SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Its not all about affordability, a lot of it is access. We're not generally programmed to have the trust to go find something online and order it. And its not only trust, but its the appreciation for what paying for brick and mortar means to the community. But alas, our best products/vendors don't have a brick and mortar outlet. Those selling in those venues must reach a compromise between sales price and product quality/effectiveness. They have to manage the balance in producing a quality product at an affordable price to the company that will eventually be responsible for selling it - not to the end user.

So, when it comes to this site, and the info available, I definitely think patience is a virtue. When's the last time you saw an ENO for sale here? When's the last time you saw a Blackbird not be sold within a few days at a price around 20% of new or better? Or Dream Hammock? Or SLD or BIAS or Dutch? Used to be it was pretty much only WB, so competition is alive and well. It takes some patience to see what it is we have here. Once you see it, truly see it, might as well toss that REI membership card.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post

. It takes some patience to see what it is we have here. Once you see it, truly see it, might as well toss that REI membership card.
    I still buy my Camp Suds, Milk Maid, and dried eggs there...

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by hikenbike View Post
    This post serves to help new hammock campers save money as they acquire the necessary gear to safely and comfortably convert to a hammock shelter while backpacking. First, I’ll describe a typical forum member’s (John) expensive journey into this hobby. Next, I’ll suggest a way that a prospective hammock camper can save money while acquiring essential gear that won’t immediately need to be replaced. Finally, it’s important to note that there are as many ways to start hammock camping as there are people. I’m not suggesting anyone’s way is wrong. I’m offering a resource for the hammock-curious to consider at the start of their journey.

John

John is our generic camper who’s interested in converting to a hammock for his backpacking shelter. He reads through hammockforums and decides that he’ll spring for an ENO hammock from REI or online ($50ish). He soon realizes that he also needs suspension and tree straps. ($30ish). John tries out his system and quickly finds that his sleeping bag is not sufficient for insulation and reads up about using his pad in the hammock. After a night of cold shoulders and wrestling with the pad, John invests in a pad wing solution ($30ish). It still sucks so John tries to get an underquilt on the cheap. He buys a military poncho liner and cobbles together a reasonably functional underquilt ($50ish with cords, etc…). John then realizes that he wants a bug net. Perhaps he springs for a Fronkey style bugnet ($60ish)....but probably tries something else that doesn’t work very well before buying the legit bug net.

John now realizes that all of these half-efforts are way heavier and bulkier than his tent system but he’s hooked on hammocking. With better knowledge and experience, John now begins to acquire a lighter weight system with whoopie slings, tree straps, and Dutch hardware. He easily drops way more money than his previous efforts but he’s happy with his new gear. Now he wants to try to take his system into colder temps…..

And he still doesn’t have a tarp. (another journey for a different time).

The expensive hammock that will save you money

I’d like to make a case for the Warbonnet Ridgerunner hammock for new hammockers. While this $200ish purchase will not escape the spousal financial radar - you will be well on your way to a functional system right out of the gates. Here’s why:

• integrated bug net is just brilliant
    • you can gracefully use a pad you already own
    • you can purchase a high end inflatable pad that will work great for most temps much cheaper than an equivalently rated down underquilt
    • the cinch buckle system is light and works really well
    • it is very comfortable for most users
    • It can be sold for almost full retail value if it doesn’t work out for you

If you are considering hammock camping for your backpacking shelter - please consider John’s journey. While discrete purchases from Home Depot, Walmart, and Amazon will not raise the ire of your spouse...they end up adding up to way more money in the long run. Save up for a few months and get started in a happy place.

Good luck!
    Hi, just got a ridgerunner, and I can't wait to test it out. It seems like an awesome investment!

Hammock
    DIY FLYING BUTTREST Bridge or WBRR
    Tarp
    Leaves/Luck/DIY
    Insulation
    UnluckyGeese of HG
    Suspension
    Whoopiedyne Vines
    Images
    Good post! I almost totally agree...but I still like to tinker with things too much to be totally happy with anything the way it is. I like to build something from nothing. I have owned just about every hammock/quilt/tarp out there and in the long run, the resale factor alone with the excellent cottage vendor's gear trumps everything. It is like a sweet gear library where you can see what you like before really totally committing. The little bit of money that I lost was worth the fun that I got out of it...and then there is DIY... Seeing the way the blackbirds, Dream Hammocks,Hammecks are put together upped my gear making game for sure. BUT, I have lost waaay more money in that area, but again, the tinkering is part of the fun for me!
    Trail information, photos, waterfalls and vistas on the DeSoto Scout Trail facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/desoto.trai.../photos_albums

Soon I'll lose these rags and run, Returning to the wild where I'm from. -Chris Whitley

Part of me appreciates the OP's intention to help out new hangers and stop them from making the mistakes that we have all made. But isn't that part of the "initiation"?

I started out with Amazon specials (everything under $30 CANADIAN so like ... 3 USD ) I hung in my backyard with a heavy crappy tarp, a parachute GE hammock and a CCF pad under me with a sleeping bag I already had.

I read my butt off on here and I wised up. I bought Amsteel and poly webbing and made my own suspension. I invested some money in a WL Tadpole (one of the smartest things I did early on) and I went backpacking for 3 days with these things still using my parachute hammock and CCF pad And Sleepinf bag

Since then I saved some money and invested it wisely. I now have a DH sparrow, a HG 20*, and have DIY'ed my own Costco Down TQ which I would say is good to 40* or better.

The learning process is kind of a right of passage. And yes it sucks to spend money needlessly but it's also not wise for someone to jump headlong into something they're not sure they'll like. It's a learning curve. I think the members here at HF are here to provide guidance not tell anyone what to do. And I think the members really do a good job of that.

Hammock
    Hennessy Jungle Expedition Zip
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    I don't want to come off as offending the original poster, but read the post initially as a great post about getting into hammocking with a great solution on the relative cheap without going super cheap and spending more in the long run upgrading. I just saw that he only brought up Warbonnet (a great hammock company btw), but wanted to make sure any newbie understood there were other options and I personnally think that the Hennessy is hard to beat when it comes to a total package with quality.

Great original post and can't agree more with the premise.

Hammock
    11' Hexon 1.6, Poly D 1.3
    Tarp
    HG Standard Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    12' tree straps to
    Images
    On point and an excellent post. I did exactly what "John" did and I would have been pretty annoyed had I not been such a gear junkie. Buying a complete system is definitely more economical even if the upfront cost seems higher.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    13' Winter Haven
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Tensa4
    I tried hard to not waste money, bought good value tester gear to find out if hanging was for me, once I established I liked hanging then I went straight for quality that I could use for a long time to come.
    My main test item was a Yukon hammock bought on special for $20, there was also a Poncho Liner I made into an underquilt.

Since establishing that I wanted to go with hammocks I've bought: Warbonnet BB XLC & Superfly tarp, Hammock Gear Incubator 20 and some really useful stuff from Dutch.
    My idea is to buy what will be items I'll use this year, next year and the year after that. I'm trying to avoid buying things that I think I'll grow out of and want to replace later. I'm wanting to buy anything I need just the once, even if it is something more expensive.
    I never considered I needed the dearest of any equipment, just the best value choice of the most suitable options.

I keep reading about someone that doesn't want to spend too much and wants to know if some product might work OK, I kinda think that often these people will one day just buy the best type of product for that purpose and then wonder why they didn't just buy that to start with.

Want a warm butt? Just save up and get a good down UQ from one of the highly respected vendors recommended on these forums, that money you spend will only hurt for a short while, you will have the benefit of that UQ for a long time! The same applies to the tarp and the hammock. Just save up some money and buy the right thing the first time, IMO.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by mrrhoads View Post
    I don't want to come off as offending the original poster, but read the post initially as a great post about getting into hammocking with a great solution on the relative cheap without going super cheap and spending more in the long run upgrading. I just saw that he only brought up Warbonnet (a great hammock company btw), but wanted to make sure any newbie understood there were other options and I personnally think that the Hennessy is hard to beat when it comes to a total package with quality.

Great original post and can't agree more with the premise.
    yes, I have two hh, and I wish they'd come out with a bridge hammock.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Canahang View Post
    Part of me appreciates the OP's intention to help out new hangers and stop them from making the mistakes that we have all made. But isn't that part of the "initiation"?

The learning process is kind of a right of passage. And yes it sucks to spend money needlessly but it's also not wise for someone to jump headlong into something they're not sure they'll like. It's a learning curve. I think the members here at HF are here to provide guidance not tell anyone what to do. And I think the members really do a good job of that.
    This.

My .02? If possible, take a tent and go to a group hang. I've found that hangers are very patient with potential converts (as long as you're willing to take some ribbing about the tent), and you can see various suspension/protection/insulation methods as well. That way you can see if it even makes sense to you before dropping serious cash. I'm not going to drop hundreds on something that may not work for me, even if the resale value is high. I think we as hangers sometimes tend to lose sight of the fact that it just isn't for everyone. My son loves hammocks, my daughter doesn't, so guess what? On his backpacking trips we hang, and on hers we take the tent.

Please keep in mind that not everyone can "just save up." I've been saving up for a DH and it just hasn't happened because the car needs work, student loans need to be paid off, or the toilet broke, or my kids need dental work, or the basement flooded. I'm a frugal person and right now all extras are going to things that are higher priority. My decision, yes, but them's the breaks.

Besides, it's fun talking to the Johns out there. I'm still a John. So when you see me out there with my tablecloth hammock, homemade whoopies, harbor freight straps and backpacking pad, it doesn't necessarily mean I'm a newbie.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast