In your browser, on the left holding this pose in real-time, for your amusement
    Hammock
    WBBBH (summer) and WBTH (3 season)
    Tarp
    Not blown away yet
    Insulation
    UQ Connoisseur
    Suspension
    Fig-9's no huggers
    Images

fireproofing fabrics

I am looking at making a tyvek hammock tarp out of homewrap.

I was looking into a few fire retardant spray products that can be applied to
    fabrics. Has anyone seen or use this product?:
    http://www.flame-safe.com/Flame_Safe...bric_safe.html

Following the directions by the manufacturer. The applied spray is fairly heavy,
    adding 0.4oz per sq/ft if you follow the manufacturers recommendations to the letter. But it achieves some fairly impressive fire retardant standards. That just seems like so much weight. Does it go on like a laquer or something? With that kind of weight
    penalty, I could just spray on an elastometric paint and at least get the tyvek to a solid color of my choosing.

The reason I am looking at such a product, is I am looking to install a chimney jack for a small woodstove under the tyvek tarp, and I thought a product such as this would be good insurance against any sparks out the flue pipe. ( I do plan to use a spark arrestor also)

I am also thinking of treating the hammock fabric due to proximity to the stove under the tarp.

Anyone with this kind of experience?
    Last edited by turk; 05-27-2007 at 20:37.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Never had the balls to try anything like that...I do cook while sitting in my hammock and under my tarp, but I always make sure to keep the heat (and especially the flame) well away from the nylon. I'm not sure even Tyvek could be made sufficiently resistant to soothe my overactive imagination
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Oooooo.... A Tyvek hammock. That's one of those projects on my To-do list. I have wondered about Tyvek's weight bearing properties. Be sure to post some pics and give us a report on how that turns out.

I don't know about the whole stove under the hammock thing, but give it s shot if you think it would work. I hope chemically treating the Tyvek won't weaken the material.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Big MJ
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, HR & MW4
    Images

Try the theatrical industry...

Theatrical suppliers also offer flameproofing treatments. This is the stuff we use for our synthetic draperies.

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    I have tons of Tyvek that my neighbor gets me from construction sites, maybe I should make a tyvek hammock tomorrow and let ya'll know how it handles. I'm pretty sure that it will be loud though, tyvek crunches a lot. I'll post pics in the morning
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    On second thought a tyvek hammock would keep in moisture, it might not be that bad though. Turk though is looking how to fireproof a tyvek tarp. And besides this spray on stuff, I would have no idea how. Sorry
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

• + New Posts