WBBB XLC, Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    AHE JB, HG, UQP
    Suspension
    WB Stock, Dutch

WBBB Sock

I have the top cover for the XLC. Does the top cover do the same thing as the sock?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Partly. The main task of both a top cover and a sock is to keep warm air in the hammock. But since the sock encloses the complete hammock, including underquilt, it also keeps the warmth in the underquilt. So the sock offers a bit more protection. But you can always add an underquilt protector to your hammock with top cover. That will take care of the underquilt. However, I have the feeling, that a sock is a bit more effective than a top cover plus UQP.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    What hutzelbein said. If it is windy you want to place your tarp at a 90 degree angle to the wind so the wind is hitting the tarp on the side and not going thru it as any wind going thru the tarp can suck the warmth out of the UQ and the inside of the the hammock even with a UQP and or Top cover on. My first experience with this was when I was testing some new gear in my Secret Hammock Institute of Testing in my back yard when the wind picked up. The wind would blow thru and suck the warmth out of my TQ and UQ and I would suffer instant CBS and CTS ( Cold Top Syndrome ) at the same time. The wind would stop and I would toasty again...then the wind would blow thru again. After 30 minutes of this I went inside and ordered a sock.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, Clark NX-270
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    AHE JB, HG, UQP
    Suspension
    WB Stock, Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    What hutzelbein said. If it is windy you want to place your tarp at a 90 degree angle to the wind so the wind is hitting the tarp on the side and not going thru it as any wind going thru the tarp can suck the warmth out of the UQ and the inside of the the hammock even with a UQP and or Top cover on. My first experience with this was when I was testing some new gear in my Secret Hammock Institute of Testing in my back yard when the wind picked up. The wind would blow thru and suck the warmth out of my TQ and UQ and I would suffer instant CBS and CTS ( Cold Top Syndrome ) at the same time. The wind would stop and I would toasty again...then the wind would blow thru again. After 30 minutes of this I went inside and ordered a sock.
    This is very interesting. I was always under the assumption that a good tarp, TQ, and UQ was all a hanger needed for the winter. Gunner and Hutzelbein you added some great additional thoughts. This gives me a month to get my order in before the winter hang in Feb. I'm definately going to put my gear through some testing this week before I make my final decision on what to purchase.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Like any piece of gear, socks are not perfect. Many folks recommend using a canvas sock once the temps drop below a certain temp as it breathes better and reduces moisture build up. I have used my War Bonnet sock with the door partially open to help vent the inside and so far it has worked, Of course it rarely gets that cold around here ( 9 degrees here since I started hanging ) so I get limited cold weather testing in my area.

You can hang in the winter with out a sock if you can find an area sheltered from the wind, get the tarp low enough to block the wind, close the tarp doors ect. I have seen videos / pictures of hangers set up in the snow who build up the snow around their setup to act as a wind block. There are just so many variables that come into play, site selection, weather, gear ect.

Mabrown730...I see you have a BB XLC so if you get a sock, make sure it will work with a 11 ft hammock.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dutch Hex 1.0 11' foot
    Tarp
    Purple Xenon DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Hab
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by msudawg View Post
    I certainly see your point and agree that the omni tape velcro has an incredibly strong grab. I will weigh the sock and extenders to see how they compare to what Brandon has listed for the XL. I do like the drawstring closures on the extenders vs. just the omni tape which is probably the reason for the change to the socks. In the end, my choice was based on having multiple sized hammocks and since I live in Mississippi, I use the net more than the sock and the extenders with the similar sized net and sock allow me a variety of options. After reading your posts, I will certainly watch for the snags and pulls you mention. Thanks!
    I have had more opportunities to use the sock with extenders and it works great. I now just leave them on and with the drawstring on the extenders, no snags. The grab is so strong, I will break the cord before they come undone from the omnitape. If I use e shorter hammock, I can just take the extenders off after I get it set up. They probably weigh less than an ounce.

I got one of the new WB Travel Socks yesterday.

No cinch cord. Just a slit.

My pics disappeared but here are new ones.

I clipped it right to my cinch buckle with a small S-biner. It is perfect with just the right amount of tension to rest on my Traveler hammock's ridge line. This is one of the huge benefits of getting all your components from one house - all yer chit fits like they were meant to be

You can leave it connected to the hammock and pack everything in the large stuff sack the sock came in. It appears that they meant to give you extra room in the big stuff sack in order to do so. You could thus store and put the thing up already "assembled" and simply hook in your UQ after set up. In a way, it is also like a storage snake, or "pig", because you could leave all your sleeping gear/UQ in it, all zipped up, and put it away like that.

I used it with a WB Traveler hammock. The simple crescent shaped zipper design in deceptive in that it works ridiculously well. It allows venting at the "top" but still opens completely to essentially have a half cover that is extremely open and provides near total open access to your hammock - like there was no sock at all.

Open.

Closed.
    Last edited by alukban; 02-09-2016 at 14:21.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12