Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I've done lots of DIY building of tarps, hammocks, tarp skins, bug nets, and quilts. I also own some commercial versions of tarps, quilts, and hammocks. If I had it to do over not sure I would change much. My son and I use all the commercial gear I've bought. And we loan out all the DIY stuff.

Hammock
    To many
    Tarp
    To many
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 + oth
    Suspension
    Buckles
    Images
    Budget not being an issue, I would not change anything I've done. Each purchase is a learning experience. To me there's no such thing as perfect gear for all the time, just gear that's right @ a particular moment in time. What's perfect today is not tomorrow. What I like is different than what someone else likes. I don't buy used gear therefore I do not sell used gear. I give a lot to my Grandboys. With what I have I'm good for whatever temp that I want to camp in. Bugs or no bugs. Big tarp for cold or stormynight to postage stamp to just keep dew & spiders off. It's a hobby for me that's cheaper than golf.

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    I wouldnt have changed much. What works for some, is hated by others.
    "There's a whisper on the night-wind, there's a star agleam to guide us, And the Wild is calling, calling . . . let us go." -from "The Call of the Wild" by Robert Service
    My Trail log: http://ducttapeadk.blogspot.com/

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    i came up through evolution, having discarded some intermediate species along the way. as mentioned by others, this list includes pads and modified sleeping bags, blankets, etc.

IF I STARTED TODAY, knowing what i know now, i would go.....

Dutch 11 foot hammock w/ ridgeline.
    Dutch web/clip/whoopee-hook/spider suspension
    12 foot cuben tarp.
    0* full length UQ and TQ
    3lb or less pack

for bug protection, i'd get a dream hammock.

i've done all the mods and such. some of it was necessity in years past; some of it, just hard headed sometimes.

in the end it's just easier to go with what works. the above is my core right now, and i've had a good while now to get it together, including plenty of time and years to try pretty much everything in one form or another.

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    for starters....
    I wish I just went ahead and bought the full rolls of ZingIt/LashIt (in both sizes) and amsteel.

I wish (and it's still on my list) that I had gone to a group hang. Since everything is so personal, it requires some trial, which for me came in the form of some DIY tablecloths, and more purchases (many of which have since been sold or given away). How else would I know if I prefer a stretchier or stiffer hammock body fabric? Even a group hang wouldn't be the perfect answer since I find it generally requires a couple of days to figure out how you truly feel about the purchase, but I think it could have taken at least SOME of the initial guesswork away.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I have a lot of gear and few regrets. I made some bad purchases on the for sale forum. I don't seem to part with anything though. Most expensive purchases are my favorites. Love my 0 degree quilt set and Cuben Fiber tarps from Hammock gear. Everything I have gotten from Warbonnet is treasured, 4 hammocks, two tarps, spindrift and two tarps. I have a Simply Light Designs hammock that I will never part with. I have a new Shelltawee Boone hammock that has become my goto hammock for winter. I love the coverage of my Wilderness Logics big daddy. Everything from JRB is great but my favorite is the stool and the pillow.

I would say my only real regret is some things I didn't get. A warbonnet El dorado hammock, OES Cuben Fiber tarp, and the Speer snug fit quilt would be high on that list.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    Like some of the posts above I don't know that I would have changed much. Every purchase was part of my learning experience and there is a lot of value in that, at least to me. I do wish I had discovered Dutchwaregear.com sooner. My first hammock was an ENO DN (which I still have). I thought I was starting out cheap to figure out whether or not hanging was for me only to discover the hammock offerings from Dutch are both less money AND more comfortable. Still, I'm glad I got the ENO so I can appreciate the comfort of my newer hammocks even more.

My one purchase that I sort of regret is my Yukon Outfitters Double hammock. Marketed as an 11.5 foot hammock for under $25 I had to try it. Actual measurements put it less than 10 feet long and awfully similar to the ENO. That's okay though. They make great lounging hammocks when car camping and I don't have to worry about my kids destroying my nice hammocks now.

The funny thing is my brother has started hanging this year and try as I did to persuade him to start with an 11' hammock he still bought a 9.5' hammock to start with. He now regrets that but again, it's part of the journey and the joy in discovering what works for you. After not listening to me on the hammock recomendation he listened on the underquilt.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I enjoyed and am still enjoying the fun of hammock trials and tribulations. Same goes for stoves, backpacks, camp and hiking clothes, boots, meals, cameras, doo-dads and whatnots and all the accoutrement collected through the comfort quest. Money and time well spent. Fun, excercise, places revealed, self discovery, mad money spent, life changing. Would not change a thing.
    Shug the Sap
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Quote Originally Posted by Tortie View Post
    Now I hope at least one of you has Cher stuck in their head.

If have grasped one thing from the countless posts I have dug through here, it's that everything about your hammock setup is incredibly personal and really user specific. There seem to be tons of quality brands out there, all offering top of the line products, and most people are really loyal to the ones that work well for them. I have read tons of comparisons and recommendations of all of the heavy hitting favorites and have come to the conclusion that I will just have to try them alll for myself! The only universal truths I have found here so far are the ultimate hang is a great resource book, Shug makes killer videos, and you can never have enough Dutch titanium.

I'm a buy once, cry once kinda gal, and I already know that I want to keep a quiver of hammocks and gear for different reasons (like I do with kites). I guess what I would like to hear about first is if you could go back to when you really started getting into hammocks, what would you do differently (if anything) and why? Sure, I'm bound to make some of my own mistakes, but I would LOVE to learn from some of yours instead!

...and yes, an UQ is first on my shopping list!
    Great. Now no one needs to read this forum! You've said it all!

Welcome to the forum!

I have to say, I a buy once, cry once kind of gal too, and what I did was just read and reread everything, repeatedly, comparing it to what I know about me, and noted which things said resonated with me. I have used a sleeping bag peapod style for two years (tried the pad I had laying around once after the first year - never again, not for me) and am waiting on a new underquilt that I know I'll love because I tried someone else's.

My only regrets are: not giving Papasmurf my correct address the first time he sent my hammock (what a patient man!) - that turned out to be more expensive than it needed to be, and not buying everything two years ago when the Canadian dollar was worth more than the USD, and things were slightly cheaper, but then, I didn't have the money either. Other than that, perhaps I've been lucky, but I think I've made some very sound choices so far, but I'm still building my kit, which is listed on the left there. I'm sure there's a lesson in there somewhere for you. Haha!

Happy Hanging!
    Last edited by Singingcrowsings; 01-02-2016 at 00:55.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast