Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Every time

The Expensive Hammock That Will Save You Money

This post serves to help new hammock campers save money as they acquire the necessary gear to safely and comfortably convert to a hammock shelter while backpacking. First, I’ll describe a typical forum member’s (John) expensive journey into this hobby. Next, I’ll suggest a way that a prospective hammock camper can save money while acquiring essential gear that won’t immediately need to be replaced. Finally, it’s important to note that there are as many ways to start hammock camping as there are people. I’m not suggesting anyone’s way is wrong. I’m offering a resource for the hammock-curious to consider at the start of their journey.

John

John is our generic camper who’s interested in converting to a hammock for his backpacking shelter. He reads through hammockforums and decides that he’ll spring for an ENO hammock from REI or online ($50ish). He soon realizes that he also needs suspension and tree straps. ($30ish). John tries out his system and quickly finds that his sleeping bag is not sufficient for insulation and reads up about using his pad in the hammock. After a night of cold shoulders and wrestling with the pad, John invests in a pad wing solution ($30ish). It still sucks so John tries to get an underquilt on the cheap. He buys a military poncho liner and cobbles together a reasonably functional underquilt ($50ish with cords, etc…). John then realizes that he wants a bug net. Perhaps he springs for a Fronkey style bugnet ($60ish)....but probably tries something else that doesn’t work very well before buying the legit bug net.

John now realizes that all of these half-efforts are way heavier and bulkier than his tent system but he’s hooked on hammocking. With better knowledge and experience, John now begins to acquire a lighter weight system with whoopie slings, tree straps, and Dutch hardware. He easily drops way more money than his previous efforts but he’s happy with his new gear. Now he wants to try to take his system into colder temps…..

And he still doesn’t have a tarp. (another journey for a different time).

The expensive hammock that will save you money

I’d like to make a case for the Warbonnet Ridgerunner hammock for new hammockers. While this $200ish purchase will not escape the spousal financial radar - you will be well on your way to a functional system right out of the gates. Here’s why:

• integrated bug net is just brilliant
    • you can gracefully use a pad you already own
    • you can purchase a high end inflatable pad that will work great for most temps much cheaper than an equivalently rated down underquilt
    • the cinch buckle system is light and works really well
    • it is very comfortable for most users
    • It can be sold for almost full retail value if it doesn’t work out for you

If you are considering hammock camping for your backpacking shelter - please consider John’s journey. While discrete purchases from Home Depot, Walmart, and Amazon will not raise the ire of your spouse...they end up adding up to way more money in the long run. Save up for a few months and get started in a happy place.

Good luck!
    Last edited by hikenbike; 01-04-2016 at 16:52.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Incubator 0 UQ
    I can agree with that. I wish I had given bridges a closer look early on.

Also, it can be used as a bivvy if you have to go to ground.

Hammock
    Mood Dependent
    Tarp
    Weather Dependent
    Insulation
    Just Dependent
    Suspension
    Beckett Up Pardner
    Images
    spousal financial radar.......that's hilarious.........whenever I can get my spousal radar cloaking shield invented I can quit my day job.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    AHE JB, HG, UQP
    Suspension
    WB Stock, Dutch

The Expensive Hammock That Will Save You Money

I am a member of Johns family. I followed in his footsteps and end up Pais for it in the long run. My current set up ended up costing me a good deal of money but it is light weight. The current set up cost me about what I paid for my previous 4 setups. From my amd Johns family. Take our lessons learned and save up amd buy quality over quanity.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ 13' WD
    Insulation
    F/L WINT LYNX
    Suspension
    WHOOPI/DUTCH BUCKL
    I did EXACTLY what hikenbike said. Tested on the cheap with almost identical items. Just invested in a JRB BMBH, JRB Mt Washington 3 UQ, JRB 11x10 tarp and a Flight Jacket 20* UQ. Expensive? Yes. Worth it ABSOLUTELY!!! I now sleep in absolute comfort where as before I pretended to wake up well rested. Spend the money up front if you can afford it. If not borrow gear until you save enough to buy quality gear.

My two cents,

John

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I'm beginning my hammock journey and after spending a lot of time reading the message board I decided to start with the Warbonnet Ridgerunner which came in three weeks ago. Now I'm taking my time to save for the underquilt and topquilts. I'm tarp shopping now but I'm doing my best to be patient and get "a good one" now. It's hard for me to be this patient but the good thing is I do not like cold weather so I've got a bit of time before my prime hanging time arrives. Thanks for the article.

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0 degree TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/straps
    Great post for us beginners.. I have taken the "less expensive in the long run" route my self although I went with the WB XLC and HG 0 UQ

I learned a long time ago... Never reinvent the wheel ...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images
    spousal radar cloaking shield... Yeah, I want.

Great advice given.

Although I like my Warbonnett Blackbird a lot, I would have liked to see / lay in a bridge hammock. No regrets though. I picked and am loyal to a cottage vendor because everything "fits" together nicely. Something about mass-produced oriental gear creates discord !

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    The way I see it is HYOH. If I want to go the cheap route, that's my business. I have 20 hammocks, 5 under quilts 2 top quilts, & 2 UQP s, a numerous down bags. 10 tarps etc. It's still HYOH. I an afford it but a lot of guys can't. The goal is to get them into the woods period. Why does everyone reccomend what fits them?

I had rather see a guy in the woods with what he can afford than not see him at all.

Robert

Hammock
    Hennessy Jungle Expedition Zip
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    While I agree with the premise of this post, I would say you can get a high quality hammock that is an all in one like the Hennessy Hammocks and choose multiple options and still stay under 200 easy if you want to. You can choose bottom entry, side zip, you get extra's like the snake skins, water catch system and if you buy at different times you can even get an extra cub hammock for a child or short/petite adult for free.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast