AL > Sipsey water crossings

Hey everyone,

So I am currently planning on making my first trip down to the Sipsey Wilderness this weekend to try out some new gear. However, as anyone who lives in the South knows, we've been getting slammed with rain for the last 24 hours and there are flood warnings across the vast majority of North Alabama. Having said that, would it still be possible to work a trip into the Sipsey? I'm not really worried about trail conditions and/or camping as I'm a fairly experienced backpacker. I've been studying the map and it's the stream crossings that have me concerned at this point. However, without having been there before, it's hard to judge how significant they are, especially with the recent rain.

Any help, advice, or general wisdom regarding the Sipsey and rain would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    I would not attempt to cross any streams in the SWA right now!http://waterdata.usgs.gov/al/nwis/uv?site_no=02450250 If you must go, park at Borden TH, Thompson TH, Brazile TH or Gum Pond TH. Parking at these will allow you to cross any major creeks by a bridge. FYI, there is a trail along the west side of Borden Creek paralleling Trail 200. Maps and trail descriptions here:http://www.sipseywilderness.org/index.html

Well, on second thought, I may still try to head down there. I may try to park at Borden and use that west side trail to connect to 209. Thanks for the info!
    Last edited by hewittdallas; 12-26-2015 at 09:16.

Hammock
    Wbrr
    Tarp
    Noahs 12
    Insulation
    New river uq
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by squidbilly View Post
    I would not attempt to cross any streams in the SWA right now!http://waterdata.usgs.gov/al/nwis/uv?site_no=02450250 If you must go, park at Borden TH, Thompson TH, Brazile TH or Gum Pond TH. Parking at these will allow you to cross any major creeks by a bridge. FYI, there is a trail along the west side of Borden Creek paralleling Trail 200. Maps and trail descriptions here:http://www.sipseywilderness.org/index.html
    Going to change user name from squidbilly to mr sipsey .

Hammock
    Darien
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    I think I'm going to try and take.the family on a day hike from the Thompson trailhead to eye of the needle this weekend. My main concern is the drive to the trailhead. It's a long muddy drive in after a decent amount of rain.

Thanks for the help squidbilly! I ended up making a trip to Sipsey this weekend. Just wrote up the trip report here.

• + New Posts