WBBB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc 0/UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken Halo View Post
    I assume you're thinking about doing a one way, 3 day, section of the Sheltowee. I don't have a map in front of me. But, I think you'd be looking at a lil over 10 mi/day (15 mi?). Certainly doable. But, you may not have a lot of extra time to spend at Yahoo Fall, Yahoo Arch, Bark Camp Cascades, Dog Slaughter Falls, etc. I might suggest starting at Yamacraw and also checking out Princess Falls. You could take Trail 612 & 602 past Princess Falls, Markers Arch, Yahoo Arch and Yahoo Falls. Then pick back up the Sheltowee.
    FYI - backcountry camping is not allowed within the State Park at Cumberland Falls. There is also a minor re-route of the ST in the State Park; easy enough to figure out if you have a map. We just did a few miles around Cumberland - HERE. And, backcountry camping in BSF requires a permit ($5) and can be purchased online.

Do you have a map for the Sheltowee? Pretty good maps HERE.
    Did you by chance use a GPS with GPX tracks or just a paper map? I was directed by another member to the outrageGIS mapping page and was just wondering. Nice trip report. Sounds like WET FUN The trip itself is still up in the air. We are wanting 2 nights on the trail and the ability to see some cool sights. All this information is great, thanks.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    DIY/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by yakitup View Post
    Did you by chance use a GPS with GPX tracks or just a paper map? I was directed by another member to the outrageGIS mapping page and was just wondering. Nice trip report. Sounds like WET FUN The trip itself is still up in the air. We are wanting 2 nights on the trail and the ability to see some cool sights. All this information is great, thanks.
    I do not (outrageGIS offers GPS data for the Sheltowee). I might have some after April if I decide to carry GPS. The section from
    Cumberland is pretty straight forward.

The green on the attached map is the Sheltowee. Due to high water we had to take Trail 12 around to Trail 7 back down to Trail 1/Sheltowee (red on map). The normal reroute is just using Trail 7 (yellow on the map). The reroute is to bypass a washout that has not been fixed. The Sheltowee is pretty well marked on this section.

CumberlandFallsMap.JPG

You originally said you wanted something in the DBNF. But, if you are willing to stay in the BSF you can could make a nice 2 night route using the Yahoo Falls trails and the Sheltowee to make a loop (similar to what I previously suggested). Or, go to the TN West area and make a loop going past Slave Falls and Twin Arches (see HERE).

Good luck!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12