funny than frightening. Kind of like being charged by a muppet. I suppose we're lucky in Australia that the big carnivores had died out long before we got here. Still, apparently we have 9 of the ten most deadly snakes in the world, so it's all swings and roundabouts.

If I saw a grizzly I'd probably crap my pants

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    maybe this post will help keep some one off the ground.
    last night was the 1st time i got around to using the cc buckles. i had a couple interesting things happen.
    1st thing was that all of a sudden i started easing down to the floor. the 1" webbing from wal-mart had begun to tear on one side & the cc buckle had turned caddy-corner. i believe maybe the webbing was just to soft & pulled to one side of the buckle. i changed it out & went to bed.
    next i woke to a falling sensation!
    i had a question mark pop-up in the back of my mind when i first looked at the box stitchin http .http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/PC110176.JPG .on the home made cc buckle straps... or maybe it was a caution flag?
    anyway, as you can see in the picture, the stitching wasn`t enough to do the job. maybe someone can elaborate on proper stitching for a box stitch.
    i`m guessing that the sewing mach needs to be set to deliver the most stitch per inch that it can.
    i was all ready hanging close to the floor & had a big-ole memory foam pillow under me, so no injuries.
    Last edited by slowhike; 12-13-2006 at 21:33.

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest &amp; DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    maybe this post will help keep some one off the ground.
    last night was the 1st time i got around to using the cc buckles. i had a couple interesting things happen.
    1st thing was that all of a sudden i started easing down to the floor. the 1" webbing from wal-mart had begun to tear on one side & the cc buckle had turned caddy-corner. i believe maybe the webbing was just to soft & pulled to one side of the buckle. i changed it out & went to bed.
    next i woke to a falling sensation!
    i had a question mark pop-up in the back of my mind when i first looked at the box stitchin http .http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/PC110176.JPG .on the home made cc buckle straps... or maybe it was a caution flag?
    anyway, as you can see in the picture, the stitching wasn`t enough to do the job. maybe someone can elaborate on proper stitching for a box stitch.
    i`m guessing that the sewing mach needs to be set to deliver the most stitch per inch that it can.
    i was all ready hanging close to the floor & had a big-ole memory foam pillow under me, so no injuries.
    Did you put bar tacks at the top and bottom of the box stitching? I did a double box stitch with bar tacks and haven't had a problem.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stoikurt View Post
    Did you put bar tacks at the top and bottom of the box stitching? I did a double box stitch with bar tacks and haven't had a problem.
    no bar tack. i`ve been hearing that bar tacks can actually weaken fabric because it puts so many holes in a small space.
    i believe it was on backpackinglight.com that they compared bar tacking vs box stitching & showed that the box stitch was much stronger.
    but i did go back & sew two lines of zig zag stitches down across the box stitches on the other buckle`s webbing just to add strength until i make another.
    i believe that having more stitches per inch will be better. notice in the picture, you can see that the stitches are probably longer than they should be.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I used triple bartacks on my homemade slapstraps, and they've worked great. I think bartacks probably weaken normal fabric, but straps are woven so loosely that I don't think it's a problem. As long as the stitch doesn't weaken the material, it's definitely stronger than box stitching. Especially when you don't have a lot of room to work with.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    I used triple bartacks on my homemade slapstraps, and they've worked great. I think bartacks probably weaken normal fabric, but straps are woven so loosely that I don't think it's a problem. As long as the stitch doesn't weaken the material, it's definitely stronger than box stitching. Especially when you don't have a lot of room to work with.
    maybe i`ll give it a try. i`m really liking the cc buckles. i just need to be sure to get the attachments right.
    i have thought about a series of lighter bar tacks which would just be about two zig zag lines, one on top of the other.

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest &amp; DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    I think bartacks probably weaken normal fabric, but straps are woven so loosely that I don't think it's a problem. As long as the stitch doesn't weaken the material, it's definitely stronger than box stitching. Especially when you don't have a lot of room to work with.
    I believe this is probably true.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    But overlapping box stitches spread the force over a wider area. As long as the threads are strong enough, and there are enough boxes, I don't see how concentrating the force into a bar tack is preferable. Unless you don't have room for box stitches, obviously.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast