DIY 11.5 ft
    Tarp
    DIY xenon sil 5300
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Solohammock View Post
    I've been thinking about making a set out of zing-it for just this reason... I've been using a CRL but I hate the sag in the center of the tarp. When I'm just hanging in my back yard I tie out each side separately and the sag is gone. I'm leaning toward just doing a couple lengths of zing-it with a Dutch hook on 1 side and small biner on the tarp side with a.... Forgot what their called right this sec but a bury in the center to connect the 2 lines... Like a whoopie but without the large loop on one side...
    Are you thinking of an utility constrictor rope (UCR)? As long as you keep tension on both ends of the bury it may be a possible option to test and it will use a lot less cordage than a WS (like Bubba mentioned). However, I'm sure it has been tried several times before by other members here and undoubtedly, they will chime in on the inadequacies of the UCR for this application.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dkesari View Post
    ok im a little confused by your comment that Whoopie slings don't work under tension. if they don't how do they hold up a hammock. Please explain Thanks
    I think you already got your answer from some of the replies, but I'll just add a bit. Whoopie slings can't really be adjusted when they're under tension - you would basically need three hands and you still probably couldn't adjust them. For hammocks, we don't adjust the whoopies under tension, but if you don't believe me, try adjusting a whoopie sling with somebody laying in the hammock. It will be an exercise in futility.

I also tried to use whoopie slings on my tarp and that's how I discovered they don't work. And I always carry a couple of continuous loops for the whoopie slings on my hammock to lengthen the suspension when necessary so I can adjust the whoopies. When I first started using whoopie slings on my hammock, I didn't understand why sometimes I couldn't adjust them. I was picking trees too far apart, and the whoopies were too tight to adjust. The continuous loops solve that problem - just larkshead them onto the end of your tree strap and you're good to go.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    SilvrSurfr is right. If a whoopie sling used as a tarp ridge line is tightened too tight then it can be tough to loosen.
    If you use whoopie slings as tarp ridge line--it might help to have a sheep shank in the middle of line to allow loosening. Even that can jam under tension. Maybe even better to put a toggle in marlin spike hitch in middle of line before tensioning whoopie sling. Remove toggle before loosening whoopie slings with the extra line from marlin spike hitch.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Some innovative hangers have used UCR as tarp ridge line, as well as prusiks and slip and grip hitches tied one time. Utility Constrictor Ropes--UCR do not have release-jamming problems as whoopie slings used as tarp ridge line.
    Suppose you used a whoopie sling as tarp ridge line. And you first tied an Alpine Butterfly Loop somewhere in the middle. And then inserted a smooth toggle in knot. After tightening ridge line-if it won't loosen, then tap the smooth toggle out of alpine butterfly loop. Then untie loose loop and now ridge line whoopie has enough slack to be loosened.
    Or watch my YouTube video
    Coffee Suspension- adjust a tarp line with ease
    If you like hardware, Dutch has most all of the best bling for hammocks and accessories.
    And there are also Loop Aliens.
    Good luck and have fun, virorum!

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    A year or two ago, there was a post--whoopie sling was used as tarp ridge line, it was tightened twang tight. It was stuck and would not loosen. I don't know if they were loosened successfully or if they had to be cut off. It can happen.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    LLG Habanero UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Yes gfstanley, I was thinking of a UCR... I've used them for some large tarps (made from 1/8" Amsteel) from all 4 corners and they worked well. I used a separate strap around the tree and used a biner to connect the UCR to the line around the tree so it can just be disconnected while it's under tension and then worked loose. They were not too tight to get loose, even with the weight of the 50' x 100' tarp we had hung. Just been thinking of making a couple out of Zing-it to try on the hammock tarp.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    After saying not to use whoopie slings as a tarp line or as part of a tarp line---I might have figured how to use whoopie sling as part of tarp line.
    If both tree knots are secure quick release knots it might be possible to to have whoopie sling twang tight and release the quick release knots from trees. Knots that could be tried are farrimond friction hitches, siberian hitches, and a knot similar to the knot GadgetUK347 used in his post
    Tree straps am I courting disaster.
    I've not tried this--it might work
    So just because we've never done it this way before does not always mean it can not be done.
    And if anyone can find a new way to do the job--it might be one of our own Hammock Forum hammock hangers.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I tied rope around tree with farrimond friction hitches (both trees, two separate ropes) and connected them with a whoopie sling. I could not get the test tarp line very tight. For me that is a fail. Others have tightened whoopie sling tarp lines so tight that they could not get them loosened. I had tied both trees with farrimond friction hitches tightened-cinched up to trees.
    I used FFH just in case the whoopie sling tightened twang tight and jammed. I was not able to tighten line twang tight as I had wanted. And the FFH were on both trees to have non jamming quick release in case the line had tightened twang tight.
    Lots of my guesses and experiments are in the trash heap--and the way for me to find if something works for me is to try it. YMMV

I don't get it. I understand using a WS or UCR in a pinch when that's all you have but why concentrate on how to make this a regular thing? Neither a WS nor UCR provide any mechanical advantage to get the ridge taut like some pieces of hardware and certain knots. Well, maybe there's some with a WS but certainly not with an UCR.

Am I missing some significant point?

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    TominMN I know you are right.
    My mock ridge line using a whoopie sling in the middle would not tighten, because as you said there is little or no mechanical advantage. I wanted to test it, to see if it would tighten twang tight and it was not. I was ready for it to jam by having both trees tied with quick release non-jamming farrimond friction hitches cinched close to trees. I wanted to check to see if there was something I was missing.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast