WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images

twelve (12') foot versus eleven (11') foot tarp?

it's hard searching for "11' versus 12' tarps" since the search engine requires more letters. i've been wondering, does anyone regret having a twelve (12') foot tarp with their 11' hammock? i have an 11' warbonnet superfly that felt claustrophobic to me, so i bought a 12' tarp. i haven't used the 12' yet, but now i'm wondering if it's overkill.

my biggest concern is having to skip a good spot because the 12' tarp is too long, whereas an 11' tarp would've fit fine. but thinking back to places i've hung, i don't recall ever having trees that close together, so maybe it's not that big a deal?

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    I use the 12 foot WL Big Daddy tarp with an 11 foot hammock. Granted, I don't hammock camp nearly as much as others, but so far no issues.
    "We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love.... and then we return home."
    Australian Aboriginal Proverb

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    there's only a 6" difference on either end between an 11' and 12' tarp, so i didn't think it would be that big a deal breaker in finding a spot to hang. wondering if others had differing experiences with their twelve footer.

Quote Originally Posted by novasquid View Post
    there's only a 6" difference on either end between an 11' and 12' tarp, so i didn't think it would be that big a deal breaker in finding a spot to hang. wondering if others had differing experiences with their twelve footer.
    I have made a few 12 foot tarps. and now that is all that I use. In terms of weight savings, the difference is insignificant to me. and in terms of finding trees, I do not see the 1 ft difference ever posing a problem. I like the peace of mind of having the extra protection. I camped out on some rainy days this last year, and I never got wet.

Hammock
    Amok Draumr XL
    Tarp
    Cave Creek Hammock
    Insulation
    Amok Fjøl XL
    Suspension
    Amok suspension
    12' isn't a problem for me. as noted above, it's 6" either side - and I love the extra room!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock- 10' Sparrow
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG 20*Burrow/Incub
    Suspension
    Straps/Carabiners
    Images
    This is a dilemma I am fighting with now. I am ordering a sparrow in 11', and thinking a 12' tarp would be good for it.

Hammock
    Dutch 11 Single Nylon
    Tarp
    cuben
    Insulation
    40* down, full.
    Suspension
    Dyneema straps.
    i hammock camp a lot, usually in heavily wooded areas. from mountain tops [mostly] to bottom areas.

i've never had an issue. in spaces too tight for the 12 i wouldn't have considered the 11 either. such areas are usually overgrown with saplings and scrub, in addition to the close proximity anchor trees.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    it's funny, i got continuous loops and strap anchors for my suspension in order to hang in trees as close as 10' apart, then i go out and get a 12' tarp. but then even an 11' tarp wouldn't fit in between trees 10' apart.

I've got an 11' hex tarp and a 12' winter tarp that I use 10' hammocks with. The amount of extra room with the winter tarp really comes in handy during the snow season, especially when you have to dig out lots of snow to make that perfect spot. I'm not really concerned about the difference in weight. I bring what I need based on seasonal conditions and the weather. The 11' tarp did come in handy on a summer trip when the weather started to turn and I had to set up fast. I tucked into some pines with a few inches to spare, but had plenty of hang space for my old eno.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...2&d=1376595389

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    If tarp too is too long to fit between close trees, you can hang one end higher and one end lower.
    And or you can fold under extra tarp on one end. You can put tie outs anywhere by larks head around tarp at a marble, smooth stone, sock or paper towel.
    Both of my guesses haven't been tried by me and they might interfere with doors and rain protection.
    While camping I've never set up on trees that were not spaced well--except at group hangs. Then you do asbestos you can! I like a large tarp.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast