Tarp
    12' DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Synthetic UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    strap + mule tape
    Images

knotty zing-it question

I have never tried zing-it, but I am thinking about it. I know that a lot of folks are into the Dutch gizmos. Nothing wrong with that… some of them are quite ingenious. But I guess I am an old fuddy dud. I like a good old knot. That way there is never anything to lose, forget, bend, or break.

I know that zing-it is slippery and does not work well with certain knots. I am wondering how well it would do with a trucker's hitch. Any other knots that are known to work ok with it?

Thanks!
    Last edited by BanjoPicker; 12-31-2015 at 15:37.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    LLG Habanero UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    A truckers hitch works alright... As does a tautline and other such sliding knots. Many times you just have to throw in an extra hitch to help the knot out. They will slip a bit here and there but mostly fine. Its easy to work with and make whoopies and things also for tarp use. If I want to use it on a tarp without hardwear, I usually just put a loop in one end and bury the other end so it doesn't fray and then just put the loop on the eye of the tarp and use a clove hitch at the stake.
    If you wanna use knots though you really are better off with a rope that has just a little more diameter... Something like the nite-ize rope. It takes knots very well and has the reflection deal going for it, and it's not real heavy either.

Hammock
    Various DIY; Fronkey Bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY/Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Dyneema/Evo Loops
    I've used zing-it and knots to rig my tarp like Brandon shows in this video. Slipped buntline on one end and a slipped trucker's hitch on the other. It work very well and didn't slip on me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHuUmNOwBAw
    Last edited by Wkerber; 12-31-2015 at 17:15.
    Bill

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I like knots, especially for tarps. Everyone has their own favorite knots. When choosing my favorite knots: they should meet as many of these specs as possible. Tied in the bight without the need to access either end. Quick release. Non-jamming. Easy to tie--can be tied in the dark. And knots that are tied one time and simply adjusted.
    With all that in mind, my favorite knots are: farrimond friction hitch, marlin spike hitch, prusik, larks head, alpine butterfly loop, kalmyk loop, siberian hitch with extra wrap, octagone hitch, and peanut butter and jam knot-coming soon on my new video.
    There are lots of great knots that I don't even know. As long as a knot works for you is all that matters!

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Also check this thread
    Essential Outdoor Knots, according to Rat!
    And Shug's Phillipino packing knot will be secure and non-jamming.
    Most campers that don't like knots have tied knots that jammed enough to have to cut their lines. Even a slip knot can jam, especially if the slipped bight has twisted cord. If a knot has jammed sometimes it can be worked loose with a smooth tapered spike. And you can put the jammed knot between two layers of paper or cloth and placed on a hard surface and step on it or tap it with a hammer or smooth stone. We've all tied knots that jammed and I avoid knots that have jammed when possible. Good luck!

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    I like to use the perfection knot on the ends of my 2mm zing it. I can attach a ring, dutch hook, or just to the loop in the tarp. It took me tying it multiple times to figure out how to attach anything. It's a hard knot to tie but strong and will not slip. I have untied a few also. you just have to work the right loop to loosen it up. I'm going to do a tutorial...

• + New Posts