Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top Quilt ?

Top Quilt ?

I do not sleep on my back. Would it be better if I purchased a wider TQ since I am a side sleeper as well as a thrasher at times. Also I may use it to go to ground if needed.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Bling
    I went with an extra wide tq for that reason. When I'm on my side I have plenty to tuck under me. The slight weight and size increase is well worth it in my opinion.

Hammock
    Hennessy Jungle Expedition Zip
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    I hadn't thought about the fact a little wide might help a ton with a side sleeper. I am a side sleeper in bed, but find I normally sleep well on my back in the hammock (although I usually at some point will roll to the side for a bit). I might have to get a wide if that is in fact what people suggest.

Thanks

Hammock
    Wbbb xlc
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I use a regular width hg burrow if I slept on my side or moved alot I would want a wide for sure. But the standard is just wide enough for me to lay on my side the little bit I do
    PacRat stay SAFE

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    I thought I measured good when I chose my width & length for my top quilt, but when I used it, it turned out to be longer and wider than I thought. At first I thought about the weight and bulk I had inadvertently added on, but now as I use it in colder weather I think it probably works better because of it. It stands up a bit, creating an additional airspace between me and the quilt. It's roomy, and yes, I can sleep figure four, fetal, etc. I say go for it, but know it'll pack a little bulkier because of it

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    I would suggest mocking up a trial blanket or quilt to help you decide. Use a bunch of clips or even tape, and try out the size you are thinking of. Take it into your hammock, toss/turn, see how much you have to tuck in, try it out on the ground, give it a good try and live with it for a while. You will be able to figure it out soon enough what size works best for you. A quilt is too big of a $ purchase to leave entirely up to guess work.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Measure your girth (below shoulders around the arms back chest) and that should tell you what width size will work. I am at 52" loosely so the small width quilts should fully wrap me
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

Thanks everyone for your help.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by biggy View Post
    I went with an extra wide tq for that reason. When I'm on my side I have plenty to tuck under me. The slight weight and size increase is well worth it in my opinion.
    Ditto. Both my cold weather quilts (0° & 20°) are 56" wide for that reason. It's never reallty been an issue in a hammock though as the sloped sides really help make the seal. Does help a ton if you go to ground though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    Dutch 1.6 Hex's
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Loco TQ/UQ + sock
    Suspension
    Dutch bling
    I too am a side sleeper in addition to flopping around. I went with a wide for just this reason.
    There is a big difference between warm enough not to die and warm enough to be comfortable. - Grumpy Squatch

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast