Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Many years ago I read an article in a backpacking magazine where some wildlife researchers in Alaska set up an experiment on a salmon stream well-used by grizzly bears. First, they set up a typical brightly-colored backpacking tent on the tundra, about a hundred yards from the stream. Then they hid on a distant hillside to watch. Each and every bear that came wading up the stream spotted the tent and went to investigate, sometimes trashing the tent in the process. There was no food in the tent.
    Then, they set up a camouflage-patterned tent in the same location. Most of the passing bears didn't even notice it, or if they did, just gave it a passing glance before continuing on their way.
    Bears or no bears, I'll stick with camo.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Wooki UQ; LL/HG TQ
    Suspension
    CL w/ Tensa 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
    Many years ago I read an article in a backpacking magazine where some wildlife researchers in Alaska set up an experiment on a salmon stream well-used by grizzly bears. First, they set up a typical brightly-colored backpacking tent on the tundra, about a hundred yards from the stream. Then they hid on a distant hillside to watch. Each and every bear that came wading up the stream spotted the tent and went to investigate, sometimes trashing the tent in the process. There was no food in the tent.
    Then, they set up a camouflage-patterned tent in the same location. Most of the passing bears didn't even notice it, or if they did, just gave it a passing glance before continuing on their way.
    Bears or no bears, I'll stick with camo.

Interesting! Makes me feel better about my propensity to gravitate towards a "drab" color palette in all things! I take a LOT of flack over that from my kids, but now I can inform them it's to avoid attracting bears!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I used to go drab and then I started thinking I might want to be found, or seen before a hiker wondered too close. And sometimes, if the weather is gray and dreary, bright colors ... brighten the day. When I discussed tarp color with a vendor, he pointed out that if I was weather bound, having a lighter color tarp might be preferable to black or dark olive. So I go back and forth. For the last UQ I ordered (WildernessLogics summer series) I asked for Orange on one side and Black on the other. In that case I have an orange "find me" color if I need it.

But these days camo is kind of fun. I don't fool myself, thinking that I'll be invisible. And I probably wouldn't pay for camo if the price difference was too high. If you are going out in the bush, you'll probably be alone anyway. If you are hanging in a more popular area, you may want people to KNOW you are there so they don't inadvertently wander through your site.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I used to go drab and then I started thinking I might want to be found, or seen before a hiker wondered too close. And sometimes, if the weather is gray and dreary, bright colors ... brighten the day. When I discussed tarp color with a vendor, he pointed out that if I was weather bound, having a lighter color tarp might be preferable to black or dark olive. So I go back and forth. For the last UQ I ordered (WildernessLogics summer series) I asked for Orange on one side and Black on the other. In that case I have an orange "find me" color if I need it.

But these days camo is kind of fun. I don't fool myself, thinking that I'll be invisible. And I probably wouldn't pay for camo if the price difference was too high. If you are going out in the bush, you'll probably be alone anyway. If you are hanging in a more popular area, you may want people to KNOW you are there so they don't inadvertently wander through your site.
    I definitely second the above statement! I must admit I am a bit nervous about being found if I want to be found. I have gone back to carrying a ELB. I find the grey days we have here in NW Oregon a drag, makes me sleepy. I hate waking up to grey, a bright happy tarp helps with I do not want to get out of my nest. My store bought UQ is camo on the outside and brilliant orange on the inside.

I was looking at the Cabela"s camo, wow it just keeps getting better. Really all in all my DIY camo done with cans of spay paint is the most effective.

Last week I was out at the river on a grey drizzly day. Spotted a guy with a huge telephoto lens taking photo's of an apartment on the other side of the river, a great distance away. The guy had on normal Oregon clothes, dark brown slacks, boots, medium brown jacket, Indiana Jones hat. He blended in perfectly, whomever he was photographing would never have realized they were being spied on, no camo nothing sneaky looking except where the camera was aimed.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Custom OT Setup
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Wow. Never really thought about any of this until I started thinking about selling my wbb for the new Dutch chameleon hammock. Hmm....

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG CF/doors
    Insulation
    UGQZeppelin/Bandit
    Suspension
    Huggers/Mule Tape
    Quote Originally Posted by SMJerry View Post
    Personally I do not like any of the Camo pattern gear. 21 years of wearing it for Uncle Sam knocked the fun out of camo for me.
    I go with green, blends in enough.. and the Christmas lights on the tarp are a give a way any way.
    Hang your own Hang!
    I'm with you on that! Wore it long enough I don't want it on my hammock!

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 ROBIC XL
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly CRL
    Insulation
    HG UQ 20 / TQ 30
    Suspension
    DIY CL/Mule Tape
    Images
    Been going back and forth on the camo for the next hammock. I think the camo hammocks look pretty sharp, but you end up covering it with an under quilt. Kinda kills the effect, unless you have a camo under quilt. My current choice has been charcoal gray. I get my color from the top quilt, Burnt Orange.
    TO EACH THEIR OWN....

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by dillydally View Post
    No go on the camo - I have actually been wishing for paisley and other fun designs. However, a deep red with charcoal is sharp.
    https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collect...printed-fabric
    Smart graphic design for all your needs by BGD

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    mule tape
    I generally don't care for camo, unless it's multicam. I love multicam on just about everything. Other than that, I prefer the more tacticool, earthy colors like od, fde, coyote tan/brown. I'm not trying to be invisible when I am out camping, but I don't like bright colors screaming HERE I AM. Unless it's hunting season or in an emergency situation. I do however make my dog wear a blaze orange vest when ever we go out.

20161018_115454.jpg

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 ROBIC XL
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly CRL
    Insulation
    HG UQ 20 / TQ 30
    Suspension
    DIY CL/Mule Tape
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xtrm611 View Post
    Been going back and forth on the camo for the next hammock. I think the camo hammocks look pretty sharp, but you end up covering it with an under quilt. Kinda kills the effect, unless you have a camo under quilt. My current choice has been charcoal gray. I get my color from the top quilt, Burnt Orange.
    I stand corrected.......check out the hammock in Shug's video:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ewn-to-hammock
    TO EACH THEIR OWN....

• + New Posts
  • Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast