Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Eno Double nest
    Insulation
    DIY pod, Big Agnes
    Suspension
    DIY straps, atlas

If you could turn back time...

Now I hope at least one of you has Cher stuck in their head.

If have grasped one thing from the countless posts I have dug through here, it's that everything about your hammock setup is incredibly personal and really user specific. There seem to be tons of quality brands out there, all offering top of the line products, and most people are really loyal to the ones that work well for them. I have read tons of comparisons and recommendations of all of the heavy hitting favorites and have come to the conclusion that I will just have to try them alll for myself! The only universal truths I have found here so far are the ultimate hang is a great resource book, Shug makes killer videos, and you can never have enough Dutch titanium.

I'm a buy once, cry once kinda gal, and I already know that I want to keep a quiver of hammocks and gear for different reasons (like I do with kites). I guess what I would like to hear about first is if you could go back to when you really started getting into hammocks, what would you do differently (if anything) and why? Sure, I'm bound to make some of my own mistakes, but I would LOVE to learn from some of yours instead!

...and yes, an UQ is first on my shopping list!
    Last edited by Tortie; 01-01-2016 at 23:18.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I did the ccf pad, space blanket, postage-stamp tarp and HH Asym Zip hammock for a couple of years - wish I wouldn't have wasted my time. Pads suck, skimpy tarps suck, and too-short hammocks suck.

I much prefer my current setup, which hasn't changed much in the last few years.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Welcome to hammocking and HammockForums, from Florida.

Agreed, a large tarp is for me due to Florida storms popping up from a beautiful and sunny afternoon. Then, swoosh, wind from every direction. Yup, a tarp with doors is for me, AND I have been wanting to like a Asym or Hex tarp.

That, and I wish a Fronkey bugnet was available when I first started. Maybe a Half-Wit style bugnet is next to see which I like better.

I DIY so the cost is minimal to me.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I started and still have Hennessey products, that I would not change as I still do use them when bug season is around which is a LOT in No. VA.

I also started with CCF pad and SPE which I would not bother with. Spend once/cry once would have been better. I now have JRB quilts and would buy them all over again.

Knots. I learned to tie a bunch of different ones and while I still use them, I wish I had just moved on to Dutchware earlier. Would have saved me a whole lot of learning curve with my knots.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    11' Dutch, Yukon, ENO, and more
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    multiple setups
    Images
    put Dutchware on your favorites list and you can't go wrong!!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I think I would have bought my current set up right off the bat instead of trying to save money or trying settle. When I do this I end up buying twice.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    Dutchware Bonded
    Insulation
    Enlightened / HG
    Suspension
    HG Daisy Chain
    Images
    Wellcome, welcome!!! I guess if I could go back my biggest regret is starting out purchasing what I thought was the "best" Gear from large company stores like Rei, Campsaver, Ems, etc...They are great for some items but I regret not saving the money and just getting the best first. Your going to spend more but you won't find any more quality than the vendors listed in this forum. Most of these guys (families) will even email and answer phones on the weekend. That's service you can't find anywhere else.
    Second regret is buying without taking weight into account. I purchased so much Gear when I started out based on reviews, looks and price that I never really noticed how heavy everything is till you added it all up for a trip. Since then I've become such a 'gram weenie' but in the end my hiking experience is so much better without the heavy pack. Biggest advice is save up for quality Gear, use the vendors on the forum, don't be afraid to ask questions and most of all...Have fun with it. I enjoy the Hammock community and love spending time personalizing and talking Gear. My setup I'm running now is:
    Dream Hammock Roaming gnome 72"
    Enlightened Equipment top Quilt
    Hammock Gear UQ
    OES McCat Silpro Tarp
    ULA Ohm pack / Zimmerbuilt Custom Pack
    Dutch Bling out the rear....
    Oh, and follow Shugs videos

Hammock
    Dutch , DIY, Nano
    Tarp
    HH Hex,BCUSA 12x10
    Insulation
    PLUQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I'm a gearhead to begin with so part of the fun is playing with new gear and figuring out what works best. That said, if I could do it over, I would have straight out got my current setup. Dutch netless, HG Phoenix 20 with 2oz overstuff, bcusa 10x12 tarp, fronky bug net, diy Costco layered top quilts and various dutchware bling. For me, it works perfectly.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    LLG Habanero UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Ccf instead of the UQ but at least it wasn't a bunch of money out the window and it helped to get me started...
    I bought the Mamajamba tarp rather than just buying a Superfly, thinking I would just add the door kit later for the winter... Didn't realize the advantage of the door coverage when the tarp is set up in porch mode. The Mamajamba is a great summer, throw it in your pack just in case, tarp but it lacks the coverage needed for the real down pours here in Oregon.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    I still consider myself new, but I do wish I had gotten tarp snake skins when I got the tarp. My sister wouldn't have been as entertained during windy set ups, but my life would have been easier.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast