SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images

Winter Haven 4-Season Tarp

Guys,
    This tarp looks a bit odd to me in the way the tarp is laid out. It looks like when the doors are closed the bottom of the tarp really takes away a lot of the room in the tarp. I have a Warbonnet Ridgerunner and I'm wondering if it will fit in this tarp the way it is cut. Any ideas. Any of your guys have this tarp with the WBRR? Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy-S and SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Some WL and UGQ
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Images
    I have a winter Haven, and have had a Kelty Noah, 3 WBSF's, and 2 Wilderness Logics OMW's. The Kelty is sort of your entry level 4 season tarp. All the rest are very similar. My SLD tarp is the widest of them, even with cat cuts, by a few inches. But Jared made it with 1.4 silnylon, so it's a few ounces heavier than the Superfly and the OMW.

Otherwise, the three cottage tarps are all outstanding and similar in quality and function.

This is just a theory, but I'm wondering if your concerns are based on some of the photos on the SLD web site. There are a couple where the doors are closed that make it seem very tiny inside. I can assure you this is an optical illusion. The sides of the tarp are similar length.

Or it could be because many of the other vendors photos show their tarps' doors staked to the ground, whereas a couple of the photos of the Winter Haven show the doors overlapping and attached to the opposite corner tie out, which makes it look smaller inside.

But I'm 6'5", and I close the doors on all my winter tarps that way, because I find that the easiest way to open and close them in the middle of the night, and they all have similar functional space inside then when closed.

You can't go wrong with any of these tarps.

If I were to buy a new winter tarp now, I'd pick an SLD WH, with one of the 1.1 ish fabrics. It's likely he'll have the tarp in the mail the very next day. And it will be amazing.

Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    +1 on the Winter Haven. Well made, packable and the doors work great. I did a pole mod for extra room.
    Hash browns and bacon strips , I like the way you lick your lips

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Or, you can have 2qzq add doors to just about any tarp, and they put a vestibule style on there that increases you're covered floorspace. Note that you're right that the way the doors come in on a lot of winter tarps (incl superfly), they do take up some of the covered footprint, reducing floorspace. If I had to do over, I'd get a 10' tarp with the vestibule doors - the shorter tarp to fit into more places, with the doors negating the lack of coverage from the shorter tarp.

In this pic, I've got the doors pulled in somewhat in order that my stakes weren't too close to the trees. The vestibule doors can actually add some length to the tarp, and even be tied around the trees in some cases.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

• + New Posts