Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I've noticed one hassle so far. If I pull it really tight, then want to undo it before I get in, the buckle is tough to undo.
    I was just going to post about this when I read your comment. I was playing around with the buckles AND a ridgeline trying to what they are all about. I was also using overly long straps stretched out to a silly distance between trees. (I know, too many variables at once) So, naturally, I had to pull the straps really tight to keep my butt off of the ground. I was completely unable to release the buckles. I had to cut the ridgeline to get enough slack. It was fortunate that I was also playing around with a ridgeline at the time, or I would have had to cut a strap.

My kingdom for my butt in the woods

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    i just got 3 sets of the CC type buckles & was just wondering... jeff & t-back, have you had much chance to use the set-ups you posted pictures of?
    if so, have you considered doing anything differant in the way you made the attachments w/ webbing or cord? or do both of those set-ups seem to be doing well?
    they both look great. ...tim
    Slowhike,

I used my setup for two nights in the Ocala NF this past week. I made my stepson a hammock and attached the same system to it. We had no problems with them at all. setup times were much quicker than we were used to. Once, due to an inaccurate map and guide, we overshot our campsite and arrived at the next hangable area after dark. Goeff has only hung a hammock about ten times had his up almost as fast as I did. The simplicity and ability to make small adjustments easily has me sold. Also the wet straps can easily be stored separate from my dry hammock. The highlight of the trip was when we came around a hairpin turn in the trail and suprised a momma bear and her baby. She stood her ground until the little one scampered away from us and then she turned and ran. It was a very humbling experience.

Brian
    t-BACK

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Porkbutter View Post
    It was fortunate that I was also playing around with a ridgeline at the time, or I would have had to cut a strap.
    If you didn't have a ridgeline I doubt you would be pulling it completely tight or else you wouldn't have any sag therefore you wouldn't have to cut a strap.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

stoikurt,
    Ah, yes, you may have a good point there. And there is nothing like circular thinking to re-affirm an idea.
    On the other hand, with those long straps I still might have ended up pulling it too tight, even with out a ridgeline. After all. I have been known to stare logic squarely in the face and avoid it anyway.

My kingdom for my butt in the woods

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by T-BACK View Post
    Slowhike,

I used my setup for two nights in the Ocala NF this past week. I made my stepson a hammock and attached the same system to it. We had no problems with them at all. setup times were much quicker than we were used to. Once, due to an inaccurate map and guide, we overshot our campsite and arrived at the next hangable area after dark. Goeff has only hung a hammock about ten times had his up almost as fast as I did. The simplicity and ability to make small adjustments easily has me sold. Also the wet straps can easily be stored separate from my dry hammock. The highlight of the trip was when we came around a hairpin turn in the trail and suprised a momma bear and her baby. She stood her ground until the little one scampered away from us and then she turned and ran. It was a very humbling experience.

Brian
    t-BACK
    that`s pretty cool... since it turned out that way<g>.
    good thing mama followed baby. how close were you?
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Super cool isn't it...had a similiar experience years ago.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Images
    lol - In Australia we have wombats, and they're a bit short sighted, and rather 'portly'. when a walker stumbles upon one, they seem to think " Oh-oh, Hmmm...I'll just escape by running between his legs! He'll never expect that!"

While not quite in the league of a camel and the eye of a needle, I'm sure you get the idea

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    lol - In Australia we have wombats, and they're a bit short sighted, and rather 'portly'. when a walker stumbles upon one, they seem to think " Oh-oh, Hmmm...I'll just escape by running between his legs! He'll never expect that!"

While not quite in the league of a camel and the eye of a needle, I'm sure you get the idea
    i`ve seen those rascals on tv. i bet that would get your blood pumping<G>

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Super cool isn't it...had a similiar experience years ago.

Pan
    ... and how close was your encounter pan?

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    ... and how close was your encounter pan?
    Slowhike,

Two actually...

Circa 1963, SNP, about 20 yards, on a ridge line, Bear stood on hind legs ( bigger than us) bellowed at the four of us, dropped to all fours and then romped off down hill.

2004, dust settling on Cedar Run Trail in SNP, Smee and I started bush wacking up an unmarked creek looking for a hammock site when we jumped a cub 20-30 yards ahead, who promptly high tailed it up hill out of site under momma's protection proly... we turned left on a game trail and camped about 50 yards from that spot... we were tired, it was late... poor choice... every deer that came by, about six that nite, had us awake, shining lights to make sure it was not the bears... even got up to investigate a loud "snap" in the vicinity of our bear bags.... just another deer..... Lesson Learned.....(the hard way) move on a good distance from any last know bear citing....

Probably have a good 4-5 more good bear encounters but these two came to mind when I read and commented on your cool citing/experiance.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast