Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images

Most Comfortable GE Hammock...EVER

Let me start by qualifying the title to this thread. This is the most comfortable Gathered End (GE) Hammock I have ever had or tried. I know this is a subjective thing and my preferences may not be yours…

A little info about me and my recent history with Hammock Camping…

My preferences are driven by these factors. I’m a big healthy guy. I’m a side sleeper and while being in a hammock is a heck of a lot more comfortable than a tent, I still have difficulty getting more than 2hrs of sleep unless I am totally exhausted from hiking. Then I can usually get 6-7 hrs sleep on my back. I have a hard time sleeping on my side in a GE hammock. My shoulders get squeezed and it’s too uncomfortable to maintain sleep.

Here are the hammocks I have owned in the last year:
    1. ENO Double nest
    2. 11ft Dutch Nylon D
    3. WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    4. 11Ft Dream Hammock 1.6 Argon
    5. Several 1.9 Ripstops at 11 to 12.5 feet.
    6. Dble layer 1.3 Ripstop
    7. 12ft x 90” wide tablecloth hammock
    8. 11.5ft x 69” wide HyperD XL
    9. Bridge By V_Allen HF member
    10. 11.75ft x 65” wide Hex70 XL

Plus, I’ve tried an 11ft Hammeck and SLD Lair at group hangs. So, I honestly think I’ve tried enough high quality products to have an informed/educated opinion.

The most comfortable Hammock I’ve ever been in is my V_Allen bridge. I had him put a pocket in the bottom for my Klymit Insulated pad. That easily gets me down to 30 degrees which works great in the South. However, at a total wt. of 52oz it’s too heavy for backpacking. So, it’s my ‘go to’ when car camping. Here are pics of this set up at the 2015 Texas Fall Hang:
    TX Fall Hang2.jpg
    TX Fall Hang1.jpg

With regards to the GE hammock, I have found the Klymit Insulated V air mattress to SIGNIFICANTLY enhance the comfort in a hammock (I have a nice UQ, but other than keeping me warm, it does not improve the comfort in a hammock). But when I try and turn on my side the mattress moves and I get a cold shoulder or CBS. That led me to make a DL with the pad in the middle. No help. Also silicon drops on the bottom didn’t help. Move on to an SPE. That was a step in the right direction. But it still did not let me turn completely on my side with long-term (3-5 hrs) comfort for sleeping. Everything shifted when I shifted.

Then I remembered seeing something from Hammock Bliss. They include a pocket for a CCF pad in the hammock. But it is not big enough to put a 2-3 inch tall air mattress. Also, being a big guy, having only 20”-23” wide mattress meant ‘no room for error’ when tossing and turning at night. Sooooo… Here you go. The most comfortable GE Hammock for this Side Sleeping Big Guy:

GE_SPE1.jpg
    GE_SPE2.jpg
    GE_SPE3.jpg

The Hammock body is 2.2 Hex70 from RBTR. The foam sides are 3/8" 2lb density; 9" wide and 40" long. The length is 11'9", the width 65.5"; The weight of the hammock including whoopies, fronkey bug net, and bishop bag is 27oz. The ridge line is 115". The weight also includes a large mesh gear pocket on the ridge line and a large pocket attached to the outside at the head end (not pictured).

I've had three people lay in this new design. All three have camped with GE hammocks and are converted ground dwellers. They all agree that it represents a new and improved comfort level in a GE hammock.

I put this here in case there are others still searching for more options for a better nights sleep in the woods. Happy New Year to y'all!!
    Last edited by Texas Hanger; 01-04-2016 at 10:54.
    Failure is a good friend you will meet on the road to success. Just remember, he will give the best directions...

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    What is the new design? On the pictures it looks just like a standard gathered end hammock with a SPE. Is the SPE sewn to the hammock?

For what it's worth: try out the Hammock Bliss Sky Bed if you can. I wouldn't really call it a gathered end, because it is shaped and cut for the pad.

Hammock
    DIY 11',65W;V-Allen Bridge
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    What is the new design? On the pictures it looks just like a standard gathered end hammock with a SPE. Is the SPE sewn to the hammock?

For what it's worth: try out the Hammock Bliss Sky Bed if you can. I wouldn't really call it a gathered end, because it is shaped and cut for the pad.
    Thanks hutzelbein. Yes that is correct. The SPE is sewn directly on the hammock body. The 'new' part of this design is two fold.
    First making the pocket big enough for a thicker better insulated mattress.
    Second, bringing many current design elements together in one hammock. They include longer, wider, knotty mod, SPE, and sewn in pockets to keep your insulation under you when shifting.

The only GE hammocks with an air mattress pocket are the Right Angle ones from Dramr and Exped. And those probably aren't even GE...
    Failure is a good friend you will meet on the road to success. Just remember, he will give the best directions...

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Can you feel any of the seams? I have been thinking about something similar but stopped because of fear for "high" seams if used without the pad.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Hanger View Post
    The only GE hammocks with an air mattress pocket are the Right Angle ones from Dramr and Exped. And those probably aren't even GE...
    No, the Amok Draumr and Exped Ergo are not gathered end hammocks. The Ergo probably is a 45° hammock, the Draumr a 90° hammock.

However, there is at least one gathered end hammock with a sewn in pad sleeve: the Pak-It-Lite.

My guess is, that while a pad sleeve in a gathered end hammock might be a great idea individually, it's difficult to make it work in a commercial, one-size-fits-all hammock. Depending on body size and girth as well as different preferences, people lie in their hammocks in different places and varying angles. For example a short person is able to lie a lot more diagonally than a tall person. You also have to be very accurate when you hang the hammock, because you can't compensate for hanging the head end a bit higher or lower by moving around in the hammock. That's one of the draw-backs of the Hammock Bliss Sky Bed.

However, it's great that you were able to design your perfect hammock! It certainly looks comfy!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    No Snowball. I do not feel any of the seams.

A key part of this system is the Klymit mattress design. Its flexibility works better in a hammock vs the more typical tube mattress. I tried this first with a BA mattress and it was too stiff. Even after letting some air out.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    Klymt Ins V AirMat
    Suspension
    Whoopi Slings
    Images
    Hutzelbein,

Thanks again for your thoughts. I had not looked at the Pak it Lite system in a long time. So your link intrigued me. On their website it describes a 4 season system using a dl hammock with sewn channels for a ccf pad and side panels for clothing to act as extra insulation. Not sure if a 3" tall air mattress would fit if it was designed for 1/2" tall ccf pad.

As far as the commercialization of this idea, you might be right. It's a niche within a niche. But in this DIY forum, it might offer others impetus to experiment with something a little different.

Thanks again for taking the time to provide insight.

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    I like the idea of you hammock, especially useful as many areas in the UK you will go to ground and having a pad is necessary.

I made a double layer with polyester and a original thermarest and it was supremely comfortable (too noisy so sold it) but I may just have go give your design a bash as it solves the shifting and folding I hate in a double layer
    Success doesn't come to you, you go to it.

Hammock
    Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Inc. 20/Bur. 30
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Von Porkchop View Post
    I like the idea of you hammock, especially useful as many areas in the UK you will go to ground and having a pad is necessary.

I made a double layer with polyester and a original thermarest and it was supremely comfortable (too noisy so sold it) but I may just have go give your design a bash as it solves the shifting and folding I hate in a double layer
    If for some reason you need a DL just sew the two layers together and stitch across then you will get a pocket like TH but with access from the edge.
    If there is nothing left to learn it’s time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    LSOH Warrior Edge
    Tarp
    OES MacCat
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I have the Hammock Bliss Sky Bed and love it for Spring thru Fall but when winter hits I switch to my Dutchware Dobby with an underquilt. Your hammock looks good and should get you pretty low in temps. Let us know if you have any condensation issues with that and the temps you take it down to.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast